[3.4] Grogo’s Quill Rain, poison stacking Toxic Rain

Disclaimer
Spoiler

I am not a native English speaker, so pardon my mistakes as long as you understand most o it i am fine with it.

Concept:
Spoiler

Taking advantage of the Toxic Rain double hit mechanic plus its huge spore damage over time, which stacks combine that with the fast attack speed of Quill Rain, u got yourself some huge DPS.

Why Assassin?
Spoiler

One of the best choices for Poison builds, it should out damage Pathfinder in boss fights by miles, and seems to be fine with clearing trash as well, so no need to spread the poison – given by Nature’s Reprisal. Getting free culling strike + lots of Crit Multi and Crit Chance works fine for us. On top of all that we are getting free Maim, lots of Poison duration and .5% max life per enemy we kill.

Defense
Spoiler

Toxic Rain by itself can slow enemies by up to 60%, Temp Chains gives us another 28% and Maim gives another 30% ms slow. Paired with Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics the survivability is pretty good for a bow build. Another big thing is that we are only dying to one shot mechanics with the help of Thief’s Torment. I am currently thinking of a way to get some Blind in this build as well.

Pros and Cons
Spoiler

Pros

It’s not Elemental hit or Blade Vortex
Cheap Gear to start with
Can do every map mod
Melting bosses once u get started
U can sink all your currency for BiS gear
Can’t die unless u get one shot
Cheap dual curse setup

Cons

Damage on bosses ramps up
Mirage Archer sound is annoying sometimes
Can get very expensive

Leveling:
Follows…

Gear
Spoiler

Bow

Fastest bow in the game, letting us stack poison/spores the fastest way. We don’t care about the 40% less Weapon Damage, adding flat chaos damage with the added Chaos Damage gem gives us enough dmg for the Poison itself.

How Poison Damage is calculated
Spoiler

The base damage per second dealt by a given application of poison equals 20% of the combined physical and chaos damage of the base damage dealt which applied that particular instance of poison.

I tested it, didn’t rly like it tbh, gives us more “instant” DPS but won’t let us Stack poison and spores as fast as Quill Rain. Therefore less boss DPS.

Gloves

The Embalmer for cheap 5 link gives us a good Life roll a bit Chaos damage and Duration for our Poison, everything we need.
BiS: Embalmer with Curse on hit Despair

Other good Corruptions:
+1 Gems
+2 duration Gems
Curse on hit Temp Chains

Another Option
Spoiler

Fenumu’s Weave is another good Option, giving us the Level 20 Aspect of the Spider, can currently be optained by Timeworn Reliquary Key’s making it expensive as fuck to corrupt Curse on hit. But the Increased damage with Hits and Ailments + the web’s themselves could make it worth it.

Quiver

A good rare one will do for the beginning aim for life and resists. If u are caped on everything u can use a Drillneck here for a good damage boost. I am currently using a Drillneck hitting the BiS could take a while + it’s easier to corrupt +1 arrow on a Drillneck

BiS

Is an Elder Broadhead Quiver crafted with an Essence of Delirium u want to get the Elder Poison mod, cherry on the cake would be a good life roll and Phasing on kill. The elder Poison mod gives us 1 node we can skill otherwise.

Helmet

Rare one with Life and Resis, can’t get another important roll. Starkonja's Head is a good Unique choice but it’s missing resists we need.

You want to aim for the Toxic Rain +1 Arrow entchant, for obv reasons.
Increased curse effect for Despair is good aswell, giving more damage than 40% dmg Toxic Rain one.

Ring
We are aiming for

the instant leach, Toxic rain is Triggering the Life Gained on hit twice, first with the arrows then with the explosion of the spores giving us tons of HP and mana
If u don’t have the Chaos for it, take a good rare ring with life and resists + Mark of Submission for Curse on hit effect. (only needed if u are going dual Curse with Windscream/Cospri’s Will)

Amulet
Rare with max Life resists and attributes we may lack. Nice to have, crafted one with increased Chaos Damage. Added Phys or Chaos damage is nice too.

BiS would be Zerphi’s Heart but the 50% Attribute Requirments could make it hard to fit in, and its huge price is a downer too.

