Movement skill on predictive mode

It's been a while since I've noticed the issue, it's time to draw your attention to the problem.

Since 3.7.0 movement skills work unpredictably wrong at 170ms latency on predictive mode.

Flame dash in particular:

Spoiler

casting 3.6cast/sec Flame Dash, at Texas realm instance at 170ms (stable) latency at Auto (Predictive) network mode leads to:
1) character teleports to chosen destination
something goes wrong
2) character automatically teleports back to starting position (fake)
3) server side the character is located on the initial teleport (1) destination so moving anywhere from (2) cause heavy desync.

You can see the issue on the gif, the character got killed by Storm Burst cast on highground.

At the same game mode as I described above, 2.3 use/sec Whirling Blades cause desync in a straight line each few seconds if used in pair with animation canceling:

Notice the fence appear on the screen twice.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Bad-by-design things like Leap Slam, Shield Charge and Lightning Warp are damn unusable at this mode.
I virtually can't play the game outside of EU anymore. What have you done!
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Dec 12, 2019, 3:04:27 PM
Last bumped on Apr 4, 2020, 1:30:29 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
You could probably think this is "just a shitty network issue"
BUT it's not. It's a pure skill usability regression introduced with skill animation canceling.

I don't mind to get desynced from time to time while playing on Texas server from EU, but Flame Dash and Whirling blades now have 100% reproducible problem in this specific mode.

Here's the line for "known issues list":
"Movement skills work unpredictably wrong at high network latency"
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Dec 11, 2019, 4:05:07 PM
The thing is broken:

Spoiler

7x slowed:

Spoiler
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Dec 12, 2019, 3:04:38 PM
Seems like a pure desync issue to me, also why are you on texas server and not a EU or or east coast server if you're from EU and then play on lockstep?
Twitch.tv/Nithryok
Exactly the same thing is happening with traps, and I guess with mines, but can't be certain.

Explanation:
- movement on LMB
- trap throw on RMB

-> character is on the move
-> RMB is pressed, with LMB being held down
-> character stops to throw the trap
-> after the throw, character resumes moving

However, it appears that the server actually doesn't get the information that the character stopped moving to use an ability, recalculates your position and pushes you back a bit. It's really a pain in the butt when partying, as it gets even more intense (farther push-backs).
Sitting in HO spamming alts for 4 hours straight is peak PoE gameplay. Thanks, Chris.
Last edited by Ydoum on Jan 3, 2020, 8:07:51 PM
The game is unplayable if you using "non-running" movement skill at 150ms+ latency.
Tell me it's a good thing no one care about it.
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Feb 11, 2020, 12:55:03 AM
Same happens to me, I can't use those skills anymore.
EU realm, Frankfurt, ping <60ms with spikes sometimes >150ms

I assume the technology isn't there yet.
Animation canceling mechanics implementation was "one way ticket" now the only thing left to users — "deal with it".
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Mar 7, 2020, 12:26:32 PM
Movement skills have sadly double-fired for a while.
Seeing your last GIF, shows 3 charges on Flame Dash, and after casting it once; you're left with one charge (it does the animation twice, which is noticeable on your character).

I've been seeing this for what feels like ages now. And it's not related to latency. I play with 25-35ms latency on the Amsterdam realm, and all movement skills with charges, fire twice (but not all the time - but fairly often).

Same thing sadly happens to potion use, but far less frequent.

For me, it doesn't matter if I'm on Predictive or Lockstep. Issue still shows up.
Last edited by Tagger on Apr 4, 2020, 1:32:22 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info