[3.6] Vaal Ice Trap build (semi budget)

Hey so ice trap is getting a huge buff (!!!) in 3.6 and just wanna share my semi budget build that ive been playing since abyss (dont ask me why). After many fails on using a very underrated skill that got nerfed really hard (and now is getting a buff), I was able to kill uber elder and farm HOGM without any issues. You might be wondering where did I get Vaal Ice trap? well im from 2023, No I'm using Vaal ice nova for clearing mobs. The build mainly focuses on crit and trap speed.

"

Updated 03/27/19

So I finally killed Uber Elder without Pandemonius because I don't think its worth buying it right now with its current price. I made a lot of changes to the build with high Mana for MoM, with the changes I can tank t16 bosses,guardians and syndicates. Ill post videos regarding farming and boss killing. OH SOME IMPORTANT NOTE, DONT BUY SLAVE DRIVERHANDS THAT COSTS EXALTS. IT DOESNT COSTS THAT MUCH, SOME PLAYERS ARE TRYING TO PRICE FIX IT AND IT SHOULD ONLY COSTS LESS THAN 40C SO FOR THE MEANTIME BUY ARCHITECTS HAND AND WAIT FOR THE PRICE TO GO BACK TO NORMAL. IT KINDA PISSES ME OFF THEY DOING THAT

Pros
-Shattering mobs
-More Shattering mobs
-Good Clear speed
-Fast Move Speed
-Face Tanky boi
-League Starter
-Mana is not a problem, only using 1 skill that needs mana

Cons
-Low ES
-Unlucky dodge on maps but its not a really big deal, I just don't know what to put on cons lol

For items my main goal is to get as high as trap speed/crit chance/hp/mana and capped res
Items: [3.2] Beastiary
Spoiler
We are going for Tinkerskin because this is the only way you can gain hp and es when throwing traps and so you can face tank t16 bosses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So why am I using Deer Stalker If I can have a better one? I mainly use it for free Trap support and Trap Throwspeed. Vaal ice nova covers Ice Trap's small aoe radius and can clear a whole lot pack of mobs, its so satisfying hearing the breaking ice.
Note: Only use this as starter
Boots:

Atiziri's step or kaoms root if you are struggling with end game boss.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What you gonna look for a weapon. Cast Speed(not required),Crit Multi,Spell Crit Chance

Divinarius and Mirebough works well for leveling or finishing all act
This is the main and best item you need because you will be able to have more trap speed,aoe,endurance charge and your mana as part of your hp.

As for helm, just try get Life and cap your Res but! if you can get the ice trap enchants that would be a plus. The gems on this items are a must have because frost bomb works well with Pandemonious and Siphoning trap for more survivability and 100% chance of chill against boss.
Helm:

Shield with cast speed if you can, Life and Crit for spells.

Rings are the same for using life and capping res.

This one is a must for end game because of 20% pen is huge for ice trap and vaal ice nova. I was able to get this item for less than an ex from abyss league, its just this league went up to 5-8ex because of other ice skills getting huge buff.
Amulet:

Stygian belts are really easy to craft because of fossils so try and get a good one with res and life with pen abyss jewels.

-
My current Gear that I used to kill Uber Elder[3.6]Synthesis
Spoiler

You can get all these items just by doing chaos recipe, I always do it every league. All of them doesnt even cost an exalt except for the 6 link.

Pantheon for Uber Elder.
Soul of the Brine King - To avoid chain stun.
Soul of Rhyslatha - I reccomend you get the 60% increased life recovery because you really gonna need this.

-
Gem Setups and Why.
Spoiler
Movement
First let me explain the build movement speed.
This is the set up I'm using right now. Lightning Warp greatly helps with the decaying memories. You can use Flame dash if you must but Lightning Warp doesnt have any CD and we have a really fast cast speed so the delay is minimal.

If you feel like you still need more defence you can go with Shield Charge > Fortify > Faster Attacks > Blood Magic

Frostbomb. This thing is requried for this build. Pairing it with Arcane Surge(lvl3) will give us Cast Speed, Mana Regen and Spell Damage.
Frostbomb -> Arcane Surge(lvl3)

Beartrap. Just another damage buff for Ice Trap.

Beartrap -> Cluster Traps

Why I don't use Lightning Spire? Well you can honestly. Lightning Spire trap is good as a secondary but if you wanna Face Tank t16 boss or Syndicates then I recommend using Siphoning Trap

-
Bandit:
Spoiler
I originaly use Alira to cap res easily and the free crit chance.

-
Leveling:
Spoiler
Buy Mirebough for leveling, pair it with tinkerskin and Eldritch Battery and cap your res as much as you can.
(You gonna refund Eldritch Battery points after getting Slavedriver hands because its gonna be useless)

-
Gems you need to put on the side when finishing all act1-10.
Spoiler
(2xHyphotermia,Ice trap,Vaal ice nova,Inc Aoe,Siphotning trap,Bear trap,Cold Pen,Controlled destruction,x2Trap and Mine,Cluster trap)

-
Recommended Gems to use for fast leveling and finishing all act1-10.
Spoiler
(Lightning Trap,Trap and Mine,Cluster Trap,Pierce,Wrath )
I always use lightning trap to finish the quest line till act 10 because you will have lightning trap before ice trap and its easy to clear mobs.

-
Saboteur Ascendancy
Spoiler
Just follow this in order, from 1st to 4th.
Born in the shadows -> Perfect Crime -> Chain Reaction ->Pyromaniac.
Let me explain a bit. Born in the shadows helps us a lot from clearing all story line, with blind aura + Phase Acrobatics.
At this point I don't think we need Explosive Expert t but its up to you if you want to take it

-
Videos

Spoiler
Im currently editing them.

You can check my current build on my profile, if you got questions regarding the build just msg me, name is HoodieNiWillie.
I'll continue to edit the build guide.

Pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/rz2ZKijq
Last edited by zelativ26 on Mar 28, 2019, 1:38:46 AM
Last bumped on Jun 16, 2019, 3:41:36 AM
Hey there, saw your build in the reddit comments and already startet respeccing a shadow in standard. Seems really nice, might be my leauge starter. Thanks for the build and gl!
Thanks! You too mate! Ice trap is really good this league
Hey, great to see a ice trap trap build. When I saw the ice trap buff I just knew I had to make a ice trap build this build.
So I looked on http://www.timtips.com/buildbrowser/#/list for some ideas, as I was uncertain about the boss dps. But to be disappointment there where no ice trap builds under 3.6. So I choose 3.5 and your build poped up as the only one.

You probably need to change your title to 3.6, so that people will see it. You have some interesting ideas and it looks like a solid build. I bet more people than me, finds your ideas/build interesting.
"
Hey, great to see a ice trap trap build. When I saw the ice trap buff I just knew I had to make a ice trap build this build.
So I looked on http://www.timtips.com/buildbrowser/#/list for some ideas, as I was uncertain about the boss dps. But to be disappointment there where no ice trap builds under 3.6. So I choose 3.5 and your build poped up as the only one.

You probably need to change your title to 3.6, so that people will see it. You have some interesting ideas and it looks like a solid build. I bet more people than me, finds your ideas/build interesting.

Thanks for telling me!
Giving this a try myself. Look forward to any updates to it.
Would Charged Traps Support be better than Hypothermia Support? for Ice Trap?
"
Would Charged Traps Support be better than Hypothermia Support? for Ice Trap?

Thats a good question. I've tried Charged Traps but it lessens our dps by almost 20k. The only way it will be worth using is if you have more power charges than 3. Void battery would be a great item for late game if you can afford it.
What are your thoughts on this build for 3.7, Legion League?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info