PoE screen stuttering - FPS drops constantly

Hello to all and I know this is a recurrent thread subject around PoE Technical Support forums but I really don't know what else to do.

First of all, my specs (extracted some lines from DxDiag). Is an ASUS Strix laptop by the way:

-------------------------
OS and CPU
- Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763)(17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
- System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
- System Model: GL753VD
- BIOS: GL753VD.306 (type: UEFI)
- Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
- Memory: 16384MB RAM
Dedicated video card
- Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
- Manufacturer: NVIDIA
- Chip type: GeForce GTX 1050
- DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
- Device Type: Render-Only Device
Disk drives
Drive: C:
Free Space: 26.4 GB
Total Space: 121.0 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: SanDisk SD8SNAT128G1002

Drive: D:
Free Space: 885.6 GB
Total Space: 953.9 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100
========================================================================

First of all, I run PoE in my HDD through Steam, and PLEASE, don't start your comments saying "buy and SSD, it will fix your problems" because I saw plenty of threads out there where people have SSDs for some years and have experienced the same problem with the performance dropping quite low lately. I ran PoE in my HDD for a year and a half and I didn't have this problem before. In Legion and half of the Blight league, everything was working beautifully, I had some frame drops when facing a huge amount of mobs which was usual, but besides that never experienced the screen stuttering/constant FPS drop after the last 2 or 3 patches.

I play PoE in windowed fullscreen mode, everything was set on low since I bought my laptop and installed PoE on it (because my graphic card is not that powerful though, but it's enough to play PoE decently), VSYNC was disabled originally, the dynamic resolution was on 50 FPS, everything was working fine, I played Delve, Betrayal, Synthesis, and Legion even I started playing Blight without problems, until 1 week or so on the league where this stuttering started driving me crazy, every step you take is a screen mini-shake and is annoying not only for my sight but also the playstyle, it's hard to control the character against big fights like Uber Elder, or simply mapping, jumping around with Leap Slam, for example, will make you stay like a microsecond in the mid-air.

So far I took some examples from other threads and followed their guides to configure PoE both in-game as outside the game. I configured the settings from the Nvidia control panel and used the Nvidia Inspector to limit the frames. Turning on VSYNC and that sort of things, even forcing the x32 and x64 bits executables to use the Nvidia card, nothing worked.

The only thing left is to uninstall the game from Steam, installing the stand-alone client and see if that helps with the issue. Or installing the game from scratch again through Steam.

Let me know on the comments what did you do to fix this issue so far, I'll try to read all of them and follow them to see if my problem gets fixed. Thank you.
Last bumped on Dec 22, 2019, 1:08:35 PM
Same issue started happening as I hit act 7-8 lvl 60+
with 66-5 fps drop bouncing up and down every few seconds.
No issues at lower levels 20-50 and no changes to my setup or software.
Same, tends to happen on malformation spawns, no clue why
For those that are currently having this problem, what I did was not to run the Steam client again and run the standalone client instead which is located in the same folder where Steam keeps it: Steam -> steamapps -> common -> Path of Exile.

There are some minor behaviors some FPS drops here and there but just the normal stuff, the stuttering was gone for me.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info