Any Hope for an OLED friendly HUD?

Hello GGG,

OLED's are fantastic TVs.
Some are also great for Gaming because of the low Inputlag. "Burnin" is actually not an issue anymore, if you vary your Content a little bit.

A lot of Game HUDs are not a Problem because they are not very bright and rather small.

Unfortunately, red and blue sub-pixels degrade fastest on an OLED TV.

The red/blue bright POE HUD is absolutely destroying OLEDs in the long run. Its just a matter of time.

How about giving us the Option to switch it off or at least to change the Opacity?

That way we could enjoy POE on an OLED TV without worrying about burn in.

Greetings
Last bumped on May 25, 2023, 2:43:25 PM
And here - me playing not even on fullHD TV... I need a job :(
simple solution, don't use tv's that burn images into them..

whether it's gaming,watching tv or streaming (because there always is a still image in these 3)

OLED is really only good for watching high quality movies that never use graphics that stay in 1 spot

IMO you should have done some research before buying a HD tv.

the image burn can happen as fast as 5 minutes so dont use it for gaming!

and the low input lag OLED gives you is really only good for fps shooters when it comes to gaming, but again.. lots of still images/graphics that will burn into your screen.

my suggestion would be to sell your OLED and buy the right TV if it's meant for mostly gaming.

sorry if this doesn't help you, but GGG won't be able to fix this since it's not their problem to fix.
Last edited by graass on Jan 10, 2019, 4:24:16 AM
your life and mana bars are a little too much ggg, let console players at least change opacity.

@graass
wow, oleds are no gamer and burn in 5 minutes.

you must be the king of doing research.

Well 5 minutes may be hyperbole, but what reading I have done sure seems to indicate a great deal of "smoke" regarding burn in on OLED screens (often buried under "there should be no issues if something doesn't sit in one spot ..." - well duh?)

My current screen is a dinosaur - 100lbs of made in Japan Plasma glass that is tough as nails and built to last (I fear that I will never see it's like again). But I can see outlines of the health Globe, Mana bar, and some icons. I assume that a little screen snow will set it right, but if POE can scratch my beast, then I imagine that it would easily wound a rather dainty OLED.

(I also fear lugging the beast to the Electronic Waste Depot when it eventually passes on ....)
I now comment in Forums with my Xbox account:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/xbox/view-profile/walkjohn55
"
Well 5 minutes may be hyperbole, but what reading I have done sure seems to indicate a great deal of "smoke" regarding burn in on OLED screens (often buried under "there should be no issues if something doesn't sit in one spot ..." - well duh?)

My current screen is a dinosaur - 100lbs of made in Japan Plasma glass that is tough as nails and built to last (I fear that I will never see it's like again). But I can see outlines of the health Globe, Mana bar, and some icons. I assume that a little screen snow will set it right, but if POE can scratch my beast, then I imagine that it would easily wound a rather dainty OLED.

(I also fear lugging the beast to the Electronic Waste Depot when it eventually passes on ....)

actually there is no smoke regarding oled burn in anymore.
(rtings.com / oled one year burn in test)

yes, if you annoy the shit out of your oled with just watching cnn (red bright problematic hud) for like a thousand hours, there will be burn in.

ggg could easaly make oled owners more happy with giving some hud options.

p.s.: please dont compare oled with plasma tvs.
(complete different technologie and stuff -.-)
Don't expect that. People ask for much smaller QoL things and are ignored all the time, especially on Xbox section.
"
Jennehwein wrote:

actually there is no smoke regarding oled burn in anymore.
(rtings.com / oled one year burn in test)

yes, if you annoy the shit out of your oled with just watching cnn (red bright problematic hud) for like a thousand hours, there will be burn in.

ggg could easaly make oled owners more happy with giving some hud options.

p.s.: please dont compare oled with plasma tvs.
(complete different technologie and stuff -.-)

If you mean do not mix up temporary image retention with permanent image retention, fair point. But one can be concerned that temporary image retention will ultimately lead to permanent image retention (the degree depending on the tech).

By "smoke", I meant talk of OLED issues - and a quick google of "OLED burn in" seemed to me to reveal plenty of smoke still out there.

To continue the analogy, "fire" would be actual reported damage which apparently is not epidemic. Back to the topic, I suspect that making OLED owners happy is not high on GGG's priority list - so if one is planning on a lot of Console POE in the future, perhaps they should take it into consideration if they are acquiring a new TV. It's far from right/fair/ideal, but it is practical.

And if "tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test" was the article in question, I came away with a different conclusion than you seem to have (again, fair enough - I would describe the article as supportive of a broad spectrum of concern or not).

I now comment in Forums with my Xbox account:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/xbox/view-profile/walkjohn55
I can confirm that burn-in is real with OLED. I've had a LG 55" OLED for about 2.5 years and 7100 hours on POE and there is definitely artifacts like a health globe, flasks, etc. I am ok with it cause I anticipated that it would happen.

Does anyone recommend an immersive gaming TV like OLED without the burn-in? Before my OLED I tried them all and OLED is the best but burn in is real.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info