Solid Physical 1H/Shield Build

There seems to be a lot of debate whether a 1H/Shield build can work throughout main-game and during end-game. The main reason is due to their damage output, which in turn, makes their "tankiness" nullified. Because, it's very hard to tank Merciless act 3 (docks) or map mobs.

I do not like gear dependent builds (unless I have the gear needed). Having the freedom to pick and choose gear that isn't "Godly" or whatever terms are being used is important to me. My build does not focus on picking up all the life nodes I possibly can and going for it. It is actually quite the opposite. I do not have much life. I don't even use IR which a majority of the melee player-base says is a requirement. I do focus on armor rating with my passives (which despite what a majority of people say, is very important) and some block chance.

Interesting tidbits:
Solo playing due to cheap laptop
Killed Piety at level 63
Started maps at level 63, Dungeon Brutus was first

Build Pro's:
-Soloable
-Cheap gear, other than weapon
-Mainly self-sustainable through passives
-Very "tanky" while maintaining decent clearing speed for melee

Build Con's:
-Not as "safe" compared to range due to being melee (This is the general consensus of the player base when discussing melee vs ranged. It is true, but a proper melee build can be safe enough)
-Weapon can be expensive (I use an axe, which are not really in demand right now)
-Endurance Charge micro-management

Bandit Rewards:
Normal - Help Oak
Cruel - Help Oak
Merciless - Help Oak

Current build stats:
Life - 3377
Life Regeneration - 152 (193 with Endurance Charges)
Armor Rating - 6929
Physical Reduction - 52% (82% with Endurance Charges)
Elemental Resistance - 80%
Chaos Resistance - -60% :(
Endurance Charges - 6
Block Chance - 35% (39% with Tempest Shield)
Cleave DPS - 1675
Heavy Strike DPS - 3559
Shield Charge DPS - 1140

Current Build (Level 66):
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAecCcQSzBS0UIBRNGS4ZhRoyGjgdFCSqJ-0otSkuLdIyCTboNuk6UjrYPfxAoE3YT31QR1BQUWBUSVWpVgRXDVhjWfNfP2BLYIhhUmaecql07XrvfLh82YBWgW-DOIZghymMdozPj0aQVZHOl7SePJ7Nn8uiAKcwp4SplayqrLq53bvtwBrG2NIh1I_ZYeHa42rnUuw47w7vTu988B_yL_Pd9kj60g==

Level 70 Build:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAecCcQSzBS0UIBRNFm8ZLhmFGjIaOB0UJKon7Si1KS4t0jIJNug26TpSOtg9_ECgTdhPfVBHUFBRYFRJValVxlYEVw1YY1nzXz9gS2CIYVJmnnKpdO1673y4fNmAVoFvgziGYIcpjHaMz49GkFWRzpe0njyezZ_LogCnMKeEqZWsqqy6ud277cAaxtjPZdDQ0iHUj9lh4drjaudS7DjvDu9O73zwH_Iv8932SPrS

Level 80 Build:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAecCcQSzBS0MfRB_EuEUIBRNFm8ZLhmFGjIaOB0UJKon7Si1KS4t0jIJNug26TpSOtg9_ECgTdhPfVBHUFBRYFRJValVxlYEVw1YY1nzXz9gS2CIYVJmnnKpdO1673y4fNmAVoFvgziGYIcpjHaMz49GkFWRzpe0njyezZ_LoLSiAKLqpwinMKeEqZWsqqy6uJO53bvtwBrGnsbYz2XQ0NIh1I_ZYeHa42rnUuw47w7vTu988B_yL_Pd9kj3vvrS-6o=

Skills:
-Aoe: Cleave + Faster Attacks + Melee Physical Damage - Added Fire Damage
-ST: Heavy Strike + Faster Attacks + Melee Physical Damage + Added Fire Damage
-Movement: Shield Charge + Melee Physical Damage
-Utility: Enduring Cry x2
-Curse: Enfeeble (One of the most important skills to get)
-Auras: Tempest Shield + Determination + Hatred + Reduced Mana (I replace Tempest Shield with Purity on maps that need the extra max resist, Overgrown Ruin)

Current Gear (All are very basic, non-expensive, and not that great....so easily attainable):
Helmet -
Spoiler

Chest -
Spoiler

Gloves -
Spoiler

Boots -
Spoiler

Axe -
Spoiler

Shield -
Spoiler

Rings -
Spoiler

Amulet -
Spoiler

Gear Optimization:
- The main mods to look for are Life, Armor, and Elemental resistance.
- Chaos resistance is nice to have, but do not gimp the above three to acquire it. I am currently trying to build up a decent set with some Chaos resistance.
- Mana and Life leech is important. I have 4% Life leech. I also have 2% Mana leech which is enough to maintain my skills (See gameplay strategies below) .
- Lioneye's Remourse would be the ideal shield to have for this build. I will eventually acquire this item, just need the funds.
- You want a high physical axe that has a good attack speed. Ensure you can handle the mana cost of your attack speed though. Arcane Efficiency is very powerful.

Gameplay Strategy:
- Maintain your Endurance Charges. This is one of the most important parts of gameplay. With the charges up, you become very tanky; without them you are running a risk.
- Enfeeble is also very important. I don't use it on every mob though, just the heavy hitters.
- Mana management is very important. You want to be able to cast your two Enduring Cries, enfeeble, and be able to constant cleave. Work your gear so your able to. This is very important.
- Ultimately, get your charges up and cleave the mobs, then heavy strike the champions. Easy

This is a no frills, non-flashy, inexpensive, non-item dependable, solid melee build. If you choose to use it, good luck and if you have any questions...ask.
Once more into the fray, Into the last good fight I'll ever know, Live and die on this day, Live and die on this day IGN: Mastodon_The_Primeval

Last edited by Primeval_Mastodon on Mar 10, 2013, 6:27:15 PM
Reserved
Once more into the fray, Into the last good fight I'll ever know, Live and die on this day, Live and die on this day IGN: Mastodon_The_Primeval

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info