[3.16] Doryani's Prototype Lightning Dancing Duo

After severe changes to skilltree and removal of dodge many classic Dancing Duo setups became obsolete. Elementalist phys impale got hit last patch, Doedre's skin cold, poison and chaos users sustained damage as well. Not to mention EE is nerfed and moved in a somewhat inconvenient place to devastate cold and elemental variations. I was sad. And then I've made a groundbreaking discovery that I want to share with a small club of DD users...I've found a way to use Doryani's prototype and have armor based defense layers instead of stacking evasion through blind and flaskmancing.

I'm very happy with it. Although not strongest but it's my most reliable Dancing Duo variation at the current state of the game. Aside from obscene levels of mitigation from Champion's armor bonuses and permanent Fortify the coolest thing about this particular variation is that with "First to strike, Last to fall" and [CWDT]+[Molten shell] you can reliably catch and negate damage spikes.

Pros and Cons
Spoiler

+From 3 to 9 mil Shaper DPS
+Good clear speed and single target damage output
+Reasonably tanky with over 35k raw armor + fortify + adrenaline

-Low life. barely 5k
-Manual rampage upkeep
-Sweaty boss battles(short optimal damage rotation)
-Any lightning degen is instant death
-Low chaos res
-Impossible to leaguestart
-SSF and HC unfriendly
-"no player regen" may rarely kill DD. And rare combination of map mods "no leech + elemental reflect" is impossible.

PoBs, Ascendancy, Bandits, Pantheon
Spoiler

Cheap gear
https://pastebin.com/RRM9f9QU
Experimental expensive setup
https://pastebin.com/mJyZi5Qb

Ascendancy
1.Unstoppable Hero
2.Fortitude
3.Inspirational
4.First to strike, Last to fall.

Bandits: Kill All

Pantheon

Ryslatha and The Brine King
Note that previously The Brine King pantheon was protecting from chainfreeze. Now it grants immune from it.

Build Concept
Spoiler

QUAD DAMAGE

Generally we cannot rely on DD doing strong singular hits for purposes of inflicting shocks but I've figured the way.
We can scale DD's damage with crit. Critical strike guarantees elemental ailment application, so, if we could stack some amount of double damage and by using [Ruthless support] It's possible to deal double-double damage that could be critical and apply a substantial shock.
(*Note that only raw damage volume accounted towards shock effect aka damage before critical multiplier)
But due to the nature of lightning damage and many damage conditions it remains to be highly volatile.

Damage conditions and DPS rotation
Spoiler

Bossing damage rotation should go in two steps: Priming and Sustain.
Priming: Walk to the boss and start whacking it with Smite a couple of times until you get the Smite buff, signifying that you've successfully landed a hit on a boss. It's important to hit the boss with only smite and not damage it with flamedash by mistake. Then summon DD.
Sustain: Within combat your rotation should be as follows:
[Arcanist Brand]=>[Summon Skeletons]+[Smite]=>[Summon Skeletons]+[Smite]
Brand every 8 seconds, Skeletons and Smite TOGETHER every 4 seconds.

Experimental version of the build requires adding [Mark Prey] from [Predator support] to brand application.

Within damage rotation we generate and upkeep these conditions:

*Permanent Intimidate
(the entirety of priming.(First to strike, Last to fall))
*Ancient Skull effect
*Smite "aura" buff
*Power charges from Assassin's mark
*Frenzy charges from Poacher's mark
*Ghastly jewel's minion bonus damage with 4 second duration
*Feeding frenzy buff
*And shock effect

For map bosses or dangerous bosses you don't want to come close to you may skip priming stage and usage of an arcanist brand.
Due to unstable nature of this conditional damage for fairness sake I'm assuming that skeletons are not going to get all conditions within 4 second rotation or be able to take full advantage of charges. It's accounted in PoB by giving skeletons (deal -50% less damage) penalty.

-=Gear=-
With introduction of Krangleverse it is now possible to somewhat hunt for negative lightning resistance. Gloves, helmet and in high budget option boots could be krangled without much thought because we generally need only unique property of theirs.

