[3.7] The Hitman, Elemental Hit Slayer (League Starter to Endgame)

Hello and welcome to "The Hitman" an Elemental Hit slayer build focused on being both a cheap league starter well suited for Legion mechanics. While also having the ability to scale into a high damage endgame boss killer.

This guide will be a work in progress as I intend to league start with the character and work on refining it and patching things up as I go, please keep that in mind.

0.1.0 Table of Contents
Spoiler
0.1.0 Table of Contents
0.2.0 Pros and Cons
0.3.0 Path of Building
0.3.1 Ascendancy Choices
0.3.2 Budget Info
0.4.0 Bandits and Pantheon
0.5.0 Leveling/Tree
0.5.1 Early levels
0.5.2 Mid levels
0.5.3 Early endgame/Mapping
0.6.0 Mechanical Explanations
0.7.0 Gems and Links
0.8.0 In-Depth Gearing
0.8.1 Weapon
0.8.2 Quiver
0.8.3 Helmet
0.8.4 Gloves
0.8.5 Boots
0.8.6 Belt
0.8.7 Ring
0.8.8 Amulet
0.8.9 Body Armor
0.8.10 Flasks
0.8.11 Jewels
0.9.0 Boss Kills
0.10.0 FAQ

0.2.0 Pros and Cons
Spoiler

Pros:
- Very high damage for very low investment.
- Strong clear with good movement speed.
- Scales to over 4 million single target DPS.
- Easy to play.

Cons:
- No Ele reflect immunity.
- Doesn't use too many new shiny toys.
- Damage ultimately caps out based on gem levels.
- Requires manual dodging/guard usage.

0.3.0 Path of Building
Spoiler
My Current Setup: (coming soon)
Endgame Build: https://pastebin.com/uipxN0dY
Starting Build: https://pastebin.com/V89xnyVS

I've included 3 endgame trees, the Leveling/AoF tree should be used until you get your Xoph's Blood amulet, after that you should drop the left-hand side of the tree. You can then switch to either the Endgame tree, or late endgame tree depending on your level and the state of your gear. It should be noted that the mana nodes are optional and should be taken or dropped depending on how comfortable your mana feels.

0.3.1 Ascendancy Choices
Spoiler
Overwhelm and Headsman are both mandatory for this setup, they give a huge amount of damage and reliable critical strike protection. For your 3rd and 4th points there's a bit of a toss up my personal preference is Bane of Legends / Endless Hunger for mapping or Endless Hunger / Brutal Fervor for Delving.

I don't consider Vaal Pact + Overleech to be a reliable defense, especially without heavy investment, and Bane of Legends gives 20% more damage via cull, and movement/attack speed for clearing.

If you do take Brutal Fervor and Vaal Pact, I suggest picking up Vitaliy Void and possibly Gladiator's Perseverance. Keep in mind that taking Vaal Pact will feel good while clearing maps but be a massive handicap against phased encounters such as Catarina or Aul where you will lose your leech while still having to do mechanics (5s overleech duration 10-15s boss immunity phases).

If you do not use Vaal Pact your leech is a bit slower, but it feels much better and will still allow you to do things such as run off into the darkness in delve. Getting some regen on your tree will smooth the damage out.

So why are we a Slayer?
To be blunt, because Overwhelm, Headsman, and Bane of Legends gives us more damage than other ascendancies. 8% base crit on a Thicket bow and an additional suffix craft, 10-100% crit multi, 20% more damage against uniques and a 20% cull or the ability to run off into the darkness while delving is formidable to say the least. Is it the most defensive option? No, you'll get more raw defenses from Scion Pathfinder/Jugg but with Acro/Phase Acro/Vaal Grace, 7k life and decent recovery the build should feel smooth to play and kill things quickly.

0.3.2 Budget Options
Spoiler
Coming soon.

0.4.0 Bandits and Pantheon
Spoiler

For Bandits we take Alira, if you wish to take "Kill All" for the +2 skill points while using RT you are welcome to. However the mana regen and allres from Alira is still relevant while using RT and this saves you a bit of a respec cost later.

For Pantheons the standard suggestion would be to take Lunaris for your major, alternatively taking Brine King for stun mitigation.

For your minor Yugul, and Gruthkul are both great options depending on if you are more concerned about physical or elemental damage.

