Patch 3.3 4.7m Shaper dps - Max Block Blade Flurry - Gladiator [NOT A BUDGET BUILD]

Videos
Spoiler

T15 - Basilica map
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8PK7tLQgWE&feature=youtu.be
its only a t15 map, but it does showcase its damage and block

T16 - Minotaur
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Y0H2xv7vg&feature=youtu.be
Running with Devotos as mino could in theory kill me with a crit while wearing Abyssus

T17 - Shaper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU12RL-X4d0&feature=youtu.be
Had 2 unlucky deaths, but otherwise a quite smooth run

Theory Behind the Character

I decided to make this build because my computer is a bit of a potato, so i needed something with high defence as well as high damage in order to kill endgame bosses like Shaper and Uber Atziri.

I chose block chance as blocking in Path of Exile completely nullifies damage and with the gladiator acendency i could apply 100% of my block chance to spell block chance, without taking up my gear slots.

The gladiator acendency also allows us to utelize the high block chance, giving us 8% increased physical damage for each hit blocked in the last 10 seconds. On certain bosses the blockstack can reach a good 100 effectively increase out physical damage with 800%. sadly endgame bosses dont quite have the kind of spawnrate on adds to procc such a high phys%.

My reason for going with Blade Flurry is it remains the highest dameging melee attack not utelizing dualwield.

My current dps is 6.2m or 4.7m shaper dps. The dps of this build is dependent on how much pdps you can build.

Map Restrictions
Spoiler

Cannot run
Spoiler
Elemental/physical Reflection
Cannot Leech Mana

Defficult
Spoiler

Vulnability cursed maps
Elemental cursed maps
Reduced Block maps

Path of building link
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/pNyh9ZEM

Gearing Choices - if you just wanna see what i went with
Spoiler

Gearing Choises - the reason behind
Spoiler

Weapon and shield
Spoiler

For the weapon you want a 1handed weapon with as high physical damage per second as possible (optimally a sword).
A high pdps weapon is needed for any kind of damage with this build as it has a focus on blocking.

There are two reasons i went with The Surrender
#1 the 250 life gained on block.
#2 The level 30 Reckoning skill.

You can simply use a rare shield with the 5% max life recovered on block mod on it.
As i currently have 5000 life, the 5% would heal me for 250 life, Same as The surrender, however the surrender also has the Reckoning skill.
The reckoning skill retaliates upon blocking. When linked with the Life Leech support gem, it will effectivly heal you for a good bit. In my case its 280 life per second.

An alternative shield you can use for increased damage is

The damage gained by this shield is not really needed and the defence provided by the surrender far outrank the damage gained by this shield in my opinion. You should have the chance to make the choice yourself though.

Helmet
Spoiler

With a blockchance of 79% we can run Abyssus without any major worries.
we have a high amount of armor as well as Aspect of the Crab resulting in a physical damage reduction of over 90% and with fortify on top at that we can take some serius hits.

However for running UL i would reccomend

The traps in UL nonblockable physical damage, which is considerable harder with an abyssus to survive.
It wont decrease your damage by all that much.

Body Armor
Spoiler

This armor peice is pretty much the perfect item for the build.
As mentioned earlier the skill, Aspect of the Crab, provided by the armor reduces physical damage taken by 2% for each stack to a maximum of 15 stacks or 30% physical damage reduction.
all stacks are lost upon taking a physical hit, however as block completely nullifies damage done, most bosses wont actually hit before the stacks are up again.
The stacking speed is 1 every 0.5 seconds.

this build has 1 big weakness, which is damage over time or nonblockable damage.
This armor has a mod which prevents us from being inflicted with bleed.
combined with the Pantheon that makes you immune to poison and a Diamond flask with immune to ignite, we can prevent as much damage over time as possible in the game.
Theres still 3 kinds of damage over time effects we can't prevent.
#1 Chaos damage over time (not to be confused with poison)
#2 Physical damage over time (not to be confused with bleed)
#3 Damage over time attached to an area and not the character (vortex for example)

Other than this, it has high armor and a decent amount of life.

Amulet
Spoiler

Not much to say about this, but it should be noted that the mod: % of physical damage is gained as extra ___ damage
is one of the biggest boosts to our damage and the lightning version lets us shock the enemy, greatly increasing our damage.