Helmet
Spoiler

Core component. To clarify what it does: When minions "hear whispers" after critical hit - they get +50% increased minion damage and attack speed but they degen 20% of their health with chaos damage every second for 5 seconds. For the purposes of our minions basically skeletons are immortal first 4 seconds after summoning(due to "Blessed Rebirth" cluster notable) and DD has obscene level of natural mitigation from everything so it doesn't care as well.

Gloves
Spoiler

Core component. Converts most of physical damage that our minions do to Lightning.
Also very important note gloves colors should be B=G=B B as in 3 blue but TOP RIGHT has to be GREEN. In case if you'll fumble with cast speeds you can change order of marks by swapping arcanist brand and assassin's mark around. I'll explain it in link section.
Why it's not 4 blue? Because I can't find a way to fit in 4 blue and it's not a big damage loss.

Boots
Spoiler

Any rare with resistances, life and MS would do at first.

Body armor
Spoiler

Core component. As you can see with it we can scale our damage by dumping OUR OWN lightning resistance into deep negatives. Effect is so strong NOTHING in the game can negate it. This is why our normal DPS and Shaper DPS is basically equal.
Apparently straight physical mitigation from all sources adds as lightning mitigation so now it's not necessary to have a redirect talisman.
Also it's not important to 6-link it right away. 4-5 linked skellies are fine at the beginning. Keep in mind different versions of the build are using different socket colors.

Dancing Duo
Spoiler

Here comes the boy. The chonkster. The most unwieldy minion in the game. The best.
*It is very hard to color it properly. You'll always going to end up with GBBRRR instead of proper BBBRRR or BBBBRR. So try to roll it with bench by using "one socket is blue" recipe. Once you'll get rid of a green socket either use harvest to color it or Betreyal->research->Vorici to get a white socket or two.
*Reminder: you don't have to link weapon at all. It works like that.
*Quality on the weapon seems to directly contribute to Duos damage output and all harvest enchants seem to hurt the damage. So don't enchant it. Rather when you'll be done with colors - Beastcraft 30% quality instead.
Rolls on the weapon also contribute the minion damage so try to find as high as possible. lil secret: Dancing Dervish retains it's rolls after prophecy upgrade
*in fact almost any modification on the weapon counts. Including Heist enchants and Keystone or stat corruptions. But beware GEM SUPPORTS IS THE ONLY THING THAT DON'T WORK. So no to lvl 10 fortify for us. And generally global accuracy implicit is good nowdays anyway.
*I've said keystone corruptions. And I've meant "Resolute technique". it bricks the build completely. Unless you're using other non crit variation of DD.
*Dancing Duo has something around 99.9% of natural mitigation from all damage and it's generally considered to be immortal. But it's not. "No regen" map modifier can occasionally destroy them and "no leech+elemental reflect" if occured together is more or less impossible. You could turtle through it tho if necessary. This is why I have at least some source of leech. Minion regen is not quite enough by itself. Also because of that mechanic - They could be used as a target for link spells. But that's for you to theorycraft.

Jewelry
Spoiler

Rings Must have open suffix for you to benchcraft minion movement speed. It is VITAL and always should be a consideration.
On high budget get Life, cold res, fire res ring with open preffix and suffix. Fill suffix with minion movement speed and slam Redeemer orb on preffix. Pray to hit minion damage.

[Perquil's Toe]
As amulet since we don't need redirect talisman. If PoB to be believed huge amount of armor and fortify should negate large lightning hit damage while lightning degen although still deadly shouldn't be affected by this amulet. It's purpose to make our volatile range of our minion damage less so.
Annoits: Lord of the dead or Ravenous Horde(preferably)

Belt and Writhing Jar
Spoiler

Another very important component of this build is Writhing jar. Not only we use it to upkeep rampage but also to sustain ourselves because it's basically the only way to do so.
With masteries, "Profane Chemistry", "Arcane chemistry" notables and "Mender's Wellspring" cluster notable - Writhing jar now removes all elemental ailments and bleed and regenerates 5 charges every 3 second
Belt is a vital synergistic component of this flask because if you'll get a belt with affix "Reduced flask charges used"(RFCU) then Writhing jars could be popped three times instead of two.

