Help Needed: Build for Burning Shoes (Essence of Hysteria)

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to figure out a build to recreate one of my favourite characters from the Diablo 2 days, the Blaze Sorceress. Blaze was a very simple but incredibly fun skill to play: Cast the spell, and for a few seconds you leave a burning trail behind you as you run. I've been looking into this for PoE, and found two options:

1. Abberath's Hooves: Which has some ridiculously funny looking stuff on youtube about looping self-sustain damage and converting it to poison.

2. Essence of Hysteria: Applied on boots, it leaves a Fire damage trail behind you.

I've had a play with Path of Building, come up with some possibilities that have straight-up ~1000% increased fire damage, but I don't think it's enough. For one thing, they're very low on health, and for another, I just don't know the intricacies of skill/gem/gear interaction well enough.

So how would you go about making a build to make the fire damage from Essence of Hysteria the main source of damage for a character? Is the witch even the right choice? (I chose witch because of the proximity to the fire damage nodes, but I guess templar could work too). Focus on reduced damage resistance instead? Can support gems be linked to the boot fire damage? Cast on Damage Taken (since this character will be running through the thickest density of trouble she can find)? Curse on hit with the boots, assuming it works? All of the above?

Advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Last edited by Walkiry on Apr 29, 2020, 5:37:58 PM
Last bumped on May 11, 2020, 8:10:54 AM
I'm not sure how does that burning ground scale even when searching for a while on the net. But if going witch your best bet is going elementalist and focusing on using golems as your buff, stacking primordial eminence jewels and primordial bond notable on cluster jewels for golem aura boost.
Minion dmg with Spiritual aid tends to work with stuff like this as well.

Reducing enemy resistance will also work. Flammability and elemental weakness curse on blasphemy should work great.
Aspect of the Spider aura will also be great once it stacks.
Combustion support also reduces fire resistance but you need to use it with some other skill.
Fire exposure is also another way of reducing the res

Spell damage is likely not gonna work but generic dmg, generic elemental damage, fire damage and fire damage over time multiplier should.
Area damage could work

You would most likely want phase run and just run through mobs instead of waiting for them to die while they hit you.

You will also want a 6link fire skill as your main damage since the burning ground from boots will never be able to scale to endgame.
Check some fireball ignite prolifiration builds for inspiration. You can most likely just build that and put the boots on and you will see if its even worth investing into that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info