KOFFE's Winter Orb Speed Farmer & Shaper decimator [3.5] (Elementalist or Occultist)

Oh, hi there!

Figured I share my starter build to you guys.
I started as an Elementalist and began using Winter Orb around lv 40, put on my running shoes in-game, ran all the way to Shaper and, well... ran over him. My uniques at that time was Wise Oak, Atziri's Promise, Devoto's, Pandemonius and Hyperboreus.

There are so many variations to this build and you can chose to freeze more, go more tanky, crit, non-crit, more cast speed, more duration - whatever you like. I'm sure whatever setup will work. But keep in mind that more projectiles and more cast speed = more damage!

I've tried to write a guide, but there's so many routes you can go and options for this build that it makes it hard for me to fully explain everything for a newer player. I hope you will gain some knowledge from this guide. Just don't look at my jewels, they are really bad.

Feel free to join my stream and ask about my builds at twitch.tv/KQFFE.

My elementalist was really fast and comfortable as a mapper and a bosser - chilling everything, freezing most bosses.

LEVLLELING, league starter
Spoiler

https://pastebin.com/Z3HqD1bV
Progression trees in lower-left area in PoB - You can chose from first to fifth version of the tree. First is for levelling to ~lv 38, second to around lv 50 etc.

UPDATE!
Current tree and gear at level 94[/b] (more survivability for levelling to 100)
Spoiler

https://pastebin.com/SCXsP1gy
Running one curse (Frostbite) with Blasphemy
Arctic Armour
Herald of Ice with Onslaught attached
Mind Over Matter. 5.5k life and 1000 unreserved mana wearing Devoto's.

Also trying to craft Cast While Channeling on an iLv 85 shaped Eclipse Staff with good spell- and cold mods to try out Winter Orb with skills like Freezing Pulse/Ice Spear. Gonna be fun!

Elementalist tree for first Shaper kill

Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/gudc3ZYk
I try to spec as much cold/freeze/chill effect as possible. Didn't seem to be worth it, so I specced out of Fingers of Frost after the fight.

Footage of my first shaper kill is ~1 hour into this VOD.
Spoiler
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/348072193
Sorry for the "thumping" sound, didn't realize my keyboard made that sound. Should now be fixed ;)

The only problem for me was the framerate, and since Occultist has been shown some cold love I figured that my second build could be like my first - only another ascendancy.

Occultist version
Spoiler

Occultist tree and gear at lv 89:

Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/tgRZPqRb
This tree and character has about half the damage as the Elementalist, but more smooth and less laggy mapping. I will experiment going non-crit and spec some more life.

Non-crit Occultist at level 91:
Spoiler

https://pastebin.com/Gq2vs6sA

Taken down t12 Elder and min-max Hydra with 40% more life.
This is not an endgame killer as of now, more a comfortable mapper.

More options for flasks here, since you don't need a freeze flask nor a Diamond.

Mapping as an Occultist, tier 10 Leyline:

Gear at level 90 Elementalist (pure mapping and speed farming setup):
Spoiler

Notice the Incursion mod on the gloves "#%Inceased damage against chilled enemies".

Single target setup (3G3B):

Winter Orb - GMP - Hypothermia - Added Cold/Cold Penetration - Bonechill - Increased Critical Strikes.

The single target setup is very dependant on your build and gear.
I've also experimented with using Concentraded Effect, Controlled Destruction, Efficacy and tehy all seemed good.

Levelling:
Spoiler

Lv 1: Freezing Pulse or Magma Orb
Lv 12: Arc
Rush Elemental Overload (Spec out of this when you've allocated the crit nodes)
Lv 30 welfare OPTION: Twyzel w Winter Orb and LMP and another support (concentrated effect, faster casting, increased crit, added cold).
Lv 38+: Now we can use Greater Multiple Projectiles with Winter Orb.
Each projectile from Winter Orb has an AOE-explosion, and these can overlap. GMP = More explosions = More possible damage - single target and clear. You probably won't use a Twyzel, because now we've entered 4L territory of drops.