There's a little problem in pointing out how much you need though. PoB says that you need only 13% belt RFCU and 16% flask RFCU but it's not enough ingame. 14% belt RFCU and 19% flask RFCU work, so I'd suggest to get 1%-2% off max on both. Thankfully belt RFCU is an affix with just one tier so it's a question of a couple of divines to get it high at least in there.

Other Flasks and Flask Setups
Spoiler

Running 3 Writhing jars feels most optimal but the other two must be swapped according to situation.
Generally Basalt and Granite flasks are good all rounders boosting our armor to 80k. Quartz helps to not stuck in delve, Ruby and Sapphire(including taste of hate) are helping if you've rolled -max% player res or elemental weakness.
On endgame bosses I'd suggest equipping a fourth Writhing jar and corresponding resistance flask. Al-Hezmin and Sirus -> amethyst, Phoenix - > ruby and so on.
Final note - I suggest running poison removal on every flask setup. In conjunction with low chaos res it's hard to overheal it in time.

Jewels
Spoiler

Min roll "Brute force solution" very precisely solves all problems with intelligence. We are starved on resistances on gear and DEX/INT/STR are a suffix so it's a good solution in this situation.
I like to use "From Dust" because you summon skellies in one go. Due to low mana regen and small mana pool without it there will be a delay between casts and that feels very bad. Also both of those gems could be target for Corrupted blood immunity (And if you'll annoit Charisma and the other one of the jewels get 2% mana reservation effeciency - then you can remove small aura reservation cluster and save 2 skill points).

Ghastly jewels is a major bulk of our damage. Generally I consider them to be of 3 variations:
*T1 added minion lightning damage and conditional minion damage bonus.
In theory that could be alt-spammed because both of them are a preffix and a suffix.
Omega expensive and imposible to find
They must have +maximum life, added minion lightning damage, +Minion movement speed, conditional minion damage bonus.
Or possibly added minion physical damage, added minion lightning damage, +Minion movement speed, conditional minion damage bonus.
I've never saw one. I would assume because two of those affixes don't have tiers it would be possible to use divine tear to max them out. But I'm not going to try.
*Minion leech jewel with any of above listed affixes
When you'll unspeck minion leech mastery I'd suggest to still run it on a ghastly jewel. I didn't mentioned a "chance to blind" on a jewel. For the purposes of the build it's technically increases chance to hit and could be a nice addition to a leech jewel. You need only one.
For crafting purposes pick Ghastly jewels of ilvl 82
(Note: I call it "conditional minion damage bonus" but it reads as "Minions deal #% increased damage if you've used a Minion Skill Recently". Basically that's why we summon skellies every 4 seconds)
Thread of hope
Don't have one yet but "Very Large Radius" one with utmost minimal rolls is an option for high budget. Refer to PoB to look at where it is and what it does.

Clusters
Spoiler

Mine are scuffed beyond reason but you can refer to PoB's for proper direction.
Quick overview for cheap clusters:
9-10 passives large minion damage with Renewal (ilvl 50)
4 passives flask duration with Mender's Wellspring (ilvl 68)
4 passives minion life with Blessed rebirth (ilvl 68)
2 passives small aura reservation with either Frantic aspect, Electric presence or Uncompromising (ilvl 68)
Quick overview for expensive clusters:
9-10 passives large minion damage with Renewal, Vicious Bite and optional chaos res(ilvl 75)
4-5 passives flask duration with Mender's Wellspring and Peak Vigour (ilvl 68)
4-5 passives minion life with Blessed rebirth and Renewal (ilvl 68)
Measured and balanced. Perfectly fits the build, gives our minions protection, damage and significantly boosts Writhing jar healing capabilities.

-=Links=-
Spoiler

Dancing Duo
[Minion Damage]-[Added lightning damage]-[Multistrike]-[Ruthless]-[Elemental damage with attacks]

Last link should be [Increased Critical Damage] but if your Dancing duo colors are GBBRRR and you can't get that one green to go away - use [Hypothermia]. That sliver of cold damage DD does through green triad grip socket will chill up to yellow maps.
[(a)Minion Damage]-[Increased Critical Damage]-[Predator]-[Concentrated Effect]-[Ruthless]-[(a)Elemental damage with attacks]
Awakened Multi is expensive and impairs singular hit damage for purposes of inflicting shock. Consider it to be experimental. Predator could be swapped with multi if you can't recolor the sword or don't want fourth manual input on bosses.

