From Delve ladders to Delve rankings

There were over 42,000 players in PoE at the last league launch, and a sustain rate over 15,000. A ladder for 100 of them is a feature for 0.6% of the playerbase, at best.

As a regular PoE player, but no streaming pro or even any pretensions to be particularly good, I would still like to see how I match up. I love Chris' leaguely graphs that show (for example) that 5% of players get 12 challenges complete. But for Delve, I want more.

Specifically, I want to know what percentage of players have reached the delve level I'm at - and I want it in game, in real time, not on the forums at league end. This feature would give me a real reason to keep pushing, which will otherwise be absent because like most people I'm never going to be in the top 100. I think it would really help player retention.

If you're worried people would be disheartened or insulted by being told they're really bad, you could only enable it when some realistic progress is made, e.g. you're in the top 75% of PoE players, or even the top 50% if you must. But restricting this incentive to the top 0.6% is depriving the game of a huge incentive to play.
Last bumped on Aug 17, 2018, 9:25:09 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
+1
“We are the race of flesh, We are the race of lovers.”
Where did they state that the ladder would only show the top 100? I thought it would be the same as the regular ladders, top 15000.
Good point, it seems I misunderstood the ladder. It appears to cover 15000 characters (not players), which gets you down as far as some of the level 94 toons. That's a lot more than I'd realised.

All the same, I suggest that especially with an infinite dungeon, GGG should want to engage far more players in tracking the progress.

For my own case as an example, this league (ISC) I have a level 91 toon and another over 70, and the ladder still isn't relevant to me. Does this matter, or am I being a snowflake? Well, I have 16 challenges complete this league: 23.8% of players had as many as 12 when the stats were posted on July 31st, so I guess I'm hovering around the edge of the top quartile. i.e. the current ladders are irrelevant to considerably more than three-quarters of players.

If there were an ingame interface saying "you're in the top 76%" would it have kept me engaged longer, pushing to try to get over the psychogical 75% perhaps? Quite likely it would. And with Delve, it's the explicit design goal to (a) encourage competitive PvE and (b) to track that against the depth of delve completed.

So I stand by my suggestion: show me in-game where my depth of delve stacks up against the playerbase, to encourage me to keep pushing a little deeper. Don't restrict this feature to those elite enough to be on the ladder.
Last edited by Potenz0 on Aug 17, 2018, 8:48:48 AM
42 k? I remember like 100k + being in queue during launch + 140 k viewing on twitch... dunno where you got your 42 k from :D

Otherwise +1 to this post.

That stuff in your second post about the top quartile and 3/4 players though... i mean i don't consider ppl with 5 challenges at month 2 of the league actual payers bro... like really.
Quit after Legion, rejoined PoE to see what the game's like now in 3.12.
Last edited by Paldamus on Aug 17, 2018, 9:28:27 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info