Help me understand Avatar of Fire

Greetings,

It says convert 50% of physical, cold, lightning... damage to fire damage but can only do fire damage. How can it be good then and improve the DPS? Even if you have a 100% conversion item to fire, the damage can only be 100% fire. I know I am missing something..but what?

Thank you
P.S.: I forgot to mention it is a Consecrated Path build.
Last edited by kestak on Dec 12, 2018, 8:33:38 AM
Last bumped on Dec 12, 2018, 12:09:57 PM
It is only good when paired with something else that converts the other 50% into fire as well. You need to be able to convert 100% damage to fire for it to be useful, otherwise it is literally a 50% reduction in DPS by itself. Once that is done, then you have new options available for scaling your damage.
It is important to note, that in PoE you can scale both the damagetype you are converting from as well as the damagetype you are converting into. Hence once you convert 100% of your damage into fire, nothing will be lost. Every % physical damage node and every % firedamage node on the tree will scale the damage equally well. And the same is true for support gems: E.g. Melee physical damage and Elemental Focus will work both to full effect with ConsecPath + AoF. (50% fireconversion from the skillgem itself, 50% from AoF = 100% conversion.) On top of that you get better scaling out of firepen/fireresreduction and % of phys damage gained as fire damage mods.

For more details i recommend the wiki:

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Damage_conversion
dedadadadedoodoodoo is all i want to say to you
Last edited by tweedledee111 on Dec 12, 2018, 9:34:10 AM
its additive 50% from AoF 50% from concpath = 100% conversion

you can now run things like elemental weakness, flammability, fire pen, and elemental supports
Thank you all for your answers!!!

So, if I use a second weapon in the off hand, and there is physical as extra fire or extra physical dmg, will it work with Avatar of fire?

Thank you

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info