Frostblink

Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Last bumped on Apr 25, 2024, 3:51:03 PM
It can't blink between separate part of the map, like flame dash, for example you can't cross broken bridges in Act 2. So it is useless in Pillars.
Still can't understand cd reduction - witch aoe is checked: initial or destination.
Sometimes i suffer of it instant cast, when you blink, but in wrong place cause of restrictions of terrain or even lag. Very lag-dependent skill.

As defending mechanic I would prefer some damage reduction with this skill while it has cd. Not damage.

Need to be tested vs Elder aoe slow. Further in league.
Note: This is currently bugged and being scaled with damage over time supports such as Swift Affliction. It cannot presently be supported by almost any support specific to a skill that hits. It also cannot be supported by spell totem or trap support.

Otherwise...

Pros:
Great potential. Fun factor imo is huge with the right skills/supports.
Damage is pretty decent.
Could easily be built around as a primary or secondary ability.
With some AoE range enhancements, it's cooldown is negligible.
There's also new cooldown passives, which I'm totally going for.

Cons:
It's bugged and acting like damage over time even though it's instantly applied.
Can't hold down the skill key to repeat when it's off cooldown.
The default AoE is a bit small.
I'm ok with the short, and required, range since it deals decent damage.. but it does mean you need another skill for actual movement.

I'm currently level 38. Playing with Ice Nova, using Frostblink as an instant AoE follow-up for burst/get out of melee. It's a very fun skill, but it could definitely use some love. A few bug fixes + tweaks and I'll be playing 3+ toons this league minimum..
I just beat Act 10 with Frostblink as my main damage dealing skill.

The damage scaling per level is huge, so +2 levels to gems has a huge impact (For example on Bronn's Lithe, or currently Honourhome as off-colors are expensive on Bronn's Lithe). A double corrupted shaper chest could reach +5 levels, and with the right corruption on an empower, it goes even higher. I guess there's a point at which a more multiplier is more interesting than another additional level, but I'll have to do some calculations to minmax that.

Once the bug around the supports that don't apply gets fixed, I expect to get even more damage, notably through Ice Bite and Cold Penetration. For now, Arcane Surge + Increased AoE make it powerful enough to one-shot packs of white monsters, and deal with rares at a decent pace.

I played around the idea of using Nuro's Harp for a stronger chill, but ultimately decided to go with a one-handed mace so I can use Chain Hook. This lets me reposition quickly between two casts of Frostblink, and allows me to physically avoid a lot of melee hits. Fortify and Blind linked Chain Hook makes it useful, not just for repositioning. Spine of the First Claimant gave me a good damage boost, and Doryani's Catalyst should top that easily once I can get my hands on one (or two!). I'm playing a Raider with a lot of evasion/dodge, I benefit from Flesh and Stone's blinding area and all the bonuses against blinded enemies from the tree, and hope to use my Frenzy Charges with Ice Bite and the Raider's ascendency for permanent phasing, additional dodge and even more damage. Cooldown reduction on the tree and a belt help cast Frostblink at reasonable intervals, the only moments where it's too slow is against single blue monsters that have a little too much life. CWDT + Cold Snap ensures that the enemis that hit me from afar are chilled, and will take increased damage once I reach them. Frost Bomb on the same CWDT make closer enemies take even more cold damage, and prevent them from regenerating life, which helps against strong single targets (eg bosses).

Frostblink is definitely slow to level up with, especially without a "+level to gems" unique to put it in. But with the right build, it gets powerful enough to deal with bossfights (I did most of the Act 6-10 boss fights without dying because the mobility from Frostblink is just too good). All in all it's a lot of fun! I always loved movement-based skills, and the new updates to melee make manually avoiding attacks a truly interesting mechanic, for which Frostblink is a solid help.

