Extract from Exilepro.com: "EB elemental cleave Mara/Temp!! "

Hey guys, I recently posted this build in Exilepro.com and decided to post it here as well because I am convinced it is an effective build and sharing is always fun.

Hey guys, lately I've been considering a way to create a Melee based EB build. as suicidal as that may sound. For AoE, that meant either Ground Slam, Leap Slam or Cleave/Cyclone. Now, The build I had in mind didn't really go through any significant phys dmg nodes and elemental Ground Slam is... cough (even though it could work, cleave hits twice so it's much better). Also, EB means auras and Wrath, Anger and Hatred are all elemental auras.

To the build: Keep in mind this is only a theory craft, I have never even tried this out. My main concern is it may be too squishy, and I mean literally WAY too squishy. Besides the fact that this would only ever be viable as a SC build (the way it is now), even for that it may be too squishy...

Pros:

Spoiler
Can run 8 auras without INSANE gearlevels (just fairly good)

Can overcome all map mods except blood magic with some adjustments. (needs confirmation :P)

Stacks shock like a mofo.

The only EB melee build that I (personally) know of.

Great for soloing, aura stacking grants A LOT of versatility.

Great party synergy: aura stackers are usually in the backline, which means any melee characters in the party usually dont gain the aura effects. This build can support the melees, making melee only parties pretty fun! Also, shock stacks op...

Always room for improvement: this build has no gear cap (you won't ever realistically reach it) so you can keep improving your character. Which means: Good for a main character.

Amazing for softcore.

Cons:

Spoiler
Smaller life pool than most melee builds.

Only really gets going past level 65.

Requires a considerably high gear level to be effective, as well as game knowledge and player skill to dodge out of tricky situations.

Desync will be a bitch, especially because you dont even have slots for escape skills. Not-a-single-one.

Elemental Reflect can be a problem at extreme gear levels. Should be doable though.

Probably not the best build for Hardcore.

Gems: Cleave + Weapon Elemental Damage + Added Lightning Damage + Concentrated Effect + Faster Attacks/Elemental Proliferation + Life Leech. Colour code RRR + BGG or BBG, which is perfectly fine. Elemental Proliferation is best for groups, Faster Attacks for soloing, use whichever fits your colour code best. You shouldn't ever need mana leech, unless you accidentally leveled cleave, which you shouldn't.

4Ls: Reduced Mana + Purity(gear and confidence dependent) + Haste + Hatred.

4Ls: Reduced Mana + Wrath + Anger + Grace. Depending on your Mana Pool (which is dependant on gear), you might want to get a "The Covenant" or the helm to cast these. I would never recommend casting all three of them on your life pool unless you have over 5k hp, but 1 or 2 is fine(and if you have 5k hp, you probably also have a gigantic mana pool, which means you won't need to cast them on the life pool)

4Ls: Elemental Hit + Faster Attacks + Life Leech + Weapon Elemental Damage, pretty self explanatory.

Main Hand: Reduced Mana + Discipline + Clarity.

Off-hand: Spell Totem + Faster Casting + Summon Skeletons/Spark(mediocre choice)/whatever you want. Get creative.

THE BUILD:

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL9SPGS4n7fPdrKpZ88AakFWnhBo47DhX4jKJd-UEs_AfFE2iAKloGF0pT-QiGmwZhSSqNunjap2upwja3biTDH0Qf8aej0bQ0M9lVcYWb5uhZ73ub_fXrJgUsAD9OjAXUEwtgh7bC3RVfM7r5F8qRtftIOFzi4wFW4M473yCmzrYTdiMdsT2E1tk51XWiELBxewYw22nXElRJDxabcHz8XZtGTvh4venKy0fj6ZSUz1fi3oI9HkDwFRzUwdjVysuCDwFn98=

Idea: Start as marauder using Ground Slam bla bla. You will only swap to ele cleave at ~lvl 50, once you reach EB and have 3 or 4 more skill points.

Build Progression:

Spoiler
Level 25

Level 40 ish

Level 55

From here on, it's mostly situational: Get the mana nodes on top of the tree, and then decide: more life? Keep going 3 nodes to the right till the life/str nodes and the 15% ES node (it's actually better to go through the outside than the inside, crazy, right?). Complete the Elemental damage in the templar tree and decide, what you want now: more armor/ES=mana and some resist, get body and soul. % reserved mana should be completed around now as well, and so should elemental adaptation. Finally, between Level ~75 and ~90 is where I really need help.

We are at this point in the build. Do I take the Witch Nodes for more Mana and the area passive, which would leave me really squishy but at... probably over 3k mana and gigantic mana regen... or do I go to the Center of the Tree and grab the life nodes? Well, the more I think about it, going to the center of the tree seems much more viable. We already got insane ammounts of mana and manaregen (well, mana regen not so much but one can get that in gear), the added survivability will almost definitely outweigh the mana... Either way, feedback would be appreciated.

