3.5 - Inquisitor "Hot Ice" Winter Orb - 4 mil+ Shaper DPS (Who said winter orb damage was bad?)

THIS GUIDE CONTAINS A SECTION ABOUT HOW TO PLAY THIS BUILD ON LEAGUE. (this is a disclaimer for those immediately dismissing it as a standard build)

Omg hi! It's been such a long time since I have posted a build. Quite frankly I wasn't sure I was bringing anything worthwhile to the community given how formulaic and stale things have gotten over the last 2 years. However I've been wanting a nice cold skill and we've finally got one so here's my take on it. Cold. Fire. TOOOONS of damage.

Videos:

So instead of recording a bunch of videos, I just recorded a full uber elder run which should give you guys a good enough idea of how the build handles the end game.

4 Shaper guardians + 4 T16 Elder guardians + Deathless Uber Elder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKiW8WVCHKc

TL;DR Stats & Stuff
Spoiler
PoB/stats:
https://pastebin.com/45geg9k6
Winter Orb DPS (vs Shaper): 3.75 mil
Fire Burst DPS (vs Shaper): ~500k (Could be a bit more or a bit less. Depends on procs)
Attack Block: 10%
Attack Dodge: 40%
Spell Dodge: 30%
Life: 5.7k
40% of phys taken as cold
13% less phys & fire damage taken

Note: To calculate your winter orb DPS you multiply the DPS displayed in PoB by the amount of projectiles you have.

Skill Tree

Items:

Spoiler

*Disclaimer*
Before you say anything about these items, note that all rare items displayed above were self-crafted.

Everything is fairly self explanatory. One thing I will say is if you're on more of a budget, these options will also do:
- Replace lightpoacher with a helmet of your choice to fill out resists.
- My clarity helm enchant is something I lucked into and is just convenient, not a necessity. You can work on balancing your own mana costs.
- Belt can be literally any life/resist belt.
- Cooldown boots are because I really don't like how long the flame dash cooldown is. It's not necessary. Just nice QoL.
- Having "Ele as extra chaos" mods on amulet/wand are because I really REALLY tried hard to get em. You can get those if you're finishing out the build, but they're not needed.
- Bottom line necessity on your chest is life and spell crit. Followed by phys taken as ele, followed by +1 skill level. If you can't afford any of that stuff, get a Loreweave.
- Regarding legacy acuities/snakepit, if you're not on standard, see below for the section about playing this on league.

Jewels:

Since we're cold to fire, there are a lot of options for jewels. Try to get life and whatever resists you're missing and afterwards try to prioritize crit multiplier & spell damage.

Flasks:

1. Taste of hate for tankiness.
2. Life flask for uh-oh moments and bleed.
3. Shaper flask for the juicy projectiles.
4. Diamond flask for the sweet crit and anti-freeze.
5. Atziri Flask for damage. (this is completely replaceable if you want something different)

Gem Links:

Spoiler
Winter Orb
Winter Orb -> Elemental Focus -> Cold To Fire -> Concentrated Effect -> Added Cold -> Increased Critical Strikes

Replace Added Cold & Conc Effect by GMP & Inc AoE for mapping.
If you're in a map with porcupines, replace Ele Focus with Controlled Destruction.
Note: Slower Projectiles is slightly more DPS than Added Cold, but has a higher mana multiplier. If you're fine with mana use Slower Proj.

Fire Burst
Concentrated Effect -> Controlled Destruction -> Increased Critical Strikes

This is what applies ignites on bosses for the extra crit multi. That's why I'm deliberately using Ele Focus on Winter Orb.

Movement
Flame Dash -> Faster Casting -> Arcane Surge -> Increased Duration

Find the right level for your Arcane Surge so that every dash procs it.

Auras
Arctic Armor -> Anger -> Herald of Ash -> Enlighten
Enlighten -> Clarity

Vaal Righteous Fire
VRF -> Efficacy -> Increased Duration

Things to do if you want to play this build on league:

A lot of people are going to complain that this build is exclusive to standard. It isn't. The only real difference is the free projectile from snakepit and the instant leech. Here's what you gotta do for this build to work on league;

Spoiler
- Replace legacy snake pit with a shaper ring that has life gain on hit with spells.
- Replace legacy acuities with any glove of your choosing (My suggestion would be command of the pit so that you can remove the arcane surge from your flame dash and make room for gems for more CWDT fast hitting stuff).
- Replace the anger watcher's eye with vitality watcher's eye that has life gain on hit with spells (or if you manage to get around 2k energy shield for relatively free from your gear, run a 30 es gain on hit watcher's eye with discipline).
- Obviously the above change means switching Anger for either Vitality or Discipline.
- Make room for a CWDT + Ball lightning + GMP setup (all level 1). This is a great defense tool when you have tons of life gain on hit with spells.
- Replace added cold in the links with LMP or GMP.
- Whether you want to continue using Cold to Fire is up to you. This will determine whether Herald of Ash is of any use. If you decide to take out Cold to Fire, you can instead use Controlled Destruction, Slower Projectiles or Added Cold.
- Alternatively, you could say fuck all these changes and stick to non legacy acuities. Leech won't be instant, but it won't be bad either. If you need extra leech, you could replace the assassin's mark ring by a warlord's ring.

