[3.13] Strike Chieftain - EVERYTHING DONE: LV 100 / A9 SIRUS / MAVEN / THE FEARED / 36 Challenges

"

INTRO:
Hi all, I am the creator of the old Super Heavy Heavy Strike build (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2059743).

After the Harvest Manifesto I have decided to share this char because:
This league is your best chance and these are the last moments available to try a solid strike build and possibly enjoy it before league ends (and the end of 3.13 Harvest) - That is unless something major happens (for ex. a strike league/rework that is an actual buff rather than a sidenerf).

Specifically it is a Strike Chieftain with full fire conversion (Infernal Blow and/or Heavy Strike) which ended up being quite succesful (done level 100, 36 challenges, all bosses Maven & Feared included and A9 Sirus farmer capable of tanking the phase 3 die beam).

Needless to say this league I was back and playing the failproof HS jug that never fails me, when a buddy pointed me to watch Mathil's chieftain.

It showed potential indeed, so I went and adapted it into a strikes build "HS 10-20mil and more? sign me in!", I also carefully looked at other builds and incorporated lessons learned (from example how to get tankier from alka HC chars & the BB chieftain build in this forum).

My version ended up being more beefy while still dishing 10-20mil HS with a 740dps staff (about the equivalent damage of old Starforge).

I warn you it is a (probably the most) DIFFICULT build/archetype and also the weapon is EXPENSIVE, but you can get to lv100 and farm A9 Sirus & Maven no probs with it.

If you have patience, know how to obtain the gear (and make a tanky char), this dude will get you far.

Feared will be a great challenge due to the fact that strikes 100% suck mechanically (self-root while attacking = get spammed a lot), but I managed to do it without finishing the portals, proof in the vid & screens.

"

VIDEOS:
https://youtu.be/x0Pgl6sfo1Y

Path of Building Community Fork:
https://pastebin.com/tvX8tD6J

Spoiler
There are more trees saved:
I did level 100 and played afterwards with the Tanky tree.

In softcore you can easily get away with the Glassy tree (from 20 to 40mil dps) just don't expect to survive oneshots or reach 100 without dieing a lot.

"

PROS
- Tank level: Can tank Sirus beams phase 3 included but not the sirus maze meteor: 7k+ life, 33% fortify, 40% phys taken as fire, 78/77/77/75 resists.
- Or you can remove tank from the tree and get 40mil+ dmg with a typical softcore tank of ~6k hp & avg defenses

CONS
- Probably the hardest mechanics in the game: Melee Strike Skills + Life based + 2Handed
- This build WILL BE BAD in future leagues (just as it was prior to Harvest basically). It can possibly become outright subpar/shit tier after 3.13 league.
- The weapon is expensive. Compare a 10ex Paradoxica + Saviour with a 20-60ex staff.
You can farm noprobs with a Hegemony or 500-600dps weapon (cost: 50c to 5ex) but the latest content would be harder

Proof of content done

Boss Kills are in the video, Feared, Maven, Sirus etc
Level 100, Achievements, Feared were done 100% SOLO. No rotas, No carries, No achievement service trades (just to confirm that it can be done solo)

Level 100

Challenges

The Feared & 12pts Uncharted Realm Tree

Current Gear

Use it as a template/reference

The staff is a 740dps one
NONE of this gear does have elevated mods (so you can yet get better stuff than this in 3.13)

You can farm Sirus A9 (i was even doing it at lv99 before a crash ripped me once and had to hold it), this is how I obtained all the expensive Awakened gems (multistrike & melee phys dmg).
The Awakener orbs used for double influence are self farmed as well, also a couple of the conq exalted used in a couple items.

The easier content can be done with more basic gear (non influenced mods) or you can minmax it way further (with double/triple elevated mods & a better weapon)

ONLY VALID FOR RITUAL: Gear Explanation + Guide

STARTER GEAR: Highest life possible and resists everywhere (you need to get 109 resists to be immune to ele weakness)

ONLY VALID FOR RITUAL. POST RITUAL YOU WILL HAVE TO: Have back the feeling of closing your eyes and Exalting an item, scared to see whether you ruined it or not
source: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3069670

Disclaimer: This is how I crafted the stuff. There may possibly be better ways of which I am not aware, if so please share! And I apologize for any unwanted inconsistencies.

