[3.16] Dark Pact Totems | The smoothest spell totem skill around, now post-nerf updated

@FateArvnicus

Looks like you may have re-rolled your char already, but I'll go off the POB you linked.

Compared to my Level 96 POB, your char is dealing 1/5th the DPS and is missing about 2000 EHP. That's going to make a big impact on gameplay, especially the low damage. Which it sounds like you experienced.

Your gems don't have quality.
Your skill tree is missing juicy DPS nodes like Mental Rapidity and Nimbleness, which can be fixed with gaining more levels :)
Really need that 2nd Medium Cluster jewel, and preferably with perma Onslaught.
I'm not sure if those boots are worth it. Standard boots with good EHP, resistance, and a useful enchant will likely take you further.
Current shield is fine as a budget shield.
Helmet and Gloves can always be improved, with more Life, Mana, and resistance. Also need to craft more % Elemental Ailment Immunity, to make sure you hit 100%.
Flasks should have Quality, and useful rolls.
Your belt can be improved with 5 Chaos or less on a similar or better Abyss belt.
Your ring and amulet are acceptable for budget gear. By Level 90, everything should be replaced.

You did a great job with obtaining good budget gear for your char and building out your skill tree in a sensible way. This is the point where any build/char will start to feel like a grind :(
Last edited by BlueeGreg on Nov 28, 2020, 11:49:01 AM
So out of curiosity, why exactly do you use multi totem support? Couldn't a better dps option be used? With the heiro ascendancy you already are summoning 2x totems.
"
Ramecies wrote:
So out of curiosity, why exactly do you use multi totem support? Couldn't a better dps option be used? With the heiro ascendancy you already are summoning 2x totems.

There's multiple reasons, pun intended! But the truth is you can go without it if that's what you prefer, though there really aren't a lot of good alternative support gems to choose from. Also the extra red socket originally made the Skin of the Loyal chest cheaper/easier to obtain, though I don't know if that is still the case.

From the guide, "We use Multiple Totems for the extra totems, extra regen from our ascendancy, and overall better QOL and DPS uptime. Even though the gem has a less multiplier, it still adds respectable DPS to our build."

Multiple Totem Support increases our max totem count by +2. This is nice, because our max becomes 6 instead of 4. This means more totems on the screen, more totems targeting more enemies, and should generally improve the speed and feel of map clear. And if a totem dies or moves off-screen where it is no longer shooting, your DPS only drops by 1/6th, instead of 1/4th.

Hiero ascendancy also gives more life and mana regen for each totem summoned, so this is a nice little buff. And 3% More Damage for each alive totem! Unfortunately the Hiero buff of "Skills that would summon a Totem now summon two instead" is redundant with the same feature from Multiple Totem Support. Though I'm not convinced that is actually a bad thing!

As for paper/POB DPS, Multiple Totem Support will be less DPS than a gem like Conc Effect. But I don't really want to use Conc Effect, because of the Less Area modifier, and our unique ring forcing Less Area on us already. And there's honestly nothing else to choose from. The "Less DPS" modifier on Multiple Totem Support is not as bad as it looks, once you math out 6 totems doing damage, instead of 4. And the gem quality gives some Totem Placement Speed too :)
Last edited by BlueeGreg on Dec 1, 2020, 10:55:10 PM
"
There's multiple reasons, pun intended! But the truth is you can go without it if that's what you prefer, though there really aren't a lot of good alternative support gems to choose from. Also the extra red socket originally made the Skin of the Loyal chest cheaper/easier to obtain, though I don't know if that is still the case.

From the guide, "We use Multiple Totems for the extra totems, extra regen from our ascendancy, and overall better QOL and DPS uptime. Even though the gem has a less multiplier, it still adds respectable DPS to our build."

Multiple Totem Support increases our max totem count by +2. This is nice, because our max becomes 6 instead of 4. This means more totems on the screen, more totems targeting more enemies, and should generally improve the speed and feel of map clear. And if a totem dies or moves off-screen where it is no longer shooting, your DPS only drops by 1/6th, instead of 1/4th.

Hiero ascendancy also gives more life and mana regen for each totem summoned, so this is a nice little buff. And 3% More Damage for each alive totem! Unfortunately the Hiero buff of "Skills that would summon a Totem now summon two instead" is redundant with the same feature from Multiple Totem Support. Though I'm not convinced that is actually a bad thing!

As for paper/POB DPS, Multiple Totem Support will be less DPS than a gem like Conc Effect. But I don't really want to use Conc Effect, because of the Less Area modifier, and our unique ring forcing Less Area on us already. And there's honestly nothing else to choose from. The "Less DPS" modifier on Multiple Totem Support is not as bad as it looks, once you math out 6 totems doing damage, instead of 4. And the gem quality gives some Totem Placement Speed too :)

Fair enough, I am rolling a +2 Soul mantle, and debating on what links to go for. It just made sense to me as Reflections aren't stupid expensive atm. Also buying a cheap corrupted (40c) and spending 7ex~ to 6 link it is insane. This particular league made the decisions viable, others probably not. I was debating on faster casting or increased critical strikes/damage.
For the 7-link Soul Mantle, I would use both Multiple Totems and Conc Effect, and Empower. Red Red Green Blue Blue Blue.

Spending 1500 Fuse and 1500 Vaal on a +2 Soul Mantle is a very tempting proposition!
hi mate :) im trying your build now :) lvl 78 still have to take cluster points but im not even close to your POB dps i need to get the jew too but still :D low on crit items or ? IDK here is my POB

don t know why POB link dont work when i test it :D
Last edited by _DrStone_ on Dec 6, 2020, 12:11:25 PM
Update for Hiero changes. Will add more once patch notes for 3.13 are out.

Changes for 3.13 Ritual
I won't be be playing 3.13 Ritual, though I will list changes, recommendations, and try to answer any questions that come up.

Hiero Ascendancy Changes:
Gains 50% Increased Totem Placement Speed. Gains 12% More Damage, assuming use of 6 totems via Multiple Totem Support.

Loses 10% Increased Cast Speed. Loses Variable % of Increased Damage, which was a decent boost for mapping but had zero impact on bosses. Loses the double summoning of totems, which was redundant anyway since we use Multiple Totem Support.

For Uber Lab choice, 'Conviction of Power' is now a reasonable choice over 'Sanctuary of Thought', especially if you don't want to use a trigger weapon for Power Charge generation.

Ultimately, the Hiero changes don't have an impact here for Astral Projector Dark Pact and they might actually make the build better. League starters such as Freezing Pulse will unfortunately feel these changes. I still recommend league starting as a separate character entirely, and then making a 2nd character once you have the currency for Astral Projector.

Dark Pact Totems are also well positioned for Ritual and the new Atlas content, because we stack Totem Life, which should help keep our totems alive during these dense and lethal encounters. The life and mana regen inherent to the build should help keep us alive while we run around like headless chickens. And the single target DPS ain't shabby!
Last edited by BlueeGreg on Jan 11, 2021, 7:47:21 AM
Thx for your buildguide!I have really enjoyed this build!I hope you can hold it updated for us.
when i paste the lvl 96 in pastebin it says its not updated for 3.13 can you update with new pastebin? i want to start this build today thanks!
"
macasdude wrote:
when i paste the lvl 96 in pastebin it says its not updated for 3.13 can you update with new pastebin? i want to start this build today thanks!

The POB works, just tried it. There are no tree changes, so you can click the green button "Convert to 3.13" near the bottom. Make sure you have the Community Fork, of course :)

Good luck with the build, and it looks like Astral Projector is much cheaper than last league!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info