Noob player trying to kill bosses

Hi guys,

Spoiler
(I really don't know if I'm writing in the right section)

I played POE a lot but I'm auto declaring noob. I'm constantly trying to read guides to get more information and learn all the thing about this awesome game.

For the first time, I'll try to kill some of the big bosses of the game. But, there is something in POE that I can't really understand: the defence system.

Could you guys help me?

1. I know that you must have at least 75% elemental resistence, but I always have -60% chaos resistence. This really matters? Should I increase my chaos resistence? I use Atziri's promise.
2. I know that you need at least 5k life to kill shaper, for exemple. Is there another defenses pre requirements?

For exemple, in this league, I have a nice build e I spent a lot of currency to buy a decent gear, but I still sometimes die for a tier 10+ bosses by 1 shot, and I don't really know why.

Sorry for my english.
If you could indicate good guides for me to read, I'll appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
Last bumped on Oct 17, 2018, 7:20:53 PM
Defenses have a liitle to do with well designed boss killer builds.

You shouldn't build around staying forever in the arena and taking hits until boss drops dead (unless playing on HC, where overly tanky builds are the norm). It's a recipe for disaster - the longer the fight, the higher the chances to go wrong.
But exactly the opposite - you build around dishing out insane damage, to end it up quickly, instead. Moderate defenses to take an occasional hit here and there is just enough.
Skilled movements and positiong can bypass insufficient defenses to a great extent, btw.

Additional defenses are welcome and help tremendously in boss fights, but aren't a priority. Damage and positioning are.
Not that I'm saying you have to build around glass cannons, but real priority is offense. Defense is secondary.

If it's on HC, it's a completely different story. As you need both tankiness and damage if going to tough bosses, and that's truly hard to achieve.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Oct 16, 2018, 9:51:59 AM
You can get by with -60% chaos resist generally its a fairly rare damage type and the values are based on you not having 75 (unlike elemental resists). Its still a good idea to pick some up when you can, everyone has their own value they like to get to i go for 0 then I just play around the rest.

as for defenses its a complicated problem, 5k life is at the low end really especially if you aren't familiar with the game but 5k life with layered defenses (evade/dodge/block/blind/phys reduction etc) goes quite a long way vs something like 7k of sponge. There are quite a few tanky defensive builds in the guide section check out ones for nebuloch juggs, RF juggs, Guardians or anything gladiator related generally.
watch this video, explain defensive mechanic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhAompSttsU
Thanks guys for your help! It'll help me a lot!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info