Diablo 1 at GOG

The funny thing is I had only just put it on my GOG wishlist.

Almost feels like a survival game in comparison to more modern ARPGs but I think that can be fun.
You could get right back into PKing in Bnet!
"
Kavlor wrote:
The funny thing is I had only just put it on my GOG wishlist.

Almost feels like a survival game in comparison to more modern ARPGs but I think that can be fun.

Really considering doing it. Looks like a lot of people have bought it :)
Thanks for the wonderful news, this game has always been my favorite of the series, I'm definitely gonna play this to exhaustion.

Sorry dearest GGG but PoE seems to have entered a permanent kinda... meta-beta phase (of late), the game is laggy as hell, huge spikes happening especially when Betrayal shyte goes on, but I guess (not-so-dear not-at-all-dear to me) Tencent call the shots, it's ok, it's perfectly understandable, a man needs to earn a decent living n all that crap, so to speak...

I'd rather be ENjOYiNG a 20+ full years old game, and I won't bother explaining what meta really means to the laymen, open up a dictionary, one that includes the etymology of words.

> No hard feelings.
Ἀρχή Σοφίας ἡ τῶν ὀνομάτων ἐπίσκεψις -Ἀντισθένης ἁπλοκύων
Last edited by Nizhidrhamannit on Mar 14, 2019, 9:41:32 PM
Imo, if you haven't experienced the original Diablo, now is a great time to do it. It may have been great in its time, but now it is like a fully-ripened classic. There is just something about the raw fundamentalist experience of Diablo and the vintage charm that it has. Also, what wonderful voice acting.

I installed my original disc on March 3 and have been binging on the game since.

After finishing a single-player play-through, I am left wanting another chapter to the story. Of course, Diablo 2 is a great follow-up, but I totally could consume another chapter of the original, with a virtually unchanged look, feel, and interface, as crazy as that may sound.

I think that the original Diablo is a good example of less is more type design. It feels like the game in its entirety is meant to be explored and experienced, which is a truly welcome change for me following my experiences with PoE, where with each passing patch the slice of the game that I am willing to engage with only ever seems to get smaller (to be fair though, there was a time (like back in open beta) when I did feel compelled to experience the whole game).

I really like the way Blizzard North implemented the bad item modifiers in Diablo; there is a playfulness about them, and there is no secret or vagueness involved in being able to identify what is a bad item modifier. And shoot, Reduced Light Radius can actually be a desirable modifier, if you wanted to play more stealth-like and reduce monsters' ability to detect you (and make the dungeons even more dark and eerie).

I can't wait for Mr. Brevik to make a re-entry into the ARPG realm. Modern ARPGs only seem to strengthen my desire for a "back to the roots" kind of ARPG. These absolutely fucking cringe monetization models need to die; but alas, people can't help themselves; they will, without thought, continue to consume cheap and cheaply made, not meant to last, products and services. And you can't really blame smart business people for taking advantage.

I would like to confess that I purchased Pokémon Red version for Game Boy last year (used of course, because I actually wanted to play it) and, holy crap... can't we all just go back to the 90s for a little while? I don't know if any modern game could give me the satisfaction that some of these gems do. You know its a good game when critical bugs and glitches actually serve to add additional entertainment value and a quirkiness that is one-of-a-kind.
TY to those who called me out on my BS on these forums. There is no benefit to being so selfish as to fail to acknowledge others' differing beliefs of what "should be" or believe your own opinions so supreme as to be factual and thus dismiss others' opinions as being somehow a lie or delusional.
"
Perfect_Black wrote:
Modern ARPGs only seem to strengthen my desire for a "back to the roots" kind of ARPG.

Have you tried Book of Demons? The sentence above made me think of that and the project return2games.

Edited to add: I still have my original CD (well the one that came out of the Battle Chest) and it runs remarkably well on Win 10. Never even tried it on 7, but I heard that it did not run good.

Hard to get back into these antique games. Wife was disappointed that she could no longer play Morrowind. Just seemed too primitive now and we both really loved it at the time.
Censored.
Last edited by kolyaboo on Mar 15, 2019, 12:34:15 PM
I know a kindred spirit when I see one. Grats bro.

> Choose life, choose your future...

Edit:
As for another chapter to the original story, one can certainly hope so, especially now with the GOG modernized version, I'm still enjoying great mods made by the community over at the Mod DB site, for old favorites like Gothic Saga and others.

Diablo Hellfire mods

Ἀρχή Σοφίας ἡ τῶν ὀνομάτων ἐπίσκεψις -Ἀντισθένης ἁπλοκύων
Last edited by Nizhidrhamannit on Mar 15, 2019, 1:40:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info