Skeletons
[Summon Skeletons]-[Minion damage]-[Multistrike]-[Feeding Frenzy]
last two supports are [Elemental damage with attacks] and [Added lightning damage]
Again, not necessary to 6 link it right away. You can use jeweler's touch to guarantee 5 link. Just keep in mind to link them feeding frenzy as soon as you can. They are a buffer and fallback option mostly.
[Summon Skeletons]-[(a)Minion damage]-[Feeding Frenzy]-[Summon Phantasm]-[(a)Elemental Focus]-[Predator]
All blue sockets. Unorthodox but I like phantasms and technically this setup outputs more boss damage, lets you to have larger bulk of minions for shielding purposes and it's a source of predator support because when Duos are flying out - all gems in the sword are technically disabled and you need another for [Signal Prey] activation.

Marking trick
*Must go in a glove slot
[arcanist brand]-[poacher's mark]-[assasin's mark]
Keep Arcanist brand at lvl 1 with 0 quality.
Keep Poacher's mark at lvl 1 with 20% quality. (not sure about level of this one. I'll just keep it as 1 for possible mana conservation)
*When you attach brand to a mob it's start to curse the target with marks in the link order. Marks will rythmically replace eachother giving Duos a window to get both frenzy and power charges while they're striking the mob with according mark. That's very big.
*Link poacher's mark and assassin's mark to arcanist brand in a such way so LAST MARK IN NORMAL CONDITIONS after brand expiration from the enemy would be assassin's mark(we need that crit). If something is wrong - it's possible to swap positions of marks in B=G=B link connection.
*[Arcanist brand]=[Poacher's mark]=[Assassin's mark] will leave one mark to be the last on the target.
[Assassin's mark]=[Poacher's mark]=[Arcanist brand] will leave another.
*Remember that quality on marks is something that gives DD and skellies charges, not mark itself.

Cast When Damage Taken
[CWDT]-[Molten shell]
Obvious thing is obvious. I like to keep them within a zone of 1k life. It's CWDT lvl 8 - molten shell lvl 14. Stop leveling them at this point and don't fudge it up. If you did - take the gem, take one orb of scouring and sell them together to a vendor. This will downlevel a non-corrupted gem by 1 level.

Auras
[Haste]-[Wrath]-[Smite]-[Generosity]
Auras we don't need for ourselves. Don't be lazy smiting.
In a high budget setup Vaal haste and Phantasmal Smite should be a consideration.

Unlinked Gems
[Determination], [Defiance Banner], [Flame Dash]
*Special note about Defiance banner. When you throw it out on full charges(that are generally full) it gives 15% less damage multiplier to mobs around for 7.5 seconds.
*Flame dash is the only blue movement ability I can recommend. It must be in a glove slot.

-=Leveling=-
Spoiler

As I've said - leaguestart is impossible. You'll need leveling gear and mule literally all gems and then have transitional gear (the one without lightning resistance) at level 67. But it's not that bad.
PoB: https://pastebin.com/W7wTuA60
Leveling gear
Spoiler

Something like that. Tabula enables 6linked skill, Aurumvorax and Goldrim fixes resistances, Perandus blazon and one "Le heup of all" gives initial bulk of stats while you're travelling up the tree.
I suggest to fill rest of the gear slots with something life centric (even avoiding Wanderlust). Also cheeky low level essence of fear can help with minion damage at the start. Throw it in on one handed weapon (any, except wands because Aurumvorax is one handed sword) and equip it in left hand.
*Don't forget to take Minion Leech mastery!
I was genuenly surprised how good 4 linked absolution is. Like you can start rolling with it without relying on Animate Weapons too much. Obviously bossing is something they can't do but everything else - truly amazing.
Do not link them with spell echo! It's a mistake.
Animate Weapon is a single target focused skill. In conjunction with everything else like Wrath, Smite, Conductivity and Carrion golem this setup has enough beef to get through campaign in one piece.
*Don't forget for AW summoning - Ethereal Knives are an option to generate blades at lvl 1 before bladefall will be available.
*Another note: Absolution needs "skill duration" investment. Don't forget to get to "exceptional performance" tree notable. AW and phantasms will last longer too.
*While leveling in your swap slots start leveling Dancing Duo supports.

