Crafting Class

Of course, it's never going to happen in PoE. I think this is more of a discussion rather than a suggestion

But, in some other games I've played (mainly Ultima Online) crafting was a huge part of the game. It added additional depth, encouraged player interaction and improved the economy.

Obviously, PoE is darker and and grittier and is about surviving so I'm not certain how well a crafter class would fit in. I'm not sure how easy retrieving materials to work with would be but, perhaps, that would make it more interesting.

Your other characters (your fighting characters) could very rarely find materials that could be used for crafting. This could lead to new armour, weapons, items etc. that can only be created by crafters that have managed to acquire these rare materials (and the necessary skills).

Because, I doubt it's going to happen, I haven't put a much thought into it. But, I thought that I'd like to bring it up for discussion ... even if it is just theoretical and not seriously considered.
"I feel the ability to profit from another man's war is all fair in a cut-throat world."

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB)
8192MB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz [2x4096] Memory
1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 5770 graphics card
I am not sure, if a crafting class is something that would fit in Diablo-like action RPG game well.
"Show some fucking adaptability!"
There's not much you would be able to craft in this game anyways. Crafting doesn't belong in action rpgs.
I certainly see your points. It is an action RPG, after all.

I still think there's the potential to add it as a way to create and introduce new items into the game.

And, if they were to add durability onto your equipment you'd need someone to repair it, surely?

It would also mean, if you were to allow crafters to craft almost all in game items, that you could cut out NPCs altogether, and really encourage player interaction.
"I feel the ability to profit from another man's war is all fair in a cut-throat world."

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB)
8192MB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz [2x4096] Memory
1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 5770 graphics card
Last edited by deldalton on Apr 12, 2012, 10:48:32 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info