Rain of Failure (critique my dual RA totem rain build)

The idea was to make a Bow Mara using dual Ranged Attack Totems and Rain of Arrows, simply because I hadn't seen it done before (though I'm sure someone, somewhere, is doing something very similar).

The build, as of now (level 76):
Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAnEEBwSzBVsMfRB_FE0WbxkuGYUaOBpsHNwfAiQ8JKonqSftKU8spy0fMok2xTbpOtg8BT1fRtdJUUyzTdhQUFJTVElVxlfiWGNZ81orWm1fP2e9bRlyqXflfNl-WX_Ggh6Cm4M4i4yMdozPj0aQVZeVm6Gdrp_fogCio6PypwinXKeErKq4k7ndvJ_AGsHzxp7G2M9l0NDUGdSP2CTa3dsL4XPjauOf5CLnUuw47SDvDu988B_xdvIv9kg=

Auras:

Discipline, Haste, Clarity, Anger, and BM'd Wrath. leaves me at 400-500 mana left over, and I'm no where near 'well geared'.

The main link set up: Rain of Arrows, Ranged Attack Totem, Concentrated Effect, Weapon Elemental Damage, Remote Mine.

The secondary is simply Conversion Trap with increased duration, for those moments when getting my artillery out isn't quite easily accomplished, or I'm over run.

I haven't had the luck with Chromatics, but I've considered swapping Remote Mine for Faster Attacks (or adding in Faster Attacks if I ever get a 6L).

At the moment, most of my gear is (relatively) trashy:
Spoiler

3258 hp in town, 3005 hp after BM'd wrath. Obviously, I need some serious +life upgrades ;). next level will be the second point in Static Blows, but after that it's all heading towards more hp. Not sure if Static Blows is worth it (about half of my dps is lightning, listed as 58-1027 per totem).

Current dps listing on the rain of arrows totems is 2590.8 at 173 mana per cast.

Currently soloing level 68 maps.

So what I ask of all you builders out there, where did I go wrong/what could I do better? At the moment it seems like a large portion of my damage is coming from +base ele damage items (rings, neck, lioneyes paws, and Starkonjas 10% IAS, which can be challenging (read: expensive) to replace with gear that adds similar damage and also has +life. Obviously, I won't be getting much better damage from changing helm or boots, but it would probably help my survivability.

Another regular problem I run into, or rather; ran into until I found the Starkonjas, was a serious Dex shortage. Always sucks to find that new bow and not be able to use it due to Dex requirements.

Obviously, with Remote mine, the tactics become a little different than a 'brute force', open doors and start shooting character. You have to dance around the crowd, placing mines in key locations and popping them to turrets when your others are about to fall, or out of range. big problems are arc mages/leap slammers/anything else that kills mines. Big packs over running/ignoring the turrets, or ultra fast rares are easily handled with conversion trap (lol).

So what do you all think?
IGN: Mneten
Last edited by Mneten on Mar 17, 2013, 6:42:10 PM
Can you explain why remote mine is necessary? Why not just use the totem itself? Am I missing some stat increase it provides?
IGN: Tytralia
It's not entirely 'necessary' but the damage boost it provides is hard to overlook, and is worth it in a lot of situations i think. It can be inconvenient, having your mines get pop'd by an AoE, or having to lay totems only at your feet.

the benefit is completely counteracting the '40% less' damage from using the totem. at level 17 the 7% quality remote mine i found gives my 49% more. it's also handy to be able to drop mines while you already have two totems out, as soon as a totem falls you pop the new mines and have two more out, in a new location.

I haven't experimented a lot with other gems in that slot, but from what I've seen it seems to be the best DPS increase, and also adds another interesting twist to the way the character is played, that i have (so far) been enjoying.

You may be better off with added fire/lightning/chaos, depending. you could even replace that slot with Increased AoE, which i did tinker with, and can make the AoE quite large.
IGN: Mneten
Last edited by Mneten on Mar 18, 2013, 12:13:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info