-=Leveling Links=-
Utmost start
[Ground Slam]-[Chance to Bleed]-[Ruthless]
[Smite]
You can level up with a singular unlinked melee skill here

Level 4
[Animate weapon]-[Summon Phantasm]-[Chance to bleed]-[Ruthless]
[Smite]
[Ethereal blades]
AW is level 4 skill. At this point you'll need to look for intelligence on gear. For now amulet with int implicit will suffice

Level 8
[Animate weapon]-[Minion Damage Support]-[Added Lightning damage]-[Added Cold Damage]-[Summon Phantasm]-[Maim Support]
[Smite]
[Ethereal blades]
Power of 6 link will show itself very early. Should be very easy leveling but keep two mana flasks

Level 12
[Animate weapon]-[Minion Damage Support]-[Added Lightning damage]-[Added Cold Damage]-[Maim Support]-[Melee Splash]
[Absolution]-[Minion Damage Support]-[Added Lightning damage]-[Summon Phantasm]
[Smite]
[Ethereal blades]
Shift Phantasms to Absolution and that's pretty much the absolution setup that's going to the endgame

Level 18
Replace [Added Cold Damage] on AW with [Melee Physical Damage Support]. The rest is unchanged.

Level 24
Equip [Wrath] aura and [Conductivity] curse.
One aura should suffice without making mana pool too small, manually throw conductivity at tougher packs or bosses

Level 28
Swap [Etherial blades] with [Bladefall]

Level 31
Link [Generosity] to [Wrath] and [Smite]

Level 34
Equip [Carrion Golem]
Triad grips are available. You might consider using them. I leveled without them.
Animate Weapon setup with Triad grips should be:
[Animate weapon]-[Minion Damage Support]-[Added Lightning Damage]-[Elemental Damage With Attacks]-[Elemental Focus]-[Lightning Penetration]
Animate Weapon setup without Triad grips should be:
[Animate weapon]-[Minion Damage Support]-[Added Lightning Damage]-[Melee Physical Damage Support]-[Maim]-[melee splash]

Level 38
In Triad grip setup remove [Lightning Penetration], in gripless setup remove [Melee Splash] - replace it with [Multistrike]
If you have spare links link [Bladefall] with [Unleash]

Level 50
You may consider "Victario's Charity" shield as an option to generate frenzy charges for that juicy damage boost when necessary. All you have to do is shower bosses or packs of mobs with unleashed bladefall.

And that's about it. After killing A8 today I've decided to write my stunted and confusing discoveries for posterity sake and for other DD users to try. I'm not planning to update this or respond to questions often. Sorry in advance.
Last edited by Woobby on Nov 23, 2021, 8:14:09 PM
Last bumped on Nov 15, 2021, 3:38:01 AM
Interesting build. Noob questions though: how are u mittigating the effect of Doryani Prototype?
How would an impale build with Master of Metal Ascendancy compare to this in terms of dps? (Currently most DD builds on poe.ninja are using that)
(Rewrote most of the "guide" it so it would be more clear and easier to digest)

"how are u mittigating the effect of Doryani Prototype?"
Like any other Doryani's build - with Talisman that redirects half of the lightning damage to cold or fire. Be aware that's talisman helps with only HITS not the degen.

"How would an impale build with Master of Metal Ascendancy compare to this in terms of dps?"
Not sure. My attempts to make phys impale champion ended up being inferior in terms of damage but I might be missing something. But phys impale is more consistent in terms of damage though.
Awesome, my two favorite items. Prototype and Duo. Well done.

"
How would an impale build with Master of Metal Ascendancy compare to this in terms of dps? (Currently most DD builds on poe.ninja are using that)

I am playing the build atm. So excited to not have to play Scion for flask upkeep. This league I am through T16s just fine, and I don't get 1 shot in Scourge until 150+ stacks. I will say it feels amazing, super fast. (Scaling Pride, War Banner, and F&S+Maim makes for a massive physical damage increase. Additionally, I have dropped impale support because Dread Banner gives 100% impale chance. At 29 fortify stacks with remade kingmaker on AG, it basically gives fortify effect for us now.)

