3) Occultist is just broken, also new ES leech

Things to add:
Spoiler
- some videos
- some coolio gifs
- some leveling guide/trees
- idk

Hello there Exile!
Welcome to the build to my Low Life Ice Nova Occultist, this is just a iteration of Mathil builds. It's quite unique because we're using Eber's Unification to get that 8% conversion as well as -40% chaos resist from Void Gaze + ascendancy and bunch of other cold-chaos conversion from multicrafted staff.

Fun note, according to pob, this build does around 60% more dmg than Mathil did in his video and still can be improved with some Pandemonious amulet.

Disclamer:
Do not recomend this build for new players.

This is pretty much just draft of my approach to this build, I m still playing this league, improving it and collecting 36 challanges, so yeah. Feel free to experiment, highly suggest doing Low Life version of this build, it's quite fun.

This little fun purple cone effect is Void Gaze from helmet I use, Eber's Unification.

Concept:

Spoiler

So the rough idea is to stack Cold damage and convert it to chaos and utilize alot of -chaos/cold resistance from Void Gaze and Void Beacon.
Some numbers:
Void Beacon -20 cold/chaos + Void Gaze -20 chaos resistance + 45 cold resistance from Frostbite.
8% Eber's Unification + 16% + 8% Cold to Chaos conversion from multicrafted staff(total 36%).

I want to start! | Mathil starter | Explanation guide

PoB damage | Ice Nova Tooltip

Spoiler

PoB | Current gear

Bandits | Panteon
Spoiler
Help Alira
Panteons Soul of Lunaris and Soul of Gruthkul

Gem links
Spoiler

Ice Nova
Staff with Power Charge support mod: Ice Nova + Faster Casting + Controled Destruction + Hypothermia + Spell Echo + Concentraded/Increased Area effect
On 5 link drop Hypothermia or Conc/Inc effect.
Staff without Power Charge support mod: Ice Nova + Faster Casting + Controled Destruction + Power Charge On Critical Strike + Spell Echo + Concentraded/Increased Area effect
On 5 link drop Conc/Inc effect.
If you want play budget version of this build I suggest getting Pledge of Hands, it gives free link 30 level Spell Echo.
Frostbolt
Frostbolt + Frostbite + Curse on Hit + Faster Casting + Slower Projectile + Greater Multiple Projectile
On 5 link use Slower or GMP, depends on your playstyle, for map clear I used GMP on bosses Slower until I got 6 link Shavs.
Low Life Setup
Discipline + Clarity + Blood Magic Support | Herald of Ice
Movement
Flame Dash + Vaal Righteous Fire + Faster Casting + Arcange Surge(5)
Cast When Damage Taken
Cold Snap(11) + Immortal Call (8) + Cast When Damage Taken (7) + Zealotry

Crafting Staff
Spoiler

Look for Eclipse Staff base it has to be Shaped and minimum ilvl 75, but you get 80 to get higher rolls.
If you didin't buy 6 link and you want to do it by your own, use Perfect Fossil to get 30% quanity and then craft +14% quantity on it. With 46% quantity, linking it is average 700 fusings, just get lucky.
Once you get it 6 linked it's time to do some proper crafting. Get alot of alt's and spam it to hit Socketed Gems are Supported by level 16-20 Power Charge on Critical strike.
Once you got it, you need to use regal to make it rare.
Next step it you need to use annulment, to have only this mod, so get your luck and slam that 50%.
Clear rare staff with Socketed Gems are Supported by level 16-20 Power Charge on Critical strike can be multimoded now.
Now you can have fun crafting mods on it. I suggest looking onto PoB and try to use different mods.

How do I sustain mana?
Spoiler

Warlord's Mark is must, you can use it with Herald of Ice setup and drop Onslaught on it.
Clarity helps alot as well the perk from Watcher's Eye.

All content viable?
Spoiler

Easly, just learn to dodge, this character rewards you in damage, but you need to focus and react to enviroment.
Last edited by Kaenshin_ on Mar 30, 2019, 9:07:51 AM
Last bumped on Jul 23, 2019, 3:45:45 AM
Thank you for this build, I am very interested in starting it in HC. I was hoping if you have some time to do a leveling guide/tips with tree suggestions. I am guessing we level with Frostbolt until Spell Echo at lvl 38? What about good levleing items at lvl 38+?
"
clawface wrote:
Thank you for this build, I am very interested in starting it in HC. I was hoping if you have some time to do a leveling guide/tips with tree suggestions. I am guessing we level with Frostbolt until Spell Echo at lvl 38? What about good levleing items at lvl 38+?

HC could be rough, I played this as a starter and it was quite gimmick.
Probably Freezing Pulse is better than Frostbolt until Spell Echo.
There is no good budget staffs for leveling, so I m suggesting just get you wand and shield until yellow maps. Just basic leveling gear as any caster. Frostnova scales insanely with items, without? It's quite rough, I would say it's a little bit clunky due to using 2 spells, mana cost and slow casting speed, but it's fun and rewarding for sure.
Fixed your PoB a little because it had some unrealistic stuff like Righteous Fire toggled on.

https://pastebin.com/iPwLMiCy

If you feel like 'focus' is on your frequently enough, reenable it.

I'd also really advise using Vaal Cold Snap.
Last edited by UlyUly on May 5, 2019, 11:03:37 AM
updates for 3.7 on this build?
Is this build possilbe in 3.7?
"
Nynx4life wrote:
Is this build possilbe in 3.7?

I have been running a relatively similar (but not quite the same) LL Cold-based Elementalist in Legion, and in my personal experience the loss of Warlord's Mark hurt HARD. In order to sustain mana you need to either invest a lot in mana and mana regen or use some sort of trick to pay less mana, such as CwC.

Due to said mana problems, I soon decided to switch from self-cast to Cyclone CwC Ice Nova, which was ok but had nonexistent single target damage, also on account of me using a Xirgil's staff (ewww, I know, right?) to deal with overtuned legion damage as well as the witch start ES nerf.

I then started experimenting with Winter Orb CwC Ice Nova, which had much better single target but it cost a bit more mana, which forced me to spec into the channelling cluster with -mana cost (I couldn't craft -mana cost on rings due to using two unique rings). However, this also ended up slowing me down a bit, due to the Winter Orb nerf, as well as my build not having any skill effect duration investment for WOrb. Due to this, I ended up switching over to WO CwC Frostbolt completely, and now only use Vaal Ice Nova for legion encounters.

EDIT: I decided to respec to Occultist 'cause I was still feeling too squishy for endgame content. Go figure.
Last edited by pachonerdfurufuru on Jul 2, 2019, 11:24:40 AM
Thanks a lot for your insight!
your build has been super fun to play so far!

your link to mathil's build video doesn't have the right time though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkrvTTEfPN4&t=846s is the right time for when he goes over it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info