FYI, I ran Storm Prison wand from lv 12-79 and a shield.
Also did t10 Belfry without weapon nor shield equipped and it was a really easy run. All for science.

What ever 5 and 6L you chose is up to your preference.
Maybe you want more duration so you have to spam less, or maybe more damage.

Gem setups (crit)
Spoiler

My single target setup for first Shaper kill:
Winter Orb - Hypothermia - Bonechill - Increased Critical Strikes - Cold Penetration - GMP.

Mapping:
Winter Orb - Hypothermia - Bonechill - GMP - Efficacy - Ice Bite (for frenzy charges, which increases duration of Phase Run)

Speed farm mapping:
Winter Orb - Hypothermia - Ice Bite - Increased Duration - Efficacy - GMP

For "single target", swap Onslaught linked with Herald of Ice to Culling Strike.

GEARING
Spoiler

Weapon:
* Dagger with Crit implicit
* Mace with Elemental damage implicit
* Sceptre with Damage Penetrates % Elemental Resistances

Best possible base is a shaped item level 85 one. ( can roll Gain #% of Elemental Damage as Extra Chaos Damage )

Look for:
Spell damage
Cold damage %
Cold damage to spells
Crit chance for spells
Global critical strike multiplier
Gain #% phys as Extra cold damage
Damage penetrates #% resistances

Quality of Life
#% of cold damage leeched as life
As high attack speed as possible (at least 1.7 is allright), this is only necessary if you are using a movement skill such as Whirling Blades or Shield Charge for a more smooth and fast clearing / dodging.

Gloves:
Suffix mod of "Puhuarte": 30-50% increased damage against chilled enemies
Life
Resists

You can get gloves supported by Faster Casting and/or Slower Projectiles (Shaper) and run your Winter Orb in those. A good addition to those would be the mod "Socketed spells have #% increased Critical strike multiplier"

You can also get gloves supported different skills (Elder),
and run your Winter Orb in those. Mods:
Faster Attacks
Increased attack and cast speed
Socketed spells have #% increased Critical strike multiplier
Socketed gems are supported by level # faster projectiles

Fenumus' Weave are awesome both defensive and offensive.

Boots:
Resists
Life
Spell dodge
For two or more curses: Windscream or the upgraded version Windshriek

Belt:
for single target
for clear
Resists
Life
Cooldown Recovery ( for focus skill/s)

Amulet
Awesome for single target. I only use this for red tier elder or higher. My reservations for endgame content are Blasphemy with Frostbite, Herald of Ice and Arctic Armour.
100% reduced temp chains curse reservation, if you want to use 2 or more curses
100% reduced frostbite curse reservation, if you want to use 2 or more curses

Rare:
Resists
Life
Global critical strike multiplier
Spell damage
Cold damage
#% Cold damage leeched as life
Gain #% phys as extra... (insert element/chaos)

Rings:
this is one slot and an Elder ring in the other is a convienient yet expensive source of damage.
Im using this shit ring in my other slot. Unset ring just because I wanted to fit one more skill somewhere. (Frost bomb / Vaal Righteous Fire / Flame Dash / Lightning Golem / Arctic Armour)

Helm:
BiS for fastest possible clear. This, combines with Phase Run is a blast. Chaos res is also preferable this league. And dexterity is something you want a lot of on one piece of gear, or spread across several items.

Starkonja's is a nice helm with lots of life and dexterity. This helm enchant was a bit pricy, but gives you higher frequency of shooting projectiles = More damage.

You can also get a helm with supported by Innervate or Conc effect/Area and run Winter Orb in there and run a Kaom's chest or other extra damage setup in chest.

To consider:
Spoiler

You DO NOT need an unique amulet!
For reduced mana reservation Solstice Vigil (temp chains) or Imprescence cold variant (frost bite) are nice with their 100% reduced corresponding reservations.
For damage The Pandemonius is nice.

If you want to run two curses on a smaller budget Windshriek or Windscream is excellent options! That is only if you don't want to grab Whispers of Doom in your tree (apply one additional curse).