There is an extra tier of goodness that are elevated mods (done with maven orbs), but i personally didn't bother make that tier of gear.
Procedures are similar in the start with extra steps, please check other guides online for that type of gear.

FOR CRAFTING in Ritual Softcore:
1) Search and join "POE TFT Discord / The forbidden trove" & learn the posted rules. You can sell and buy any service here, harvest included but much more can be done in TFT
2) Use https://www.craftofexile.com Calculator and Emulator to learn every possible mod, their tags (life fire phys etc), weights and all the info

TOTAL COST when harvest crafting varies depending on harvest tries ofc, as an example i spent about 20-30ex on the gloves and these are "just" single influence non elevated.
My weapon is worth 15-20ex in trade but i have spent more than that amount by rerolling (and tiers are far from perfect).
So count 10-20 at least per gear you are harvest crafting plus alterations costs (2-8ex) awakener orb costs (4-5ex) or even maven orbs: 8-10ex PER TRY with a single try being a 50/50 to fail every time, and you logically want to get at least two elevated mods per item, if not three (100+ex per item)

PHILOSOPHY:
My overall focus was on Defense > Damage. I fkin hate oneshots and I think it is outright near impossible to get to 100 with a strike skill without the most tank that you can get.
It means the primary attributes are:
- Combined 100% ele ailment immunity
- As much as Phys taken as X element as possible (40% phys as fire)
- Ele reflection immunity
- Other goodies: Fortify effect (amulet), +max res (anointment), T1-T2 life, %inc life etc

CLUSTER JEWEL:
BASIC & MANDATORY PRIMARY: Fuel The Fight <- VERY IMPORTANT TO ACQUIRE QUICKLY
Fuel The Fight is your only source of mana leech for elemental damage. You will need it soon or later after you start mapping (otherwise you will have to go the -mana cost route which i dislike).
HOWTO: Just pick ANY eligible large jewel (even bow/claw ones) with any passives (8-12) and roll alts until you hit Fuel the Fight.
Advanced: Staff Cluster Jewel with: Fuel the Fight + Overlord + Martial Prowess/Other
The jewel with Overlord I've bought it for 5ex, I can't even think about crafting a 8pts triple one with the right combo (maybe a dual fuel + overlord)

GLOVES:
Primary: Strike skills +1 target - It is not gamechanging but it is a subtle damage boost, otherwise you can live without it and use normal gloves.
HOWTO:
I don't think there is a good way to craft these, so I simply alt spammed +1 strikes, regal and then fixed the item with harvest tags life, speed, physical (good luck as most all mods are to be added)

HELM:
Helm is one of the easier to make actually and especially required only one influence.
Enchant: Ancestral Protector Attack Speed
Primary mod: Phys damage taken as fire
Extra: Nearby enemies take % increased fire damage (!!!Requires ilvl85!!!)
HOWTO:
Get a good armor helm with the enchant. Spam alterations until you hit T1 life, then regal/annull/scour.
Once happy with the result, go with Warlord Exalt and pray rngeebus for some good warlord mod.
Now, IF you haven't got any of the needed phys-fire and nearby-fire:
1 Benchcraft the cheapest fire res to block this outcome from happening
2 Augment fire. You want to hit T1 Phys taken as fire (NOT nearby enemies take inc fire)
- If you didn't hit T1 phys: BENCHCRAFT remove crafted mod -> Harvest craft remove Fire -> Repeat from step 1
3 Once you have T1 Phys as fire. Augment fire again for guaranteed nearby enemies fire
4 Benchcraft Chance to avoid ele ailments
(IMO it HAS to have this procedure, because if you try rem/add fire you risk getting a fire resist (it doesnt happen if you control fire res with benchcraft), if you hit nearby enemies before phys to fire, you will need to extra gamble for T1 phys as fire and risk needing to fix a T2 phys-fire + nearby fire)
4 You can add/fix anything in the free affix, accuracy is a great one for example