0.5.0 Leveling/Tree

Spoiler
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/V89xnyVS

0.5.1 Early levels
Spoiler

I think there are 3 ways you can level this build, all three are approximately equal in terms of speed/difficulty. Picking up Dash early is very helpful.

1) You can choose to level as Ele Hit, do not get Avatar of Fire until you have Pyre and your two Combat Focus jewels. Once you have this rush avatar and watch your damage soar. Prioritize getting a 4-link with Green-Green-Green-Red to run Ele Hit / Mirage Archer / LMP or Volley / Elemental Damage with Attack Skills.

2) Level as melee, pick a skill stick with it and respec once you hit maps. I suggest using any sort of skill that can be used with swords and has flat added damage as the gem levels.

3) Level as Toxic Rain, prioritize generic damage / attack speed ---> health, once you get to maps you can respec to Ele Hit.

0.5.2 Mid levels
Spoiler
You'll want to prioritize health so long as you have enough damage to kill trash quickly. On bosses do the mechanics and dodge slow attacks, if rares are giving you trouble due to your damage just run past and skip them.

0.5.3 Early endgame/Mapping
Spoiler
Finally we use the full early game tree with Avatar of Fire. This setup will give enough damage to breeze through red maps and while U Elder might not be the smoothest with this tree it would be doable.

0.6.0 Mechanical Explanations
Spoiler
0.6.1 Chin Sol and +3 Bow
Spoiler
Chin Sol gives 50% More damage at close range, this stacks with the bonus from Point Blank making it a strong way to boost single target damage cheaply. This item does not require any links if you are using Frostferno.

My endgame weapon is a +3 gem level bow because Elemental Hit scales heavily off of gem levels not unlike a spell making Empower a fully viable endgame choice. The reason this weapon will have no local crit modifier is because of Slayer's "Overwhelm" node giving any weapon 8% critical strike chance at a baseline. This does override local crit mods on the weapon.

0.6.2 Conversion mechanics, Pyre / Xoph's / Frostferno
Spoiler
Elemental Hit adds ALL of the Fire, Cold, and Lightning damage to your attack, and then picks an element rendering you unable to deal damage of any other type. However, if you convert that damage into the chosen type you will be able to deal it.

Therefore we use Combat Focus to prevent Elemental hit from choosing Cold or Lightning.

Then use Xoph's Blood or Avatar of Fire to convert 50% of our Cold and Lightning Damage to Fire damage, the chosen element.

Finally, Pyre, or Frostferno (and optionally Call of the Brotherhood) can be used to convert additional Cold or Lightning damage into Fire to maximize the output.

0.6.3 Lioneye's Fall
Spoiler
Lioneye's Fall converts melee damage nodes into bow damage allowing us to use melee nodes including weapon specific nodes from anywhere on the tree. It is typically placed below "Soul Raker" to take advantage of the crit and leech nodes.

0.7.0 Gems and Links
Spoiler
Ele Hit Frostferno (ST)
Elemental Hit - Mirage Archer - Elemental Damage with Attack Skills - Combustion Support.
For clear in your Frostferno instead use:
Elemental Hit - Mirage Archer - Elemental Damage with Attack Skills - Greater Multiple Projectiles

Elemental Hit in a Bow (Clear)
Elemental Hit - Mirage Archer - Elemental Damage with Attack Skills - Combustion Support - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Fire Penetration

To use this on single target, drop GMP for Slower Projectiles.
In full endgame gear, you can drop Fire Pen for Empower L4.

-----

Cast When Damage Taken - Cold Snap - Blood Rage - Wave of Conviction.
This is a generic utility setup, Cold Snap chills enemies (Ele hit does 10% More damage per ailment on an enemy), Blood Rage gives Aspd/Frenzies while clearing, and Wave of Conviction applies exposure.

Dash
A nice snappy movement skill this can be replaced with any other movement skill of your choice.

Portal Gem.
Saves portal scrolls

Immortal Call or Steelskin
A strong defensive Guard skill, with the changes I suggest using this manually as opposed to putting it on a CWDT.

Vaal Grace
Dodge caps us while it's up, great for damage mitigation.

Alternatively:
you can use Storm Brand / Orb of Storms - Power Charge on Critical Strike - Onslaught - Blind. This will give reliable blind, power charges, and single target Onslaught.