Fenumus Weave - reduces action speed of monsters and increases damage. Tried those, worked as a charm.
+2 maximum stages helm enchant. I've tried this on a Starkonja, felt nice but not at all necessary.

When mapping an Increased Duration-gem is really nice in your setup. Easy gem swap if you have an Empower laying around.

Gloves with projectile supports. You can get your hands on (badum-tisch) a pair of pseudo-6L gloves and socket your Winter Orb setup there. Frees up the chest for other options - even a Kaom's for more life.

Can play as CI or low-life

Inquisitor would probably be quite nasty

Profane Wands with ultra cast speed is really nice

Dual wield Void Batteries (expensive though).

Thank you for your time and good luck

twitch.tv/KQFFE
Last edited by thatKoffe on Jan 1, 2019, 8:55:40 AM
Last bumped on Dec 25, 2018, 1:02:01 PM
Faster Casting over Efficacy will feel loads better for mapping
"
Completed 16 ChallengesSubxeno wrote:
Faster Casting over Efficacy will feel loads better for mapping

I'm not running either, and it feels great. You can sort of run whatever gem you like.
If you have really lousy cast speed, then I too would link with Faster Casting.
twitch.tv/KQFFE
Thanks for the guide. I'm really exploding almost everything on maps

The thing is, I'm dying to much.

Here's my gear
Spoiler

Whats the next step for the build? I'm think using an Carcass Jack or Inpulsa.

And the other gear, what should I get to roll T15 without a sweat?

"
Completed 16 Challengestonand wrote:
Thanks for the guide. I'm really exploding almost everything on maps

The thing is, I'm dying to much.

Whats the next step for the build? I'm think using an Carcass Jack or Inpulsa.

And the other gear, what should I get to roll T15 without a sweat?

You've socketed two curses with blasphemy, but I can't see anywhere on your gear nor tree that you have +1 curse (by default you can only apply 1 curse to an enemy). Mind that, so you aren't reserving mana that you won't profit from.

For survival:

* Make sure you're resists are 75%, atm you aren't capped on Fire and Lightning.
* Pick more life on tree. You're only at 3k life and just gotten to maps. Good enough for t1-5 maps and you have yet plenty of levels to get.
* Get a chest with defense and life.
- worth checking out:
* Have a flask with curse immunity mod. (side note, every flask can have a prefix and a suffix, just slam an Augmentation Orb onto the one's that only has 1 mod).
* Do you need the mana flask? You shouldn't need to stop and channel Winter Orb at every other pack.
* Consider speccing all the way down to Phase Acrobatics over some damage if you die too much at level ~90.

* Movement speed on boots will make this build feel waaaay better. It's one of two reasons I'm suggesting Devoto's Devotion for the helm slot (also dexterity).

- You aren't following through on your node choices on the tree.
- You are really close to several jewel sockets, but you're not allocating them
- You haven't allocated Throat Seeker, which is huge.
- You haven't allocated Quick Recovery
- You've picked a couple 5% life nodes over the 6% one's.
- For 3 (THREE!) points you get 15% life and 5% all resists from Cruel Preparation
- Breath of Rime is not that good, I've chosen it only for the lulz and be able to freeze bosses and such.

this would be my tree if I were at you're level:
https://pastebin.com/ssgrJ1AQ

Capped all your resists and increased your life to 3.6k without changing any gear.

Good luck!
twitch.tv/KQFFE
Last edited by thatKoffe on Dec 20, 2018, 7:56:46 PM
I manage to kill Red Elder T12 (2x), but dying 2~4 times each.

Here's my new budget gear (belt and gem is for boss)

Spoiler

Don't know what I'm going after right now, I feel like I need more damage and sustain in bosses, maybe pandemonium?

I think I'll try Uber Elder when I get to 90~, but maybe changing something in tree?