Also, special attention to Resolute Technique. This build only gets 2 accuracy nodes, which take 3 nodes in total. Also, it doesn't grab any critical strike chance increasing nodes, so if you would like to, you can swap the 3 nodes (Slaughter, Precision, Gemini) for the strength node, RT and one +30 dex node, it's up to you. Personally I'm not a fan of RT because you can get accuracy on gear, however this build already needs pretty insane gear, grabbing accuracy as well might be pushing it a little.

What to look for in Gear:

+Life rolls are mandatory. And so is +flat lightning/fire/cold on anything you can find. Look for %elemental weapon damage on your amulet and belt if you can. Basically, ideal gear will have + Life, + elemental damage/+one element, + one element and 3 Resists on top of that.

You want to be running Armor/ES gear on everything but your chest piece, which should be full ES, unless you get an insanely good armor/es chest piece that has over 500 ES. In that case, the Armor/ES will be preferred. Go with the situation.

The boots are rather important. Usually with such a build you would want to run with the Wake of Destruction Unique. This is definitely one option. However, I would personally prefer some +30% MS boots with resists and added damage. You WILL need the movement speed. It's up to you.

Obviously, for weapons, you want to dual wield either swords for the accuracy or axes if you go with Resolute Technique with + light/cold/fire damage, accuracy (if not RT) and mana regen (I think that's a suffix, but not sure). Either way, stuff works. Get creative.

Alright, coming to the end of the build... Is this viable? It looks nice to me, damage wise it should be top notch even without crits if you're running RT.

What do you guys think??

PS: Math

Spoiler
we run 2 40% auras and one 30% aura. Let's assume all auras are level 20 and so are the reduced mana gems.
We also have a 0.9 multiplier from the passive tree. If it were to stack additively, instead of multiplicatively, then it'd be even easier to run the 8 auras, so let's stick to multiplicatively. So:

X=Max Mana 30% aura 40% auras Anger+Wrath Clarity Grace

Usable Mana= X * (1-(0.3 * 0.9 * 0.71 + 0.4 * 0.71 * 0.9 * 2)) - (2 * 164 * 0.71 * 0.9 + 440 * 0.9 * 0.71 + 238 * 0.9 * 0.71)

Usable Mana= X * (1-(0.3*0.9 * 0.71 + 0.4 * 0.71 * 0.9 * 2)) - 1006 * 0.71 * 0.9

If X = 3000 Mana, we get 265 usable mana. This is moderately easily achievable with Discipline running (which adds like 600 mana, didn't do the maths there). This means we could even potentially run a 9th aura, if we had sockets for that, which we don't :P

note: just realized there is a small mistake in the calculation because of discipline and % auras. It's not a significant mistake, so I will just say it like this: subtract ~30-50 mana from the value you were expecting with that formula and you'll be closer to the actual value. in my example I'd have ~220 usable mana, more than enough. If X= 3500 mana then the problem is solved anyhow, and I think this build can easily (I mean it, easily) reach over 4k mana anyhow, to the point that removing some mana nodes might be the way to go super end game. So, NP!! :)

As you probably noticed, I couldn't be annoyed to re-do the links, especially cause I don't know how to do it exactly on this forum. So just go to http://www.exilepro.com/forums/general/general-discussion/13458-an-eb-lightning-cleaver if you want more information.

(sorry for sending people to other websites but yk... I hope it's fine)

Feedback very much appreciated, I'll try to answer any questions!

Have a great time,
Lunaticloser
Last edited by lunaticloser on Mar 26, 2013, 11:30:03 AM
up...
seriously, nobody reads this? ^^
Thanks for taking the time to post a very interesting spec. 8 auras sounds like a lot of fun. However, I don't know how you can get so close to resolute techniques as a melee spec and not pick it up, especially when you invested 3 inferior nodes as opposed to the 2 RT would cost you.

That's the only point I'd make about it. All in all, nice spec :)
Thanks for the positive feedback.

I do give it a mention, it's personal preference, I have some really bad experiences with RT :P probably my fault though. On exilepro they mentioned that the build could be too squishy to be viable, with which I am inclined to agree, at least for HC or even 90+ softcore. But yk, it's definitely fun. Also, turns out nugi made a similar build, and that one is better. starts as a templar and saves the "wasted nodes" from starting as marauder to get iron reflexes and more life. that build sounds better, cannot run 8 auras on mana alone though.

I think that's it about the build really. Not much else to say. it's viable but not great, lots of fun though.
editing a badly thought out post that shouldn't be read :P. nice guide
Last edited by Apolyon34 on May 2, 2013, 1:56:28 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info