Favorite/most memorable villain?

Any media goes.

My choice is Major from Hellsing. I find both 'good' and 'evil' rather fickle concepts, but Major is the closest to pure 'evil' out of any villains that I know about. He has no ambitions or goals, he just wants to go war against a worthy enemy. He even turns down practical immortality and the power that comes with it while dying, just because he considers it a "sell your soul to the devil" - type of deal. War incarnated, he needs no causes or strives for greater outcomes than winning the war he's waging.
Last bumped on Mar 19, 2019, 7:39:50 AM
Wilson Fisk from the Daredevil netflix series. Vincent D’Onofrio killed it!

Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
Apparently I'm a villain cuz I overthrew my walrus leader and took his place

muahahah
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Oh, so many great villains. Most memorable though?

Honourable mentions Jedi, Yoda in particular -

"
Once that ward (Luke Skywalker) became a Jedi himself, he developed the famous Jedi contempt for the common man. Like his mentor, as Skywalker became more of a Jedi, he became increasingly disloyal to the cause and comrades he once served.

This was most vividly illustrated when he jeopardized the operational security of the rebel raiding party on Endor, giving himself up and risking the entire mission—not to mention the lives of hundreds and the freedom of the galaxy—so he could pursue Jedi business. Ultimately, he found himself locked in a completely irrelevant battle within the Emperor’s throne room aboard the second Death Star. Whether he won or lost had no strategic significance to the battle, or the war. There was a gigantic fleet action underway, on which depended the freedom of every sentient being across a hundred million systems.

And, like a typical Jedi, Skywalker chose this moment to go AWOL from the most consequential struggle of his time. He had Jedi business to attend.

To fully understand the unreliable and narcissistic nature of the Jedi, imagine being at D-Day, and your battle buddy is the worst sort of self-centered millennial. At the moment of decision, you hit the beach in the greatest invasion in the history of mankind—but when you look over to find him, he’s gone. Later, you are reunited at the victory celebration and you ask him where he was, at that instant when absolutely everything good and true was on the line.

He shrugs. “Saw my dad.”
-Jonathan V. Last

from Reasons the Jedi are actually the bad guys in Star Wars

Yoda -

"
Absolutely. The apotheosis of Darth Vader was truly disgusting. Saving one demigod—a good demigod, his son—wiped away all his guilt from slaughtering billions of normal people. Those who say I am reaching too far should look up George Lucas’ infamous interview with The New York Times in which he openly and explicitly disdains democracy and declared that the best form of government is to have a “good despot.” I wrote about this in Salon, infuriating some fans but delighting others, by pointing out how that nasty little green oven mitt Yoda is pretty much, inarguably, the most evil figure ever in the history of any human mythology. I have defied folks to name one time when he says or does anything that is indisputably wise. The trail of destruction that follows him and every decision that he makes is inarguable and overwhelming.
- David Brin

from Yoda is dead but Star Wars' dubious lessons live on

"
"Another one of Yoda’s most memorable quotes has got to be his quip about fear and anger when talking to young Anakin in The Phantom Menace. When Anakin asks why the Jedi Council is inquiring after his emotions, Yoda responds, “Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate.”

That’s a swell thing to say to a traumatized child who misses his mother. Anakin’s been enslaved for all his young life, and even though he’s escaped from Tatooine, his mother Shmi is still there. Of course he’d be scared and even angry. Instead of addressing Anakin’s legitimate reactions, Yoda tells a little boy his feelings will make him a bad guy."
- REBECCA WEI HSIEH

from Star Wars Yoda biggest problems wrong fans ignore

more serious runner-ups
Sauruman, Raistlin Majere, Cersei Lannister, Annie Wilkes (Misery).

Runners - Up

Richard III

Ian McEllan as the unfairly but deliciously maligned monarch.

Just so good. Iago is also there, really, but the hunchback wins out.

and

THE JOKER Heath Ledger's Joker, of course. Nicholson went out and hit on women in bars in his costume, after shooting stopped for the day.

Winner

Hannibal Lecter.

See? I don't even need to explain.

Hopkins is the greatest, but Mads gives our favourite knife-sharp demented psychiatrist a red-hot shake too

Quite sure I'm missing a few, such a rich topic. I like villains that are two-dimensional and have strong, terrible motivations but that also keep their mystique. Maybe there's hope for redemption, but it's so difficult and against the grain of the narrative and the other players parts they just don't have a choice but to act as they do once the story takes off. I think that's why Hannibal is the winner; he is gleefully on the far side of crazy, memorable as all get-out, and never coming back.

Last edited by erdelyii on Mar 3, 2019, 5:16:30 AM
"
erdelyii wrote:

THE JOKER Heath Ledger's Joker, of course. Nicholson went out and hit on women in bars in his costume, after shooting stopped for the day.

Mark Hamill's Joker > Heath Ledger's Joker

:)
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
Melkor

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"Bondrewd the novel" from Made in Abyss.
If the Major from Hellsing is both "evil" and "war incarnated", then Bondrewd is "devoid of morality" and "Science and curiosity without restraint". He seeks one thing and one thing only: more knowledge. He went beyond anything that could be considered human (aside from his vessel at some points), became virtually immortal and close to invulnerable and gladly sacrifices anyone or anything to further his cause. He isn't particularly "evil" or cruel in the usual sense, he is just completely and utterly devoid of any kind of morality. Imagine him to be a less kindhearted and even more devoted-to-science Shou Tucker from fullmetal alchemist, with all the time and resources he could hope for.
The worst part? Even if you manage to "beat him", he lives on. And would most likely thank you for providing some valuabe data.

I found him to be disturbing to the utmost degree. Not (only) because of what he does, but because of why he does it. While not to the same degree, I feel like it's entirely possible for people like him to actually exist. That's what I found to be the most unsettling and memorable about his character.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
Kilgrave in Jessica Jones TV series. Any suggestion he made, people felt utterly compelled to follow it. He had a very interesting power for a super villain that I found entertaining.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
A certain King of Olde. One. Cruel. Pagan.
And it'd be great if I had a related joke, wouldn't it?
Ἀρχή Σοφίας ἡ τῶν ὀνομάτων ἐπίσκεψις -Ἀντισθένης ἁπλοκύων
Hannibal Lecter. Love him!
Censored.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info