Belt
Rare with max life, resists open Prefix to craft MS, could use a Stygian Vise but Abyss Jewels don’t rly give us anything besides the increased damage.

Boots
Windscream easy way to get +1 Curse + u can use Cherrubim’s Maleficence for more chaos damage.
If u choose to use Cospris Will get boots with HP, Res and high movementspeed.

You want to get 120% increased Critical Strike Chance if you haven't Crit Recently as entchant. Giving our low crit chance a good boost.
The 2% regen entchant is good too.

Chest

If u use Windscream or don’t want a dual Curse Cherrubim's Maleficence is the Chest for u, good HP roll and “tons” of chaos damage.

Flasks

Roll the first three flasks as u like them the most, but u need anti bleeding and freeze.

This flask grans us Perfect Agony, the pure reason why we are going crit in the first place. Boosting our Poison stacks with some crit Multi + giving us 25% poison on hit and a huge increased duration of poison.
PerfectAgony

Modifiers to Critical Strike Multiplier also apply to Damage Multiplier for Ailments from Critical Strikes at 30% of their value
30% less Damage with Hits

Giving us a bit extra chaos damage based on our Physical damage, plus a bit of leach. Getting some HP over time countering the Blood Rage debuff fully. If you have enough Chaos on you, take a Dying sun for the extra projectiles.

Gem Setup
Spoiler

6 link Toxic Rain

Don’t bother getting a 5 Link Setup just use the first 4 Gems in The Embalmer.

4 link defensive

4 link Wither Totem

2 link Curse

and

for poison Damage and 20% poison on hit, currently i am not scaling the minion, we don't have mana for that. Could be worth it.

Skill tree & PoB
Spoiler

lower level skill trees are coming with the leveling guide.
https://pastebin.com/T5B1BvwU
PoB shows gear i am currently using.
Skilltree you should use
https://pastebin.com/avidWecV

Ascendancy
Spoiler

•Normal Lab: Noxious Strike
•Cruel Lab: Toxic Delivery
•Merc Lab: Opportunistic
•Eternal Lab: Ambush and Assassinate
Or
•Normal Lab: Noxious Strike
•Cruel Lab: Toxic Delivery
•Merc Lab: Unstable Infusion
•Eternal Lab: Deadly Infusion

DPS wise there is no difference but I prefer the free Culling Strike for bosses and the movement speed from Opportunistic if you have killed recently.
Unstable Infusion and Deadly Infusion gives u free power charges and more crit chance.

Bandits & Pantheon
Spoiler

Kill them all for +2 or Alira
Soul of the Brine King – upgrade as u like
Soul of Garkukhan

Killed Content
Spoiler

Shaper Guardians + Shaper
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/309298763
aBitOfInsight
Guardians felt a bit weired, felt a bit like i have not enough damage but pulled threw in the end. Most of the deaths in this video could have been avoided by just playing better, shaper can be a easy kill without deaths.

Changelog
Spoiler

Skilltree you should use added. (3 jewel sockets)
10.09.2018 Added helm/boots entchant.
11.09.2018 Added Dying Sun as option for Atziri's
13.09.2018 Added Killed content

Coming soon
Spoiler

Going to add a funny Paint build picture.
Maybe going to add some videos to show u the boss dps u get with the build.
i am going to add a leveling guide sooner or later.

Last edited by grog0 on Sep 12, 2018, 6:32:39 PM
Last bumped on Dec 5, 2018, 5:22:39 PM
reserved
Any bosses you've defeated?
Also, why added chaos instead of swift affiction?
0 jewels on tree which is bad for any build at your level
Cloth and Chain node on the tree is 100% not worth picking it up
I hope Thief's Torment not the end game planned ring? Otherwise its bad idea
You're wearing Windscream but i dont see any resource of you second curse
Having Witchfire Brew flask is probably the best option for applying Despair untill you'll buy Impresence with Despair reservation (replacing Atziri's flask)
Last edited by Fitfirar on Sep 8, 2018, 1:47:01 PM
"
Fitfirar wrote:
Having Witchfire Brew flask is probably the best option for applying Despair untill you'll buy Impresence with Despair reservation (replacing Atziri's flask)

I have done Twined Colosseum with 0 deaths, yellow Elder and Guardians without any Problems any t11-t15 Boss, didn't get Guardians nor Shaper so far, but shouldn't be a problem.

