Just how much dps is actually necessary?

So I recently decided to sacrifice some dps in favor of hp since I am trying hard to reach max level and getting close enough now where a death sets me back days. I run pure phys cyclone and was sitting at roughly 100k dps unbuffed before the respec. I am now down to about 80k dps but have gained over 1k hp in the process.

Here is where I was surprised. I don't actually notice a difference in dps at all! All white mobs still die in one pass and rares/blues take a few rounds of clone to take down. There doesn't actually appear to be much difference between 80k dps and 100k dps. I am chaining all t15s so there isn't a difference in mob hp to explain this.

So just how much dps is actually necessary? If I had any other life nodes worth reaching for I'd drop even more dps to find out!

~Dragon
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
Last bumped on Oct 25, 2018, 2:34:17 AM
If all you do is killing trash mobs you don't need that much DPS at all. It only factors into 2 things - bosses and delve. Since you are not doing delve consider whether you want to be able to kill guardians/shaper/elder quickly.
you'll do fine with 50-80k dps on majority of content. you will see the struggle vs some bosses and certain rares with just that though
Since you're probably skipping bosses, even less DPS, say 60k unbuffed tooltip, will be fine to kill trash in t15 maps. Abyssal rares or Beach bosses will be tough though but I suppose you don't go near those either... and the best luck in your endeavour, man. ;)
"
tomay wrote:
Since you're probably skipping bosses, even less DPS, say 60k unbuffed tooltip, will be fine to kill trash in t15 maps. Abyssal rares or Beach bosses will be tough though but I suppose you don't go near those either... and the best luck in your endeavour, man. ;)

I hate skipping bosses.... but I hate dying even more. So yeah, I skip any boss that has a 1 shot mechanic that might kill me in a moment of derpiness. Everything else I fight. Abyss, breach, exiles. Honestly, I can't wait to reach 100 just so I can drop some HP and gain dps and not worry about the exp loss from a once in awhile wtf just happened death. Until I reach max level though, it's all about that HP!
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
ya i may end up doing this myself. i'll die ever once in a long while, like i think i've died one time at lvl 97 but that does set you back so much its crazy.

very close to lvl 98 now and since i am going to keep on playing i'll probably eventually get to 99 then maybe even to 100 finally. so taking out all deaths is basically crucial at that point.
My god that's a defensive build. I mean, almost any boss in the game can be done with 100k DPS if you can survive long enough. Even shaper is possible on 100k dps if you're careful with the void anomaly placement. Uber Elder is the one where you'll need considerably more.

If all you care about it is leveling then whatever dps lets you roll through T15/T16 maps at the speed you want is fine. Personally if I was farming at those levels I would be striving for 200-300k with more offensive auras but it's personal preference.
After I finish leveling, I will be respecing for more dps. I just hate losing exp so that is why I went full defensive for now. After 100, I plan to farm the harder stuff casually as deaths won't matter nearly as much. For now, this is what it takes to get there. My level 100 POB plan is rocking about 260k buffed and still nearly 8k hp. That is about as much dps as I can push from a 1h pure physical build.
DISCLAIMER!
With the way damage is calculated these days, all sorts of temporary or situational buffs skyrocketing your tooltip, it's hard to give a precise answer to this question.

Also there's a balance to be found. You want to be as tanky as possible, but sometimes it is more important that some monsters just disappear as soon as they spawn. Don't really want to engage in longer fights with some rare combinations (even when skipping map bosses): some beyond bosses, ghosted or multiple essence rares with already annoying mods, Delve rares etc.

My Jugg this league has around 150k tooltip (read as 300k), jumping up to 1 million in PoB when I hit flasks etc. He has hit a wall in Delve 250 and in the "protect shaper" phase of red Elder. He just doesn't kill fast enough anymore to deal with rares in Delves, and while being naturally tanky, he is not tanky enough to survive everything thrown at him. Normal monsters, all normal bosses are fine. Even guardians are alright.
But there are too many situations where I would rather one-shoot stuff than deal with it, and in these situations I would rather have my paper-thin assassin from last league.

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Interesting... I play a close to max block build so really only two things can kill me. A hit that takes my entire health pool, or degens that I don't flask off. I don't worry about how long it takes me to kill something currently since it really doesn't hurt me in any way other than, well time. But a death costs me a million times more time than a few extra seconds per rare.

I have been playing with lowered dps now for a couple days and I actually like it. According to POB the highest tooltip dps I will ever be able to achieve with my build is around 260k (but since it is cyclone that will actually be half a million), so there is just no chance of me killing the hard stuff before it can hit me.

I have a mf char that deletes bosses rather quickly but dies to any hit. I hate that playstyle immensely. If I could get her to 100 I wouldn't care at all, but it is just the thought of losing days of chaining maps per death that makes me cringe!

This is all just my preference of course. I just thought it kind of interesting to see a thread about lowering dps lol. That seems to be against the poe religion right now.

But hey, it's all about what we find fun right? Reaching 100 and then respecing for a less tanky version of my build is currently what motivates me to play. Each time I have died after level 95 I have felt like I was wasting my time. When you are an adult, the LAST thing you want to feel while playing a game is that you're wasting your time. Because that just means everyone who tells you playing games is a waste of time is right.
DISCLAIMER!
Last edited by Dragon585 on Oct 25, 2018, 4:43:16 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info