Thanks for the help, sweet build, mapping feels good any tier
Last edited by tonand on Dec 22, 2018, 8:36:55 PM
Slowly leveling and so far it`s going great. gear is ok, but not very good.
( not sure if my char can be viewed, if it can, name is: Digital_Bleed )
my tooltip is 3.9k to 4.4k, because of pendulum of destruction. that is without frenzy and power charges.

had a few questions, mainly, why do you take shaper of desolation and beacon of ruin? i mean, build has good crit and decent chance to freeze from tree, so, i think these are only for clear speed with ailment spread, right?

i think liege of primordial and paragon of calamity would be a better option. especially if gear isn`t that great. we get a bit of leech from elemental damage which could help with syndicate fights, only times i die at the moment. and we can summon 2 golems, which would mean 40% increased damage, and with lightning golem, we`d get more than double cast and attack speed.

also, not sure about how the math is done for this, but, if you`d have take x% of physical damage as cold damage on some gear, wouldn`t that proc the paragon of calamity? since we`d get hit by cold damage, we`d get 40% increased cold damage. just wondering.

level 77 now with 5.1k life, about to do merc lab, so that`s why i wanted to ask this about the ascendancy points. waiting on lvl 80 to equip a double elemental damage opal ring for a nice dps boost.

p.s. had to get a shaper ring with 3 mana gained for each enemy hit by spells, otherwise i had huge mana problems in sustaining winter orb.

p.p.s. if you do take a look at my gear, i`d love to hear your thoughts on which upgrades i should look into first. ( agony grasp ring will be changed to opal ring when i hit lvl 80! )
"
Completed 11 ChallengesTomTheBloody wrote:
why do you take shaper of desolation and beacon of ruin?

For clear speed and chance to inflict ailments.

"

i think liege of primordial and paragon of calamity would be a better option. especially if gear isn`t that great. we get a bit of leech from elemental damage which could help with syndicate fights, only times i die at the moment. and we can summon 2 golems, which would mean 40% increased damage, and with lightning golem, we`d get more than double cast and attack speed.

You can also get leech on boots form the lab and leech on jewellery.
You just spec whatever you feel like, this build is really versatile and open for changes. I'm even experimenting more at this moment.

"
also, not sure about how the math is done for this, but, if you`d have take x% of physical damage as cold damage on some gear, wouldn`t that proc the paragon of calamity?

Winter Orb only deals cold damage, so no.

"
had to get a shaper ring with 3 mana gained for each enemy hit by spells, otherwise i had huge mana problems in sustaining winter orb.

Try clarity or allocate more mana regen nodes on tree/mana regen on gear

twitch.tv/KQFFE
"
Completed 16 Challengestonand wrote:
I manage to kill Red Elder T12 (2x), but dying 2~4 times each.

Don't know what I'm going after right now, I feel like I need more damage and sustain in bosses, maybe pandemonium?

I think I'll try Uber Elder when I get to 90~, but maybe changing something in tree?

Thanks for the help, sweet build, mapping feels good any tier

Elder can be a hit or miss. It's because of the mechanics of Winter Orb - You cannot target what you want, the skill targets whatever it feels like.
So you gotta become one with it and learn to position. Even then it can be tough to faceroll, but it will happen most of the times when geared and levelled properly.

* If I were you, I would probably change helm to something like Starkonja.
* I would get rid of Whispers of Doom and spec life, if you're not wearing an item that enables 1 more curse or either Solstice Vigil or Imprescence for Frostbite.
* Really good uniques for damage are Pandemonious Amulet and Dying Sun Flask
* Try to get leech on boots
* For Uber Elder, Wise Oak would be nice if cold is your lowest res for more damage reduction.
* I'm running MoM now with only Frostbite as curse of choice, consider trying it out at least.
twitch.tv/KQFFE
Last edited by thatKoffe on Dec 23, 2018, 10:51:46 PM
You dont use any +1 curse on your gear, but didnt take the skill tree point for +1 curse either. How are you using 2 curses with blasphemy then? I dont get it. Also how do you build up power chargees? Thanks in advance
Last edited by Gromscream1 on Dec 25, 2018, 8:36:57 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info