CHEST:
Basic: Get any 6L chest you can put your hands on, I did like lv95 on a blue chest with t5 life so don't feel the fomo
Advanced:
Primary: ILVL84 Phys taken as Fire from Elder (NOT warlord)
Secondary: You and your minions take 100% reduced ele dmg (Just to confirm: this gives FULL REFLECT IMMUNITY)
HOWTO:
For Phys dmg taken as fire you can use the exact same procedure done for helm:
2 Augment fire. You want to hit T1 Phys taken as fire (NOT nearby enemies take inc fire)
- If you didn't hit T1 phys:
- BENCHCRAFT remove crafted mod and then
- Harvest craft remove Fire
-> Repeat from step 1
(IMO it HAS to have this procedure, because if you try rem/add fire you risk getting a fire resist (it doesnt happen if you control fire res with benchcraft))
3 Once done with phys as fire, go augment attack for guaranteed crit. If you have +life and all suffix full then you can probably try with another augment life for guaranteed %inc life

For double influence:
Get a good 6L armor, example ILVL 100 6L astral plate already 6W and beast split from trade either Elder or Redeemer based on price
Get another armor of any type you only need the correct missing influence and ilvl, example ilvl75 redeemer or ilvl84 elder armor of any type
- On elder base hit phys as fire with alt spam
- On redeemer base hit reflect immune with alt spam
- Use awakener from the shit armor to the good 6L armor & pray rngeebus
- Same as before can do augment attack for crit
- Add/Fix anything with harvest crafts

BOOTS:
Primary: Chance to avoid ele ailments from Shaper
Secondary: Tailwind on crit WARNING: Tailwind is friggin gdarn RARE: about 6ex in alts to get it. If you hit it, STOP RIGHT THERE, even an annul can make you cry if it goes wrong.
HOWTO:
Here not much to do i think, just alt spam till you hit the good mod then regal. In case of double influence, you do the awakener orb procedure.

BELT:
Your typical double/trires stygian vise.
OPTIONAL HOWTO:
- You can use the Harvest "chaos reroll with attack" it will always give you "Inc ele damage"
- Belts with an open prefix can use a Hunter orb (and possible remove/add influence mod) that gives %inc life

AMULET:
Anointment: Crystal Skin (15% avoid ele ailments +1 max resists). I have chosen Crystal Skin for the max res and to achieve ailment immunity, but you can go Panopticon if you want more damage
Primary: 15% Fortify effect. Obtained only via Essence of Horror.
Otherwise you can go with any amulet combo you prefer.

RING 1:
Trigger Assassin Mark
I bought this one but there are some methods to obtain one.
- Get ilvl80 shaper ring of desired type (two stone, diamond, steel etc)
1 Harvest mode: use chaos reroll caster (trigger mark is a caster mod)
2 Fossils mode:
- Scour ring, then use max +caster catalysts on it (it will increase caster mods likelihood)
- Use caster (optional + life etc) fossils on it

RING 2:
Aspect of the spider - It is NOT mandatory to have it on the ring (it can be crafted into other gear)
Otherwise use this ring to fill every gap in your stats, resists, dmg etc
ASPECT OF THE SPIDER HOWTO:
"Fenumal Hybrid Arachnid" beast, capture it or buy it from trade.
Go to the managerie -> Open portal to Fenumus Lair and beat him. He will unlock the beastcraft to add Aspect of the Spider suffix to your piece of gear.

Mapping & Bossing

During mapping there is nothing special to manage besides keeping potions up. Just run and gun as much as a melee 2hander can allow you to do.

- (Experimenter's) Quicksilver flask of Adrenaline is important to keep a decent move speed.
- Endurance Charges are generated from a staff-related point in the passive tree (not core but still gives extra tank goodies)
- Frenzy Charges come if you equip Blood Rage, either standalone or in CWDT (not mandatory imo) (or an expensive option is to have Elder influence mod: frenzy on kill)
- Fortify comes from the Cluster Jewel (Overlord) or otherwise you need to equip Fortify Support in place of Weapon Ele Dmg or (NON-awakened) Melee Phys Dmg

For big encounters bossing included you can drop both Totems to get dmg & dmg boosts (don't forget to use Vaal Ancestral Warchief strategically)

Skills

MAIN SKILL

NOTE ON FORTIFY: Fortify is provided by the Cluster Jewel Notable: Overlord. If you do not have it yet, replace one gem (WED or Fire Pen) with Fortify Support

Infernal Blow + Ancestral Call + Melee Splash + Multistrike + Elemental Damage with Attacks + Melee Physical Damage

IB with AC splash is used for 99% of the stuff, in my final setup i used it to kill everything up to Conqs & 10 bosses invitations included.