----

Auras:
Hatred or Anger, pick one based around your Watcher's Eye since you convert so heavily to fire both are viable.

Blasphemy - Flammibility, a solid curse for early game can be swapped out for Assassin's Mark or an Elemental Weakness corruption.

War Banner, a bit of accuracy is nice once you go crit, aside of that on-demand adrenaline for bursting enemies is great.

Precision - to ignore accuracy requirements and add crit.

0.8.0 In-Depth Gearing
Spoiler

I'll go into more detail as I play the build more, and reach endgame.

0.8.1 Weapon
Spoiler
Notable weapons:
Chin Sol (solid single target, Point Blank Effect)
Reach of the Council (pseudo-6link for clearing, mediocre overall)
Quill Rain (can be used to clear, mediocre damage)

If you want a cheap Ele hit weapon you can use something like:

This can be created using "The Porcupine" divination card set and rolled with a Shrieking Essence of Rage. You don't need to be too picky early on, but later you will want to reroll a few times to get something such as +2 with attack speed or crit multi, and an open prefix and an open suffix.

you will then want to craft "Cannot Roll Attack modifiers" on the item, and slam it with an exalt or Leo bench. This will guarantee +1 to level of socketed gems as a prefix, you can then craft a suffix of your choice. You can use that weapon until you get a shaper bow.

0.8.2 Quiver
Spoiler
Notable quivers:
Drillneck, increased damage to targets you pierce, life/aspd.
A shaper rare with +1 arrow, or any rare with the frenzy charge on crit craft adds quite a bit of damage.

you'll always be piercing so you get 50% increased damage, the life/attack speed is also quite nice but replaceable by a rare late game.

0.8.3 Helmet
Spoiler
Starkonja's Head, life, defenses and a bit of damage.
Frostferno pseudo 5-link with conversion and +gem levels for Ele Hit
Hrimnor's Resolve, decent budget helmet usually dirt cheap.
Or use a rare with eva or armor and life, ideally rolled with -9% fire res from a Scorched fossil.

Helmets with life and resists are excellent, if you can get armor or evasion on it as opposed to energy shield all the better but you shouldn't worry too much about the base type. Prioritize a high life roll (100+) then try to get something such as a fossil mod to boost your damage, or a % of physical damage taken as elemental temple mod to boost your defenses. After that look for accuracy, resists no need to be too picky early on, but later you'll want an Elemental Hit enchantment for 15% increased Attack Speed.

0.8.4 Gloves
Spoiler
Tombfist, intimidate/maim.
Oskarm, assassin's mark & crit from accuracy.
Gripped Gloves, with life/res/aspd.

right now I'm not using anything special for my gloves. Try to prioritize getting something with life on it, then any resists you need and finally "icing" on the cake such as attack speed, or a temple mod to add damage against burning enemies.

0.8.5 Boots
Spoiler
Atziri's Step life/spell dodge.
Rare boots with life, movement speed and resists.

Having good movement speed is very worthwhile as this build doesn't have access to spammable melee movement skills, after that prioritize life and then resists.

0.8.6 Belt
Spoiler
Belt of the Deciever, intimidate.
Soul Tether, overleech (yes that's right overleech on your belt as a Slayer, because I don't feel it's worth 4 points).
Or just use a Stygian Vise with elemental damage with attack skills, life, and/or resists.

If you're using a Stygian I suggest rolling it yourself with Pristine fossils, you can use Prismatic to increase the odds of elemental damage / resist modifiers or scorched fossils for fire resist / increased fire damage.

0.8.7 Ring
Spoiler
Pyre or Call of the Brotherhood to handle conversion.
Mark of the Elder for raw damage
or a rare ring (ideally Assassin's Mark on hit shaper), life, res, etc.

It's really hard to say what you should prioritize on a ring. I tend to use rings to fix other problems I may have with my build, if I'm missing int? grab a ring. Missing crit? Diamond. Missing life? Coral. Just use your ring slot to "fill in" any gap you find with your character.

0.8.8 Amulet
Spoiler
Xoph's Blood, or Yoke of Suffering. I suggest Xoph's and dropping the left side of the tree. You can also use a rare but it won't be as powerful.