I am trying so scale both, the Toxic Rain degen and the poison we inflict on bosses. Added Chaos is the only source of flat damage and it’s a huge buff for our poison. In PoB Swift Affliction gives me 22k damage for our poison added Chaos gives 88k per poison + Affliction giving our Pods less Duration, lowering their damage.

Thief's Torment is my endgame plan, because otherwise, we couldn't keep up the mana for our massive attack speed, and it gives us a massive survivability boost, Toxic Rain hits Twice, giving us the on hit effect twice... As I said u can use other rings if u feel the need for it. I stay with Torment, don't see a reason to change.

I have Curse on Despair gloves, linked in the thread, and Temp Chains with Blasphemy, also linked. At level 94 u get 2 jewel sockets, if u have better gear balance u can take the 2 nodes from Cloth and Chain and get them even earlier.

greetings Grogo
Last edited by grog0 on Sep 8, 2018, 3:47:01 PM
Decent build guide. Definitely a good budget friendly guide.
Jewels are not there but i suppose u will fix that.

I took a few of your ideas for my own build since u used some nice synergies for toxic rain.

Just a bit late we are already 1 week into the league :)
"
grog0 wrote:
"
Fitfirar wrote:

I have done Twined Colosseum with 0 deaths, yellow Elder and Guardians without any Problems any t11-t15 Boss, didn't get Guardians nor Shaper so far, but shouldn't be a problem.

I am trying so scale both, the Toxic Rain degen and the poison we inflict on bosses. Added Chaos is the only source of flat damage and it’s a huge buff for our poison. In PoB Swift Affliction gives me 22k damage for our poison added Chaos gives 88k per poison + Affliction giving our Pods less Duration, lowering their damage.

Thief's Torment is my endgame plan, because otherwise, we couldn't keep up the mana for our massive attack speed, and it gives us a massive survivability boost, Toxic Rain hits Twice, giving us the on hit effect twice... As I said u can use other rings if u feel the need for it. I stay with Torment, don't see a reason to change.

I have Curse on Despair gloves, linked in the thread, and Temp Chains with Blasphemy, also linked. At level 94 u get 2 jewel sockets, if u have better gear balance u can take the 2 nodes from Cloth and Chain and get them even earlier.

greetings Grogo

Thanks for the answer. i was talking about TT in a way that you can get x2 or even x3 resists from the rings, but the mana reg/leech should be fixed yea
I suggest you to point out for people that doesn't have embalmer with despair how can they achieve second curse, because using double blasphemy is 100% mana reservation since we're using herald of agony

edit: currently trying socketed herald of agony, even 4l seems worth for me, has some periodical dps taps. build is still at the beginning for me tho
Last edited by Fitfirar on Sep 9, 2018, 9:08:25 AM
"
Fitfirar wrote:
"
grog0 wrote:
"
Fitfirar wrote:

greetings Grogo

Thanks for the answer. i was talking about TT in a way that you can get x2 or even x3 resists from the rings, but the mana reg/leech should be fixed yea
I suggest you to point out for people that doesn't have embalmer with despair how can they achieve second curse, because using double blasphemy is 100% mana reservation since we're using herald of agony

edit: currently trying socketed herald of agony, even 4l seems worth for me, has some periodical dps taps. build is still at the beginning for me tho

u can use this ring:

but again, you only get 1 ring u can use. Thiefs gives around 30 all res so u should be fine. I am not ele weakness capped, but i play SC so i don't rly care.

EDIT: The double on hit effect as far as I know is intended.
Last edited by grog0 on Sep 9, 2018, 7:49:39 PM
Sooo, keep getting error 503 when trying to import your pastbin...
"
Kjudd wrote:
Sooo, keep getting error 503 when trying to import your pastbin...

Pastebin is valid for. Have you updated your Path of Building?

You can get my Character info under the account grog0 Charname: TPHMqBIMHR only one in Delve so far.
Last edited by grog0 on Sep 10, 2018, 3:08:59 PM
So far leveling the build and I love it, awesome work. Question on the herald minion....would it not be worth to put it into the embalmer gloves with GMP/VP/Min damage? Seems like it's mana better spent then on despair? Thanks in advance!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info