Awakened Ancestral Call and Awakened Melee Splash will increase your aoe by A LOT. Work towards acquiring these asap (very cheap gems).

For Sirus you may want to switch at least to single target (optional go heavy strike) to kill it in probably half time: remove AC & splash, add Fire Pen & Ele Focus

Heavy Strike + Multistrike + Elemental Damage with Attacks + Melee Physical Damage + Fire Penetration + Elemental Focus

If you want more/maximum strike damage possible, for example for the most difficult encounters (like Maven & Feared) Heavy Strike comes in handy:
You need to have Avatar of Fire in the tree AND 2x Weight of the Empire jewels equipped.

This is extra micromanagement, but to be fair I am happy to gain an extra ~3-5mil by equipping a gem and two jewels.

TOTEMS
Ancestral Protector + VAAL Ancestral Warchief + Multiple Totems + Combustion + Culling Strike + Elemental Damage with Attacks/Other Utility

Totems give buffs, deal good damage and also provide culling strike & combustion debuff. Multiple totems enables the use of both Protector & Warchief together. Use Vaal Warchief to burst down bosses/encounters.

AURAS
Basic: Precision + Herald of Purity + Herald of Ash

Advanced: Precision + Herald of Purity + Herald of Ash + Enlighten lv4 + Aspect of the Spider

You can run with the 3 base auras. Once you have acquired a lv4 enlighten, you can lower the lvl of Precision and add Aspect of the Spider to your gear.
Aspect of the spider HOWTO:
Described in the gear section

CAST WHEN DAMAGE TAKEN
CWDT level 1 + Wave of Conviction (lvl 7 max) + Vaal Molten Shell (lvl 10 max) + Optional Blood Rage (lvl 7 max)
CWDT at low level to have it always up on cooldown.
Wave of conviction gives the strong Fire Exposure debuff
Molten Shell gives a nice dmg shield (it doesn't scale with level so you are good with lvl 1)
Vaal Molten Shell can be casted manually to get a bigger shield

WIP:

- Solo level 100 strategy
- Other
Gives streamers & friends queue priority and leaves supporters who spent hundreds $ packs in the 100k queue.

GGG: Don't you guys follow streamers?
Last edited by ZaeN on Mar 19, 2021, 7:52:46 PM
Last bumped on Mar 16, 2021, 10:30:06 AM
Reserved
Gives streamers & friends queue priority and leaves supporters who spent hundreds $ packs in the 100k queue.

would be great if released a week ago. lol can't even find a decent warstaff right now without spending 10ex. lol
I assure you I have tabs on judgement staves always open, prices have been the same through the league because staves became hot items ever since mathil's chief video upload

600dps are cheapos, 700dps about 15ex-30ex, 800+ 30-60ex
https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Ritual/9bD4P0CK

Last edited by ZaeN on Mar 13, 2021, 12:32:51 PM
Added gifs, more screens, skills explanation

Added the most important gear explanation section:

spoiler="ONLY VALID FOR RITUAL: Gear Explanation + Guide"

STARTER GEAR: Highest life possible and resists everywhere (you need to get 109 resists to be immune to ele weakness)

ONLY VALID FOR RITUAL. POST RITUAL YOU WILL HAVE TO: Have back the feeling of closing your eyes and Exalting an item, scared to see whether you ruined it or not

Disclaimer: This is how I crafted the stuff. There may possibly be better ways of which I am not aware, if so please share! And I apologize for any unwanted inconsistencies.

There is an extra tier of goodness that are elevated mods (done with maven orbs), but i personally didn't bother make that tier of gear.
Procedures are similar in the start with extra steps, please check other guides online for that type of gear.