My only concern is on using Bonechill: while the support seems to apply, it's not super clear if the cold damage taken debuff applies enemies. Specifically, I don't know if they take the debug from the chill from the hit, or from the chilled ground. I don't know if my increased effects of chill also apply to the chilled ground created by this skill. All in all it's pretty hard to tell how much of an impact Bonechill has on Frostblink, and whether or not investing in increased effect of chill will grant me any kind of damage increases.
I've been using Frostblink since its release on my level 97 Frost Blades Raider as a complementary movement skill to Whirling Blades, especially for dodging bosses' attacks and avoiding terrain obstructions. Before Frostblink, I used Charged Dash as a secondary movement skill, but it was only good for crossing gaps and ledges.

Frostblink is great as a dodging skill for characters that fight up close, mostly because of it's instant cast and being a teleport (breaks down vines and doesn't get stuck on pebbles). Both cool down time and travel distance are appropriate, however for slow moving characters the travel range may be a little too short to avoid heavy hitting telegraphed attacks with big area of effect such as Shaper's slam. Cool down recovery speed bonus per nearby enemy is a very fun mechanic.

For ranged characters it's not even useful most of the time. Travel distance is too short to move away from incoming enemies by any significant length. Fighting from distance prevents receiving the bonuses to cool down recovery speed, and the base cool down time is too long compared to the intensity of combat when a dodging skill would actually be needed. That being said, the instant cast alone might make it worthwhile to keep on the skill bar, just for the ability to "unstuck" the character in the last moment.

As a movement skill, that is, used for crossing gaps, jumping over ledges and moving from one enemy pack to another, Frostblink is very, very underwhelming. Its travel distance is too short to cross many common obstacles, and paired with the long cool down time, definitely too short to be used to close the distance to enemies. Especially considering that it may become needed at the start of engagement, while the cool down hasn't wore off yet. Cool down recovery bonuses obviously don't come into play when Frostblink is used to move to another group of enemies, because all the nearby enemies are dead by then.

If you want to make Frostblink better as a movement skill, I strongly recommend increasing the travel distance by at least 100%. It really is that bad. As a dodging skill for melee or other close combat characters it's very good, although the high intelligence requirement is rather unwarranted. It's not very useful for ranged characters, but I guess that can be written off as specialization.

Criticism aside, the skill is very fun to play, and I'm definitely going to continue using it, even if it's travel distance remains the same. It's also nice to see that it's a viable primary skill for other players.
Last edited by Czerń on Jun 17, 2019, 5:31:32 PM
Would like clarification on whether the cooldown recovery is based on the damage aoe radius, or the general character area of effect, and if when you add AoE it affects the cooldown AoE radius.

Attempted to increase the radius with somewhat poor results myself, so not actually sure if the cooldown radius is shared with the damage radius.
State of Beyond Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3441741

State of Blight Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3470384

State of Harbinger Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3473629
As a ranged caster I agree. The cooldwon is too long, that's why I switched to flame dash. It doen't feel like a fast travel skill, like others. Faster casting, or less duration doesn't help, but would be nice if they do. Also it only helps to evade one hit, but the short distance and long cooldwons doesn't help if the mob/boss reaches out for a second attack. For me as a caster this skill is useless, except teleporting throug walls.
PLEASE give these new instant travel spells the ability to cross the most common of obstacles; A2 broken bridges, A3 solaris wp to roach-bitch, etc.

It's frustrating enough that the cooldown is so long without nearby enemies, but the fact that it utterly fails at the most basic task is frustrating to say the least.
Travel distance is too short to jump pillars in Pillars of Arun map, though Flame Dash can jump them.

Frostblink has some advantage when opening Strongboxes or Essence monsters, so I wish it will be improved for such purposes. Especially larger and stronger chilled ground with longer duration.
Tried this skill in legion league. It has only one use, has a long cooldown and can only teleport a short distance.

Why would i use this over flame dash? That's what i was wondering when i tested it and i couldn't find an answer to that question.

If it could teleport the same distance as lightning warp i would consider it.
Last edited by kompaniet on Jul 12, 2019, 7:56:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info