Conclusion:
Please let me know if I missed anything and I'll add it.
Please don't ask about a leveling guide. If you're making a build with this kind of cost, you gotta know how to get through acts 1-10 by now.
Crit Shockwave Totem 650k +: #1657327 / Crit VMS (1 mil DPS): #1511368 / Crit self-cast spark: #1565708
1.3 crit firestorm: #1280086 / 1.3 crit Ice Nova: #1219809 / Flame Nova (sire of shards incinerate): #1359847
Last edited by Simplesim45 on Jan 5, 2019, 7:04:32 PM
Last bumped on Mar 10, 2019, 4:28:40 PM
bump
Crit Shockwave Totem 650k +: #1657327 / Crit VMS (1 mil DPS): #1511368 / Crit self-cast spark: #1565708
1.3 crit firestorm: #1280086 / 1.3 crit Ice Nova: #1219809 / Flame Nova (sire of shards incinerate): #1359847
This looks interesting, might try this as my next build since i'm pretty bored.
"
This looks interesting, might try this as my next build since i'm pretty bored.

Let me know if you need any help.
hi!

I had a level 87 Inquisitor with a full respec so I decided to try this out as well as I could with the tree and gearing (with what I had).

I can't get Anger, Herald of Ash, Artic Armor, and Clarity all running at the same time. I have a lvl 2 enlighten in my helm with it also. I even got a helm that is 30% reduced clarity mana reservation.

I got 1651 mana / 3632 health
"
hi!

I had a level 87 Inquisitor with a full respec so I decided to try this out as well as I could with the tree and gearing (with what I had).

I can't get Anger, Herald of Ash, Artic Armor, and Clarity all running at the same time. I have a lvl 2 enlighten in my helm with it also. I even got a helm that is 30% reduced clarity mana reservation.

I got 1651 mana / 3632 health

You need a level 4 enlighten to run all those auras. You can play the build without arctic armour for now until you get one.

You should definitely be getting a lot more health tho.
okay thank you!

I wanted to add that I'm still leveling some of my gems and its already pretty darn effective! :) cheers!
Hey I saw your build on youtube and i wanted to play it. It doesent matter for me if you had legacy items i just started and made my own setup. At the moment the char is lvl 96 and i managed to kill every boss with this build even uber elder at my secound attempt, because it was the first time for me. If you´re interested what i changed my account is open. I dont have to swap any gems for any bosses for harder encounters i just swap herald of ash for aspect of the avian for the double damage, it feels a bit smoother for me. Charname is Pumigloryspeed.

Nice build nice work!
Last edited by Desarotion on Jan 10, 2019, 12:51:08 AM
"
Desarotion wrote:
Hey I saw your build on youtube and i wanted to play it. It doesent matter for me if you had legacy items i just started and made my own setup. At the moment the char is lvl 96 and i managed to kill every boss with this build even uber elder at my secound attempt, because it was the first time for me. If you´re interested what i changed my account is open. I dont have to swap any gems for any bosses for harder encounters i just swap herald of ash for aspect of the avian for the double damage, it feels a bit smoother for me. Charname is Pumigloryspeed.

Nice build nice work!

Glad someone could confirm the build works just fine without legacy items.

However you made a nice fire burst dagger (good job on that) that has innate crit strikes, yet you socketed a crit strike gem regardless :P

You should replace that with added cold or something.

I would say The Blue Dream jewel is really unnecessary in your case. Same goes for the extra power charge on your tree. And I would also replace your Enthralling Orb searching eye jewel on the tree with a 3-4 mod normal jewel. Ancient Sight as well. The abyss jewels in your items could probably use a change as well.

I really like your belt.

Hope you're enjoying the build!
At the moment i´m enjoying the build as my bosskiller.

I socketed inc crit strikes because of the implicit "socketed gems are supported" i wasnt sure if this work with fire burst :/ but i guess i got already enough crit chance :D.

I replace the gems step by step i crafted the most of them by my self. I used the "Blue Dream" at the start of the build and never changed it back:D.

I´m not the only one who enjoy the build one of my friends playing the build aswell just with a loreweave:D

The last update i made was a Talisman with 60% crit multi wich is pretty awesome. Was really lucky with the syndicates :D

Another change wich i made was the warlords mark on hit ring and the power charge on crit with orb of storms in my helmet. It helps a lot in league when you cant get the legacy items :D
Last edited by Desarotion on Jan 10, 2019, 6:30:04 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info