FOR CRAFTING in Ritual Softcore:
1) Search and join "POE TFT Discord / The forbidden trove" & learn the posted rules. You can sell and buy any service here, harvest included but much more can be done in TFT
2) Use https://www.craftofexile.com Calculator and Emulator to learn every possible mod, their tags (life fire phys etc), weights and all the info

GLOVES:
Primary: Strike skills +1 target - It is not gamechanging but it is a subtle damage boost, otherwise you can live without it and use normal gloves.
HOWTO:
I don't think there is a good way to craft these, so I simply alt spammed +1 strikes, regal and then fixed the item with harvest tags life, speed, physical (good luck)

HELM:
Helm is one of the easier to make actually and especially required only one influence.
Enchant: Ancestral Protector Attack Speed
Primary mod: Phys damage taken as fire
Extra: Nearby enemies take % increased fire damage (!!!Requires ilvl85!!!)
HOWTO:
Get a good armor helm with the enchant. Spam alterations until you hit T1 life, then regal/annull/scour.
Once happy with the result, go with Warlord Exalt and pray rngeebus for some good warlord mod.
Now, IF you haven't got any of the needed phys-fire and nearby-fire:
- If you didn't hit T1 phys: BENCHCRAFT remove crafted mod -> Harvest craft remove Fire -> Repeat from step 1
3 Once you have T1 Phys as fire. Augment fire again for guaranteed nearby enemies fire
4 Benchcraft Chance to avoid ele ailments
(IMO it HAS to have this procedure, because if you try rem/add fire you risk getting a fire resist (it doesnt happen if you control fire res with benchcraft), if you hit nearby enemies before phys to fire, you will need to extra gamble for T1 phys as fire and risk needing to fix a T2 phys-fire + nearby fire)
4 You can add/fix anything in the free affix, accuracy is a great one for example

CHEST:
Basic: Get any 6L chest you can put your hands on, I did like lv95 on a blue chest with t5 life so don't feel the fomo
Advanced:
Primary: ILVL84 Phys taken as Fire from Elder (NOT warlord)
Secondary: You and your minions take 100% reduced ele dmg (Just to confirm: this gives FULL REFLECT IMMUNITY)
HOWTO:
For Phys dmg taken as fire you can use the exact same procedure done for helm:
- If you didn't hit T1 phys:
- BENCHCRAFT remove crafted mod and then
- Harvest craft remove Fire
-> Repeat from step 1
(IMO it HAS to have this procedure, because if you try rem/add fire you risk getting a fire resist (it doesnt happen if you control fire res with benchcraft))
3 Once done with phys as fire, go augment attack for guaranteed crit. If you have +life and all suffix full then you can probably try with another augment life for guaranteed %inc life

For double influence:
Get a good 6L armor, example ILVL 100 6L astral plate already 6W and beast split from trade either Elder or Redeemer based on price
Get another armor of any type you only need the correct missing influence and ilvl, example ilvl75 redeemer or ilvl84 elder armor of any type
- On elder base hit phys as fire with alt spam
- On redeemer base hit reflect immune with alt spam
- Use awakener from the shit armor to the good 6L armor & pray rngeebus
- Same as before can do augment attack for crit
- Add/Fix anything with harvest crafts

BOOTS:
Primary: Chance to avoid ele ailments from Shaper
Secondary: Tailwind on crit
HOWTO:
Here not much to do i think, just alt spam till you hit the good mod then regal. In case of double influence, you do the awakener orb procedure.

BELT:
Your typical double/trires stygian vise.
OPTIONAL HOWTO:
- You can use the Harvest "chaos reroll with attack" it will always give you "Inc ele damage"
- Belts with an open prefix can use a Hunter orb (and possible remove/add influence mod) that gives %inc life

AMULET:
Anointment: Crystal Skin (15% avoid ele ailments +1 max resists). I have chosen Crystal Skin for the max res and to achieve ailment immunity, but you can go Panopticon if you want more damage
Primary: 15% Fortify effect. Obtained only via Essence of Horror.
Otherwise you can go with any amulet combo you prefer.

