Why not just make PvP a different game?

It's busted, it'll continue to be busted, and even if it weren't busted, it's very unlikely to ever be interesting. Any depth you add to it is going to leave it still pointless to most people, because you know that making any rewards exclusive to it is a bad idea.

Here's what you get to do if you just split it out:

-Genuine asymmetric balance, bc you're not shackled to the pve skill pool
-Complex tournament structures
-Experimental game types
-Spectation, with gambling!
-Lore enrichment: set the game in Theopolis when Daresso was Sword King
-Any exclusive rewards aren't "missed" by PvE players

Or you can continue to have part of your flagship product be a joke. Just sayin'.
Furthermore, the Trade Manifesto delenda est.

Bone Mommy did nothing wrong. I want to join the Syndicate.
Last edited by 007Bistromath on Nov 20, 2019, 3:26:50 PM
Last bumped on Nov 23, 2019, 6:45:02 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
And why exactly GGG should spend time and money on something barely anybody is interested?
There must be some people interested in it, because it gets dropped in as a weird canard about how "broken" the game is from time to time. And honestly, if you build it, they will come. The way I've described it, I'd probably check it out, and you couldn't pay me to engage with it in its current form.
Furthermore, the Trade Manifesto delenda est.

Bone Mommy did nothing wrong. I want to join the Syndicate.
I'd love to get a dedicated area of the game for PvP, like a PvP hub where people could team up and go outside to fight against each other seamlessly, with a very rough balance of the gems at first (which should be tagged PvP so any change of them won't impact PvE). I loved so much PvP in D2 i'd love to get a somewhat similar experience in PoE, as an alternative to PvE.
📜My hideout thread : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2542497
Last edited by Synopsis on Nov 21, 2019, 4:56:57 AM
Why not just play PVP in a different game?
Let's explore new playstyles - Play it your own way, not just like the others.
Quality management is one of the most underrated success factors in every business...
"
007Bistromath wrote:
It's busted, it'll continue to be busted, and even if it weren't busted, it's very unlikely to ever be interesting. Any depth you add to it is going to leave it still pointless to most people, because you know that making any rewards exclusive to it is a bad idea.

Here's what you get to do if you just split it out:

-Genuine asymmetric balance, bc you're not shackled to the pve skill pool
-Complex tournament structures
-Experimental game types
-Spectation, with gambling!
-Lore enrichment: set the game in Theopolis when Daresso was Sword King
-Any exclusive rewards aren't "missed" by PvE players

Or you can continue to have part of your flagship product be a joke. Just sayin'.

They should make it a different game. Just here it is, enjoy, we're done with it.

any and all future development would stay with PoE.
Im not cool with this. Why not just play something else? What is the point even? Furthermore, what is the point coming to a developer working on a PvE title telling them to go make a PvP one?????

They haven't even done PoE2 as a separate game... Why on Earth would they make a PoE-PvP as a separate game?

A part of their flagship product is "a joke" because that is not the point of the game. And personally I scratch my head at most people wanting PvP in PoE to begin with. Its like apples and oranges.

Be that as it may, I say if they ever do a revamp of the PvP into something that actually works, that they could work on it in the following way:

Just like PoE2 is a separate addition to the game that shares end game, this too can be a separate addition to the game, that, well shares nothing :P

The way this can be done is with new PvP Ascendancy selections. They could be called Ascendancies for lore purposes. The idea is characters that are selected as PvP from the start of their creation.

Have set class selections for each character. Allow for a set number of skills to be allowed in PvP. And have a gear lineup for those characters alone. It could have progression that works like ranks and currency from matches to buy better gear, and the gear could be tailored to PvP in this way as well.

Upon a total "tier value" being reached with gear, you enter a new "league" level if you want to give some progression to it all.

Hell, you can even have gambling from players in PvE placing bets. Whatever.

1) You are going to make a different game anyway, so making a league with its own items and classes is the same thing. Only that this way you spend less resources on it having the core game ready.

2) Upon making it, it can be integrated into the core game as an option, same way hardcore and SSF is.

3) The fact that there is PvP only gear should not bother PvE players, as it will be PvP gear for PvP only characters in PvP only content, which again is the same as having a separate game in which, well that gear wont come over to your PvE either. So, why not make it a dedicated mode in the existing game? Which will also solve balance issues.

4) Most important of all, you dont divide the player base. The core reason to not making PoE2 a separate game as well (as well as more content). And in doing so, you could have some cool trophies from PvP that translate over to your PvE. Hideout objects, or a few gear customisations. Integrating it even more into the core game and making it even more fun to take place in from time to time.

Not in the mood for PvP? Fire up another character and go for the rest of the content.

I truly dont get why they would want to make it a separate game. They have so much more to gain from making it a separate mode instead which will ultimately fix most of the balancing as well. No huge passive tree, etc, or leveling. One PvP skill tree per class, you make it on the fly, then start matches and work your way through the ranks with "earnings" to get better gear for higher tier leagues, keeping the loot/gear aspect kinda a part of it as well, etc.
Last edited by HazaRdReborN on Nov 23, 2019, 9:37:24 AM
"
HazaRdReborN wrote:
Im not cool with this. Why not just play something else? What is the point even? Furthermore, what is the point coming to a developer working on a PvE title telling them to go make a PvP one?????