I honestly don't know my way around PoB enough to give you a number. But conquerors last ~15-20 seconds?
"
sirisacc wrote:

I am playing the build atm. So excited to not have to play Scion for flask upkeep. This league I am through T16s just fine, and I don't get 1 shot in Scourge until 150+ stacks. I will say it feels amazing, super fast. (Scaling Pride, War Banner, and F&S+Maim makes for a massive physical damage increase. Additionally, I have dropped impale support because Dread Banner gives 100% impale chance. At 29 fortify stacks with remade kingmaker on AG, it basically gives fortify effect for us now.)

I saw you're using Behead support, does that work with DD? Do they get the monster modifier? In 3.15 someone was saying that it doesn't work. I also didn't notice anything when playing.
And no minion speed support? Most guides said that speed is really important for DD
Last edited by 0000000100 on Nov 8, 2021, 6:54:23 AM
I didn't love arcanist's brand, as it's very annoying to use while mapping, and I'd at least like to have access to some charges when clearing mobs. Currently using battlemage's cry with assassin's mark and the call to arms keystone to map on left-click. Wondering if going double curse with battlemage's cry is viable since frenzy ape specters would likely just die from the degen of ancient skull.

With that being said, marks would still feel terrible for mapping because the one targeted enemy usually dies too fast to generate charges, and battlemage's cry is stuck with a whopping 8-second cooldown without cooldown recovery since they nerfed second wind =/

Interestingly enough, an 8-second cooldown might not be so bad if marks hit multiple enemies and thus allowed us to barely maintain 3 charges, since they have a 10-second duration. It's like the perfect combination of nerfs between curses, warcries, and second wind to make automated charge generation extremely difficult without heavy investment.

Also wondering If Conqueror might be better than first to strike, last to fall; as one-shots are still somewhat common for me in high-level scourges with around 4.7k health. The intimidate feels like it rarely comes into play because dervishes are much faster and will likely hit enemies before you do. Not sure though, since adrenaline is pretty nice.
"
I saw you're using Behead support, does that work with DD?

The modifier stealing part doesn't but range and more damage on low life does.
DD is a very uncommon archetype and in general there's somewhat little difference in what support to use. Damage on full life, Concentrated effect, Pulverize - depending on situation are viable solutions. I'm thinking about removing Multistrike out of my build and changing it into conc effect because I've forgot that Multi actually substantially hurts damage of a singular strike reducing shock effect in the end.

"
I didn't love arcanist's brand, as it's very annoying to use while mapping, and I'd at least like to have access to some charges when clearing mobs. Currently using battlemage's cry with assassin's mark and the call to arms keystone to map on left-click. Wondering if going double curse with battlemage's cry is viable since frenzy ape specters would likely just die from the degen of ancient skull.

Build doesn't use any minion life or minion protection of any kind. So spectres(and basically any other permanent minion) are not viable, yes.
Using such weird gimmick feels like a waste. The main purpose of a "marking trick" is to ramp up on bosses specifically. There's very little could be done to generate charges while mapping...Except if you're going to use [Power charge on crit support] on Duos and manually throw poacher's mark or using battlemage's cry like you do. While researching this point I wanted to offer Cold Snap as a solution to generate frenzy charges but apparently it doesn't work on minions. So it's only poacher's.

"

Also wondering If Conqueror might be better than first to strike, last to fall; as one-shots are still somewhat common for me in high-level scourges with around 4.7k health. The intimidate feels like it rarely comes into play because dervishes are much faster and will likely hit enemies before you do. Not sure though, since adrenaline is pretty nice.

Again Intimidate effect is a primarily bossing tool but having a buffer of 25% of life is good nonetheless. Plus it's important to balance things around relatively small lifepool because it feels more efficient to heal with jars from low life(below 50%) position.
With technically immortal DDs and temporarily immortal skellies Conqueror grants 10% damage reduction to player and that's it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info