What is a Sperg?

I hear Quin69 say that a lot like "I'd like to say I'm woke, but the truth is I'm a Sperg"
Last bumped on Jan 6, 2019, 12:12:11 PM
I don't like that definition from Urban Dictionary. Not because it's offensive, but because it's inaccurate to conflate etymology with definition. It would be like if someone defined "sinister" as "left-handed" — while etymologically valid, such a meaning is archaic at best and misleading at worst.

Sperg — which is indeed both a noun and a verb — means either to have a (typically nonviolent) freakout that lacks tact and grace in the eyes of the beholder, or be someone who does. Although the term invokes a sense of social awkwardness akin to that of (a stereotyped view of) Asperger syndrome, large numbers of people who use the term "sperg" — possibly a majority of them — are themselves unaware of the etymology of the term, so it's not safe to assume that users are referencing Asperger syndrome directly. It's also not that uncommon for internet commenters to accuse an entire community (e.g. a particular subreddit) of "sperging out," so it's important to note that the social awkwardness referenced is not necessarily socially awkward from the perspective of the labeled — it could even be socially acceptable or rewarded behavior within the context of such a subculture — although it is certainly awkward and should-be-embarassing from the perspective of the labeler.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info