They haven't even done PoE2 as a separate game... Why on Earth would they make a PoE-PvP as a separate game?

A part of their flagship product is "a joke" because that is not the point of the game. And personally I scratch my head at most people wanting PvP in PoE to begin with. Its like apples and oranges.

Be that as it may, I say if they ever do a revamp of the PvP into something that actually works, that they could work on it in the following way:

Just like PoE2 is a separate addition to the game that shares end game, this too can be a separate addition to the game, that, well shares nothing :P

The way this can be done is with new PvP Ascendancy selections. They could be called Ascendancies for lore purposes. The idea is characters that are selected as PvP from the start of their creation.

Have set class selections for each character. Allow for a set number of skills to be allowed in PvP. And have a gear lineup for those characters alone. It could have progression that works like ranks and currency from matches to buy better gear, and the gear could be tailored to PvP in this way as well.

Upon a total "tier value" being reached with gear, you enter a new "league" level if you want to give some progression to it all.

Hell, you can even have gambling from players in PvE placing bets. Whatever.

1) You are going to make a different game anyway, so making a league with its own items and classes is the same thing. Only that this way you spend less resources on it having the core game ready.

2) Upon making it, it can be integrated into the core game as an option, same way hardcore and SSF is.

3) The fact that there is PvP only gear should not bother PvE players, as it will be PvP gear for PvP only characters in PvP only content, which again is the same as having a separate game in which, well that gear wont come over to your PvE either. So, why not make it a dedicated mode in the existing game? Which will also solve balance issues.

4) Most important of all, you dont divide the player base. The core reason to not making PoE2 a separate game as well (as well as more content). And in doing so, you could have some cool trophies from PvP that translate over to your PvE. Hideout objects, or a few gear customisations. Integrating it even more into the core game and making it even more fun to take place in from time to time.

Not in the mood for PvP? Fire up another character and go for the rest of the content.

I truly dont get why they would want to make it a separate game. They have so much more to gain from making it a separate mode instead which will ultimately fix most of the balancing as well. No huge passive tree, etc, or leveling. One PvP skill tree per class, you make it on the fly, then start matches and work your way through the ranks with "earnings" to get better gear for higher tier leagues, keeping the loot/gear aspect kinda a part of it as well, etc.

Do you even pvp in POe?
Because the majority of pvpers in poe want to grind and use their builds from the game not having some sort of separated pvp mods with items given to them. The fun of pvp in arpg is to customize your build so no one else have the same and this is why randomized mods is fun with arpg pvp.

What you want is another style of pvp, this is not arpg pvp .

I will tell you , if PVP in poe become a separated mod, not one of the actual pvpers will play it. PVP in arpg= grinding gear to create unique builds.

Anyway Royal will be a separated mod for people like you.
Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Nov 23, 2019, 10:09:04 AM
"
lolozori wrote:

Do you even pvp in POe?
Because the majority of pvpers in poe want to grind and use their builds from the game not having some sort of separated pvp mods with items given to them. The fun of pvp in arpg is to customize your build so no one else have the same and this is why randomized mods is fun with arpg pvp.

What you want is another style of pvp, this is not arpg pvp .

I will tell you , if PVP in poe become a separated mod, not one of the actual pvpers will play it. PVP in arpg= grinding gear to create unique builds.

Anyway Royal will be a separated mod for people like you.

People like me?
Do I even play PvP?
Do you even read?

Like I said-
"I scratch my head at most people wanting PvP in PoE to begin with. Its like apples and oranges."

So no, I dont PvP in PoE and have no intent indulging in something as backward as that.

And that is the end all be all of it all if you want my true and honest opinion in PvP for an arpg. There is nothing good about it that works, and so I barely care about the people that want to use their current builds in PvP. Any game that mixes up PvE and PvP in that manner is destined to fail if one balance bleeds into the otehr. And if no balance is there at all its broken period and again, pointless as a PvP.
Hence why the easiest and best solution for it all is to scale all items and skills in said games to a base that is the same for everyone (which is what most of those games do).

From there on, people can duel, and its more than enough for them if they want to brag about their builds in a PvE game to others.

Having that said, I acknowledge that people want PvP in PoE. And the op is talking about making a separate game and establishes the reasons why. And so I go into explaining why there is no need for a different game, but a different mode instead.

The builds of one should not have anything to do with the other, PvP will always be crap in this way. And so the next best solution is to make a separate mode that does not rely on as much grind and has its own gear scaling.

Like, seriously, that is the most broken thing ever. Using PvE gear that you grind a lifetime for in PvP... LOL.... Ok....

Yes, I actually don't play pvp. PvP should have some form of player skill balance to it, and not a measuring contest of who got the better gear. If I want to play PvP, I go play some Quake and make sure I am invested in a title that takes balance and player skill seriously, not allow children that have no life and grind 100hrs a week to be matched against me in a game.

Thank you.
Chris talked about wanting to make Royale pretty much its own thing, complete with low level skill trees and low level versions of skills and uniques, so we might see at least this in the future. As to when? When they hire some new interns, it sounded like =P

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info