Theorycrafting: Extreme mana reduce, 2-Hander cyclone/aura build - good/bad?

The build

Key stats:

* 20% reduction on mana reserved by auras
* 48% reduced ability cost

With the above two factors, you could easily use a number of percentage auras, while needing minimal mana for cyclone. Provided you had a bloodmagic item, you could use that for grace/anger/wrath with minimal cost.

* no unwavering stance necessary, since you can't be stunned during cyclone anyway.
* LOTS of dex & int nodes taken so you need not worry nearly as much gear-wise for using gems.
* Resolute technique - crit is trash due to all crit/no crit mechanic on cyclone, making this a no-brainer.
* Master of the arena + increased area of effect + 2-hander will maximise the AOE on cyclone
* Inner-force to buff those auras (must have).
* A slow, hard hitting 2-hander is recommended, to overcome the low-damage-fast-attack-speed of cyclone, and mitigate possible damage reduction due to enemy armour.
* A healthy amount of HP nodes and regeneration passives.

Possible downsides:

* You will be reliant on gear for survivability, meaning you may possibly get crushed by physical damage, and will need a largish HP pool to make % leech effective.
* Your damage *may* suck, since cyclone is somewhat mediocre skill in its current incarnation, damage will be heavily reliant on your weapon / any +%physical uniques you might use (e.g. magnate would probably be a good idea!).
* Despite the number of AOE increasing passives, the area on cyclone may still be quite small

Upsides of the build
* You'll be a whirling christmas tree of doom, with many auras useful for grouping equipped.
* Cyclone is a cool skill (even if a bit weak)
* You can focus your gear on survivability stats (armor / hp / resists) since the build incorporates pleanty of dex/int/str nodes.
* The linked build is only for level 72, with many many options for getting more health nodes and/or many excellent damage nodes nearby

Please give me your thoughts on the build, any build optimisations etc. are welcome :)
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
Last edited by Zeekin on Mar 26, 2013, 1:04:04 AM
edit fixed the build - for some reason the wrong one was linked
come on, someone tell me why this is a bad idea before I go roll it :S
I will chime in.

I would get celestial walker, since it's 10% ele damage and 10% all resists. Just a nice little pick up for 1 point.

I guess I am missing how you plan on doing damage. Auras are nice, but they are supplements to your skills/passives not substitutes imho.

I can currently run 5 Auras, but right now prefer 4 because of gear.

I have Haste, Hatred, Determination, and Anger. I don't really need much else aura wise. I was toying with using wrath to add a shock effect, but I can already almost do that as well without 1 point in mana reduction. I might even tie grace with my anger and blood magic link it. So that's 6 auras without a point in mana reduction.

To do this I just tie my attack skill to BM and I am good to go. With enough leach it is a non issue. Ever. The only time I die is from desync and huge fast damage, that bm has nothing to do with.

So I guess that's my issue. You are giving up damage for something you could do anyway...

I hope I make sense.

Good luck!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info