[0.10.4] Lucky Seven - 2-Hander Aura Cyclone Build

STOP!

You will need these:
Spoiler

+ Anger gem (which you can get from Brutus marauder quest)

Mask is purely for putting auras on. I bought mine for 1 alchemy, they are dime-a-dozen so you should be able to get one cheap/easy http://poe.xyz.is/search?league=Default&name=simula should give you an idea of just how common they are.

Now that that's out of the way...

-----

The build (level 78):

-----

How the build works

Spoiler
By taking the reduced mana reservation passives coupled with level 17+ mana reduce gem you are able to run a massive FOUR percentage auras at once!

By using the bloodmagic mask, you can then run the standard grace / anger / wrath gems off your HP for the minimal outlay of roughly 320HP (max level) giving huge damage / defence boost.

... So you've got seven auras on, now what?

Well, you should also have 2% leech and around 7% HP regeneration from this build too! 5.4% from passives + ~2% from max level vitality with inner-force, meaning that the ~200% mana multiplier from blood-magic skill gems is barely noticeable, even with a resource-hungry skill like cyclone!

This build could also easily be used for a ground-slam build instead but lets be real, cyclone is much cooler :)

You can link your cyclone (or ground-slam - ew!) as you see fit, the more links you can get the higher your damage will be, and the better auras will scale. I highly recommend concentrated effect; it is single handedly the largest damage increase you'll see from any support gem for this skill. If you can get your hands on a quality cyclone - that is also invaluable, and should be cheap since everyone hates the skill.

-----

Pros & Cons

Spoiler

Pros:
-High health and regeneration
-You can use any two-hand weapon for the build
-Cyclone is stun-immune during animation, meaning stun mitigation is not necessary
-Benefits from both armour AND evasion
-7 auras, all beneficial to yourself and to any group members
-With enfeeble up, there should be very few enemies you will struggle with
-You can easily function as the group tank

Cons
-Desync - this will likely be your single biggest threat - if you desync in the middle of pack of nasty mobs, it can be deadly
-You're always in melee range to deal damage (need I say more)
-Gear dependant - like all melee builds you will be reliant on having OK gear to deal with damage mitigation & when you don't, you'll really notice it
-Your damage/kill-speed will likely never match up to an LA ranger/Freeze-pulse or EK build, but if you want those easy-mode type builds, you're looking the wrong place.

-----

Skill gems to use

Spoiler
Cyclone: will be your bread-and-butter, use this for practically everything; since it hits like a little school-girl, physical reflect mobs are no hassle, since due to the way armour mitigation works you'll be doing minimal damage to yourself. Same goes for elemental reflects.

Heavy strike & Leap slam: these skills are optional, even if you dont link them to anything but blood magic, heavystrike will typically give you better single-target damage than cyclone, and leap-slam is useful only for navigating the battle-field whether you are entering or leaving combat, or exploiting the surrounding area to jump over rivers / up&down ledges

Enduring Cry: Self explanatory really, use this for that extra little bit of physical/elemental resistance to cap yourself off against those particularly nasty enemies.

Enfeeble: This little baby is your main survivability tool, this, plus whatever evasion you have (from grace + any items you have with evasion) will be mitigating the lions share of the incoming damage. Don't underestimate this curse, it turns scary monsters like the spider map boss into little puppies by lowering their accuracy/damage/crit chance/crit multplier by 35% (or more)!

-----

Build Order

Spoiler
The order you build in is really not that important since you can't really go wrong.

But if you absolutely need guidance... I would start by taking an early resolute technique for leveling, then go down to the duelist nodes and taking Beserking/Acceleration/Master of the Arena skills as priority.

Once I've got most/all the duelist nodes (I would ignore increased armour & aura reservation nodes until around level ~68) I would then make my way up to the templar tree to take the HP/Regen nodes & increased area of effect nodes.

After that point you should be around 50-60, and can basically do what you want, take nodes as you see fit but be sure to prioritise inner-force and to a lesser extent static blows. You'll also want to take the mana aura reserveration nodes around this time too.

Once you hit around level 70, your reduced mana gem should be leveled to the point where you can start running your four percentage auras at once. Even with crappy links you should still be able to run the majority of your auras - see the videos section for a demonstration.

-----

Bandits

Spoiler

Normal: Take 40HP from Oak
Cruel: Kill all for skill point
Merciless: Kill all for skill point

-----

Gearing / Equipment

Spoiler
Armour
You'll want to focus mainly (possibly only) on armour based gear, once you've got ~6K armour with passives/auras on, (not including flask), you could then also start thinking about getting some more evasion.

Asides from that you'll want the standard - max our your resists the best of your ability, purity can greatly help here - but you'll want to over-cap your resists if possible so that you can run elemental-weakness maps.

