Please do not post suggestions regarding the loot system.

Hi guys. So, it's pretty clear that the loot system is considered an issue. Unfortunately, we have had so many threads saying the same thing that we have a real flood situation going on.

Allow me to reassure you all that GGG has heard the feedback and are deliberating on ways to try to keep everyone happy with the loot options.

If this were a case of EVERYONE complaining, it'd be much simpler. But we've seen arguments from both sides of the fence, so really, the argument is beyond our hands. It's up to GGG now.

Brian Weissman's stance as stated on Reddit
http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/17i5sp/i_never_had_a_problem_with_the_drop_system_until/c85zgvv

Hey guys, just wanted to throw in my feedback on this issue. We're well aware there there are a lot of different opinions about contested loot in POE, and while we're pretty happy with the current implementation, it is far from set in stone.

Fundamentally, POE is a game about tough choices, about making your way in a harsh world with few initial resources. This is a theme that runs through the whole game, from the starting areas, to the cryptic early NPCs, to the lack of respecs, and the quickly ramping difficulty. Having quasi-FFA loot definitely falls right in line with the general cutthroat, competitive aesthetic of Wraeclast.

However, we pay a lot of attention to feedback, and we absolutely recognize that the current system is pretty brutal on some players, especially new players, or those with slower connections of computers. I know exactly how it feels to have loot snagged out from under your nose, having played Diablo 2 for many many years. It's a frustrating experience that often makes you question why you're even playing in the first place.

Conversely, in a good group that has some basic "gentleman's rules", the current FFA-timer implementation VASTLY speeds up the pace of game play. We've tinkered around with a lot of different loot timers, and we've found that when we extend them, even by a little bit, the pace of the game drags considerably. You want to just be moving along all the time, going from pack to pack, blowing stuff up. The last thing you want to be doing is standing around every time some stuff dies, waiting for all your little bars to decay.

When everyone agrees to play by a fundamental set of rules, be they real "FFA" or "leave stuff alone that's not yours", the loot tends to average out pretty well anyway. Groups can also verbally punish or shame a player who appears to be abusing the drop system, and you do decide who you party with.

Ultimately, we believe that having an FFA-based system is good for the general health of the game. When you play in a group with completely player-bound, invisible-to-others loot like Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2, you really get the feeling that you're playing in a bubble. The other players with you might as well be bots, and there is little shared or vicarious joy in lucky stuff that drops. That's something we're definitely trying to avoid.

POE has proven to be extremely popular since our Open Beta release, far popular than we could have expected, and so we're obviously catering to a pretty wide audience. A certain portion of that audience is put off by the cutthroat nature of loot distribution in the game, and we're not deaf to those concerns. This is an issue that is going to be going through a lot of internal discussion in the weeks and months ahead.

Thanks for the understanding and for the great feedback. I really appreciate all the time people have taken to post here, as well as their passion for the game![/quote]

As such, we're going to instantly lock any new 'loot system' based threads for the time being. They're cluttering the forum and causing otherwise original and helpful suggestions to be pushed out of sight.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/392, since it was made by Chris himself, is going to remain open although I won't be linking people to it. The conversation, for now, is closed to new entries via new threads.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/268683 -- Please use this official thread to give any feedback regarding the loot system changes of 0.10.3c. Chris Wilson will be reading that thread.

Cheers.
Predecessor! Paragon is BACK.
Finished Dragons Dogma 2 at 327 hours, 9 playthroughs. Loved every minute.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
Last edited by Michael_GGG on Jun 27, 2013, 2:42:32 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info