X1X Internal HDD VS External SSD

Just got myself a Samsung T5 500 GB external SSD, and thought I would post some preliminary findings for those on the fence. I will try and update as I get more info and remember YMMV.

Ran 2 test for both sets of numbers. 1st test is a cold start from standby with the game closed completely. 2nd test is 5 mins after completely closing the game and just idling on dashboard.

HDD
Dash to splash with profile pic loaded- 30.94 sec & 28.53 sec
Char select to Oriath with potions loaded - 56.05 sec & 41.82 sec
Oriath to HO - 8.35 & 8.69
Oriath to Mine with potions loaded - 20.70 sec & 20.75 sec
Oriath to Beasts with potions loaded - 6.56 sec & 6.43 sec
Oriath to Asp Plaza with potions loaded - 9.31 sec & 9.56 sec

SSD
Dash to splash with profile pic loaded - 20.12 sec & 19.91 sec
Char select to Oriath with potions loaded - 16.98 sec & 16.45 sec (Look at that difference!)
Oriath to HO - 3.78 sec & 3.22 sec
Oriath to Mine with potions loaded - 9.12 sec & 8.8 sec
Oriath to Beasts with potions loaded - 2.75 sec & 2.78 sec
Oriath to Asp Plaza with potions loaded - 3.17 sec & 3.44 sec

This was all done on a hardwired Cat6 150Mbs+ connection with static IP and DMZ configuration. You can see that anything that really had to load took 1/3 of the time vs the normal internal HDD. The splash screen has an animated GGG logo that takes the same amount of time to run regardless, so the times weren't as far apart as other tests.

Have yet to actually play PoE on it yet, so I can't give any performance upgrade opinions yet. Hopefully I can tomorrow, and this is a good start.
Xbox Gamertag - Corrison
Mixer - https://mixer.com/Corrison
Last edited by Corrison on Jan 17, 2019, 9:51:16 PM
Last bumped on Jan 27, 2019, 11:46:37 PM
I love it.

Now repeat 500 times and get back to us .....
I now comment in Forums with my Xbox account:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/xbox/view-profile/walkjohn55
thank you for providing the amazing information you just gave us here!

those are some big differences btw!

x1x and ssd definitely on my shopping list now. lol
Only got to play for a bit yesterday. Was doing Blood Aqueduct syndicate farming, so nothing big. New instances took less than 3 sec to load into. I crashed 3 times to dashboard and 1 full console crash in about 1.5 hours. Each time I crashed I was loading into the act 8 town via portal. Not sure that had anything to do with the SSD, but need to test more. I have only had the console crash 2 times on this game ever since release, until this one. Full cosmetics minus auras, foot prints, and character effects.

Xbox Gamertag - Corrison
Last edited by Corrison on Jan 18, 2019, 10:18:36 AM
Unfortunately the games a little buggy, with all of the new content and changes. We’re all getting the same crashes.

OP good job on doing this test!
I'd be really interested in seeing a projection of how much time this might save you over hours/weeks/months/years of play...... and then comparing that to the amount of time you spent collecting this data ;)
"
governor451 wrote:
I'd be really interested in seeing a projection of how much time this might save you over hours/weeks/months/years of play...... and then comparing that to the amount of time you spent collecting this data ;)

He has already saved time buy just collecting this first round of data.

HDD

Round 1 Total of 2 minutes and 20sec

Round 2 Total of 2 minutes (rouned up from 1.929)

SSD

Round 1 Total of 55.92 secs

Round 2 Total of 54.60 secs.

He saved over a minute of loading time on both tests.

"
Jiff69 wrote:

OP good job on doing this test!

Thanks. I'd like to get more data tests for people if I can. I will just make a copy of the game data on both HDD and SSD so I don't have to move it back and forth.

What would be some more load tests you guys want to see?

P.S. May not be on PoE till next week since D3 S16 just hit.
Xbox Gamertag - Corrison
You know what? These so-called tests you are "performing" is just confusing. Lol.
I play on an S, not an X. I use an external SSD to run Path of Exile from.
Loading times from Internal disk was like 25-40 Secs. External SSD now, is like 5-10 Secs. Tops 15 in some areas.

Now, imagine you going back and forth from Battlefield to Town to Battlefield, like 17-25 times an hour. Now, imagine how many Seconds, Minutes and may even Hours you save, depending on what Disk you use.

So, there you have it. What more you need to know? Seriously. Yes, you save a lot. End of story. Now, go buy one. Lol.
"
Kundarin wrote:
Now, imagine how many Seconds, Minutes and may even Hours you save, depending on what Disk you use.

So, there you have it. What more you need to know? Seriously. Yes, you save a lot. End of story. Now, go buy one. Lol.

Exactly what I was going for. Some people just like to see numbers to help justify things.
Xbox Gamertag - Corrison

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info