Weapon
You'll want to get yourself some kind of gnarly two hand weapon with huge deeps, whether it's elemental or physical based is not highly important, if elemental then you will benefit much more from static blows/weapon ele dmg nodes, than if the weapon is pure physical, but it's not too important.

As for attacks-per-second, because cyclone has such ridiculous increased attack speed, this is also not much of an issue, if you're weapon is too fast however, you might find yourself suiciding on lightning-thorns enemies, in which case slower weapons are actually beneficial.

Here is my gear as a rough guide:
Spoiler

Note that you DO NOT need an astramentis for this build, there are pleanty of 30-point dex & int nodes along the way you can potentially take, coupled with some items you can easily make the stat requirements for the gems you need to use.

-----

Videos!

Map boss-kill compilation
(character level 73-74)

Dungeon map
(character level 64)
Spoiler

Note that this is an earlier iteration of this build, but *mostly* the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avNTUikFw4A

How to apply auras using blood-magic unique/reduce mana gem (with poorly linked items!)
(character level 64)
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
great build, was looking for something like that, i just dont get why u use leather and steel since its way better not having mov speed in this build at all cuz u will end up doing insanely more dps moving slower with cyclone, im still upgrading my build but by wht i can tell actually having alot of armor gear and using no ms % adding the penalty from armor is a must to deal at least 3x more dps in a build like this.
Provided you stay on top of them, enemies will still die at the same rate regardless of your movement speed, you'll just have to cast cyclone more frequently.

If it were the old version of cyclone I would tend to agree, but since the minimum range on cyclone is much much lower now, fast movement speed is much less of a problem.

Personally I prefer the greater degree of control you get with faster movement speed, it helps me avoid charging enemies and projectiles; basically a lot harder to die when you're fast-moving.

Ultimately though it's a preference thing. You'll need to click a lot less if you're slow :)
Last edited by Zeekin on Apr 4, 2013, 5:52:15 AM
"
Zeekin wrote:
Provided you stay on top of them, enemies will still die at the same rate regardless of your movement speed, you'll just have to cast cyclone more frequently.

If it were the old version of cyclone I would tend to agree, but since the minimum range on cyclone is much much lower now, fast movement speed is much less of a problem.

Personally I prefer the greater degree of control you get with faster movement speed, it helps me avoid charging enemies and projectiles; basically a lot harder to die when you're fast-moving.

Ultimately though it's a preference thing. You'll need to click a lot less if you're slow :)

I am running a similar build, and have to wholeheartedly agree. Speed = life. Once I am hitting enemies it's not a problem. The problem is mostly getting to the enemies and avoiding crappy situations.

My question is static blows. I too went static blows only to find out that static blows duration is based on your damage. Regardless of your % chance to affect enemies with static blows you have to apply it long enough for you to get any benefit.

FROM THE WIKI: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Status_Ailments

Shock

Shock causes affected targets to take increased damage. This can be stacked up to three times on one target. In this state, monsters or players take 40% more damage per instance of Shock from all sources. Under the effects of 3 stacks of Shock, an enemy would take an additional 120% of the damage that would normally take without any Shock effects, no matter the type or source of the damage.

Duration

The duration of the Chill, Freeze, and Shock statuses are related to the amount of cold or lightning damage dealt. Bonuses to their duration can also be granted by skills and support gems, passive skills, and item mods. Temporal Chains will also increase the duration of all Status Ailments.

The duration for these effects are calculated as follows:

Shock: 276ms per 1% max life dealt as lightning
Chill: 138ms per 1% max life dealt as cold
Freeze: 100ms per 1% max life dealt as cold

NOW THIS IS KEY

If the duration based on the damage would be less that 300ms, it's ignored entirely. The only exception is Ignite, which will still take place no matter the amount of fire damage done. All three are capped at considering 1/3 of max life - if you deal more than 1/3 max life as that element, the Status Ailment occurs as though you did exactly 1/3.

The maximum unmodified durations are therefore:

Shock: 9.2 seconds
Chill: 4.6 seconds
Freeze: 3.33 seconds

So I am thinking of pouring another BUNCH of regrets to get out of static. After spending around 20 to get into it myself :(
Last edited by thedom on Apr 4, 2013, 9:15:13 AM
If you've got static blows, but aren't dealing enough lightning damage to get the 'shocked' effect, you can remedy this by getting some gear with x-y lightning damage, e.g.
Spoiler

This plus wrath aura will basically guarantee those shocks. If you really want you could also consider using an elemental proliferation support gem on cyclone and watch all the enemies light up in a neon-blue glow.

If your build is aura heavy like mine, Inner-Force is an absolute must, and so you should be in the general area of static blows anyway; plus the 18% life node right next to it is nothing to sneer at. The +Int you get from skilling up there also helps a lot for gem requirements.
Last edited by Zeekin on Apr 5, 2013, 3:58:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info