Yoke of Suffering or a well made rare neck is also worth considering. However, I think that pathing left to the other side of the tree is pretty taxing on your damage/defenses so it's more efficient to use Xoph's.

0.8.9 Body Armor
Spoiler
Kaom's Heart.
Belly of the Beast.
Elder Rare chest with % max life / Crit.

If you are using a Kaom's Heart I suggest getting a defensive corruption, increased maximum resistances or reduced damage taken are both excellent. Alternatively you can use one with increased damage to boost dps but I don't think that's needed.

0.8.10 Flasks
Diamond Flask when crit.
Wise Oak for damage and defenses.
Basalt, Stibnite, or Jade for defenses.
Quicksilver for movement.
Cinderswallow is an option.

More to come soon.

0.8.11 Jewels
Two Combat Focus are mandatory.
Beyond that, Tempered Flesh for Crit multi before you drop the left side of the tree.
Watcher's Eye matching your auras for damage.
Rare Jewels with life/attack speed/crit multi.
Abyss jewels with life/attack speed/crit multi.

More to come soon.

0.9.0 Boss Kills
Spoiler

Assassination Contract.: Shaper
https://youtu.be/oN9kmZS8xvk

Assassination Contract: Uber Elder
https://youtu.be/y7B5bb1ykOU

0.10.0 FAQ
Coming soon
Last edited by Tenkiei on Jun 15, 2019, 3:13:06 PM
Last bumped on Jun 16, 2019, 5:00:50 PM
Reserved for future use.
Looks good, I may roll with this tomorrow.
I cleaned up some of the sections. Added some rough item suggestions among the in-depth gearing.

After leveling I'll flesh out the leveling section. All PoBs should be up now... hopefully with no errors.

For most of the rest I'll flesh it out as I go.
Hi!

What makes Slayer better than Deadeye for Fire Ele Hit?
Won't we lose clearspeed, due to loss of Deadeye's speed?

Thanks
zzz
Slayer gives us 20% movement and Attack speed this buff stacks with onslaught.

If your goal is Magic Finding then yes Deadeye might go a little bit faster with max Tailwind, but the difference will be minimal at best. If your goal is to clear more challenging content quickly you'll find it much smoother on a Slayer due to the vastly higher damage and better defenses.

I should also note, this build isn't really set up purely for clearspeed it's an all-round character capable of killing endgame bosses such as Uber Elder, clearing maps, or delving.

Personally, I never found the Deadeye variant to be worth playing over Scion (Pathfinder / Slayer or Slayer / Jugg) due to how overpowered Scion overleech was previously, and I always prefer to have a solid layered defense to moving or clearing a little bit faster.
Last edited by Tenkiei on Jun 7, 2019, 12:48:47 PM
Thank you, that cleared things up for me!

I hope you keep updating this build, as I will be following it :)

I probably won't have enough time this league to farm for a Xoph's Blood, so I'm gonna have to stick with Avatar of Fire :S

One more thing: Which one should I use, Pyre or Call of Brotherhood, and why not both? I remember playing a build like this 2 leagues ago, and I used both those rings...

Thanks again! :D

edit: Why not take VAAL PACT?
zzz
Last edited by lazycalm2 on Jun 7, 2019, 2:13:08 PM
If you're using Cold to Fire via Frostferno use Call of the Brotherhood.
If you're using no Cold to Fire use Pyre.

You could use both but I don't think it's worth giving up both ring slots personally. You should have enough damage with just 1 ring and I'm a bit greedy when it comes to resists. Don't worry I will be updating and clarifying stuff as I play the build, level, etc.

-----

I think it should function as crit even without Xoph's but the point-tax is a little rough.

Edit: I just noticed your edit now. Vaal Pact is a death trap you gain too little for giving up the ability to recover your life via regeneration while out of combat. Especially as the crit version does not take overleech.

Keep in mind overleech now lasts 5 seconds,
many bosses have immunity phases lasting 10-12 seconds, so for half that time you will be ticking down from Blood Rage / any damage with no recovery outside of your life flask.
Last edited by Tenkiei on Jun 7, 2019, 2:49:46 PM
Guide updated a bit, added some more detail to the gearing section and posted revised skill trees.
Nice guide! I'm making a character pretty much alongside it.
Intelligence seems to be very painful to get enough of, any suggestions on that?
IGN: somewittynamehere

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info