RING 1:
Trigger Assassin Mark
I bought this one but there are some methods to obtain one.
- Get ilvl80 shaper ring of desired type (two stone, diamond, steel etc)
1 Harvest mode: use chaos reroll caster (trigger mark is a caster mod)
2 Fossils mode:
- Scour ring, then use max +caster catalysts on it (it will increase caster mods likelihood)
- Use caster (optional + life etc) fossils on it

RING 2:
Aspect of the spider - It is NOT mandatory to have it on the ring (it can be crafted into other gear)
Otherwise use this ring to fill every gap in your stats, resists, dmg etc
ASPECT OF THE SPIDER HOWTO:
"Fenumal Hybrid Arachnid" beast, capture it or buy it from trade.
Go to the managerie -> Open portal to Fenumus Lair and beat him. He will unlock the beastcraft to add Aspect of the Spider suffix to your piece of gear.

Last edited by ZaeN on Mar 14, 2021, 10:22:41 PM
Can you talk a little about the mechanics when you are mapping or bossing? Do you need to sustain any charges, or is it simply walk and click things?
"
bowen123 wrote:
Can you talk a little about the mechanics when you are mapping or bossing? Do you need to sustain any charges, or is it simply walk and click things?

Heya, right i will clarify in the OP as well.

During mapping there is nothing special to manage besides keeping potions up. Just run and gun as much as a melee 2hander can allow you to do.

- (Experimenter's) Quicksilver flask of Adrenaline is important to keep a decent move speed.
- Endurance Charges are generated from a staff-related point in the passive tree (not core but still gives extra tank goodies)
- Frenzy Charges come if you equip Blood Rage, either standalone or in CWDT (not mandatory imo) (or an expensive option is to have Elder influence mod: frenzy on kill)
- Fortify comes from the Cluster Jewel (Overlord) or otherwise you need to equip Fortify Support in place of Fire Pen

For big encounters bossing included you can drop both Totems to get dmg & dmg boosts (don't forget to use Vaal Ancestral Warchief strategically)

Last edited by ZaeN on Mar 15, 2021, 2:03:56 PM
"
ZaeN wrote:
"
bowen123 wrote:

Heya, right i will clarify in the OP as well.

- Fortify comes from the Cluster Jewel (Overlord) or otherwise you need to equip Fortify Support in place of Fire Pen

Thanks, that doesn't sound so bad at all. You said this was really mechanically difficult, was it simply just because you are playing a melee character and fights are generally more dangerous?

Also, this character won't really be feasible next league due to the harvest craft nerfs right? Ofc unless you want to play around and experiment in standard league?
"
bowen123 wrote:

Thanks, that doesn't sound so bad at all. You said this was really mechanically difficult, was it simply just because you are playing a melee character and fights are generally more dangerous?

Also, this character won't really be feasible next league due to the harvest craft nerfs right? Ofc unless you want to play around and experiment in standard league?

Answer about the mechanics question: yes
- Melee limited range means that your positioning is very limited, many big bosses have aoes and projectiles that are more dangerous in melee (think about dodging shaper projectiles or maven cascade of pain close range vs at distance)
- Strike/selfroot/selfcast means that you are locked in place in the moment you are dealing damage. Compare to builds that deal damage while they can actively dodge the aoe/bullet spam, proxy dmg (dots, totems, minions, bladestorm/creeping frost) or movement dmg (cyclone/BV)
- Life based is always low, compare the tank vs elemental damage: 75% resists 6-7k life vs 12k es
- 2Handed. 2H has its advantages but the drawback is that it competes against shield (uber tank with maxblock +maxres & +life/es on block or The surrender), against sword DW (very cheap ~10ex and top dmg with paradoxica + savior, comparable with 700-900dps weapons) or other DW niche (claw LoH or other stuff). Also 2H leap slam is the slowest option vs shield charge/whirl blade, so much that people use flaming dash sometimes

Next league feasibility:
We can expect some new crafting league in the future, but as of today the items linked will not be accessible/craftable like they are now. It is going to be hard to "fix" gear after you have elevated/awakened it, probably the gear will have lower life and lower resists or less mods (e.g. either these are 200ex worth or are T1 life with resists and one or none influence mods, or 2+ influence/elevated mods but no life/res)

Last edited by ZaeN on Mar 16, 2021, 10:32:25 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info