As for the rest of the gear there isn't much to say.

here are some stats to look for after having maxed out your resistances ranked after priority.

350 Accuracy (to stay above 90% hit chance)
Added physical damage
Life
Elemental damage with attacks
Critical strike Multiplier
Attackspeed
Ctrength
Critical strike chance
Added elemental damage

Gem Links
Spoiler

Blade FLurry

Leapslam

Auras

CWDT links

Ancestral Warcheif and Reckoning(shield)

Pantheon
Spoiler

Major Pantheon choice:
Soul of Solaris - it provides an extra safeline, further reducing damage taken in bossfights
Soul of Arakaali - This one is great for clearing maps and/or bosses that either deal in chaos or lightning damage

Minor Pantheon Choice:
Soul of Shakari - This builds biggest weakness is damage over time as it doesn't hit and therefore can't be blocked. The immunity to poison leaves one less thing to worry about.

Pros/Cons
Spoiler

+ High damage
+ High survivabilty
+ Can Run all content
+ In case you fall asleep at your computer, it can also clear most content while afk.

- It's not a low budget build.
- you can be 1hit by heavy physical attacks that get past your block(as an examble, if Shapers ground slam crits)
- Doesn't have kinetic Blast lvl clearspeed

Cost
Spoiler

As i have already mentioned this most deffinetly is not a budget build.
However no items in this build are a must. The gear showcased here is simply what i found to be the optimal items.
discounting the weapon and Watcher's Eye the gear can be optained for less than 20ex, so it isn't anything crazy

If you have any questions or if theres anything i haven't fully explained, please do submit a comment.
Last edited by TasteMyCriticalHit on Aug 13, 2018, 9:01:04 AM
Last bumped on Dec 5, 2018, 1:37:56 AM
What armor pieces / MTX are you wearing in that picture? Look badass.
"
hexpl0rer wrote:
What armor pieces / MTX are you wearing in that picture? Look badass.

i'll be damned ^^ haven't even finished the guide yet ^^

for the body armor i use The BrassDome as a skin transfer
as for the rest.
i use stormcallers gloves, boots, shield and back attatchment
my helmet is the Reedemer helmet skin with the lightning eyes attatchment to make the eyes light up with lightning
I don't usually like Blade Flurry builds but I can see how this might appeal to some people!

Looks like a super tanky well-rounded damage wise build that is perfect for people who like to face tank monsters without feeling like they lack damage. Thought I am not a fan of builds that feel slow.. Recently I've been trying to make tankier builds or Totem builds, etc. But I just get reminded that I don't like them as much as run around and make things explode, bla bla.

I might consider make this next time they give us the full respec, and if I have enough currency.

Also, I agree with hexpl0rer, you look pretty damn well with those MTXs!

Thanks for the time and effort that you have put into making this build, I hope you get a good reception out of it!
Well...your tree is not valid, the one in pob and from your profile are different, your items are 1h+shield while your tree is taking all the dual-wield nodes. Btw, you can save 1 passive point by connecting the dex node right before the Herbalism cluster in Ranger area in your actual tree.

You seem to focus on elemental damage too much while your Wise oak only applies lightning penetration (based on your pob). Unless you are actually using a shaper stat stick in offhand...

The tooltip is not really practical, I doubt you can shock shaper constantly.
"
I don't usually like Blade Flurry builds but I can see how this might appeal to some people!

Looks like a super tanky well-rounded damage wise build that is perfect for people who like to face tank monsters without feeling like they lack damage. Thought I am not a fan of builds that feel slow.. Recently I've been trying to make tankier builds or Totem builds, etc. But I just get reminded that I don't like them as much as run around and make things explode, bla bla.

I might consider make this next time they give us the full respec, and if I have enough currency.

Also, I agree with hexpl0rer, you look pretty damn well with those MTXs!

Thanks for the time and effort that you have put into making this build, I hope you get a good reception out of it!

Thanks mate ^^ hope you can find a way to increase the build clearspeed so it fits your style a bit more ^^
i have been playing a round a little with a maxblock dualwield version of this, in which case you can switch Blade Flurry with Vaal Double Strike.
that should in thoery give you the explosion bla bla you like ^^
"
Well...your tree is not valid, the one in pob and from your profile are different, your items are 1h+shield while your tree is taking all the dual-wield nodes. Btw, you can save 1 passive point by connecting the dex node right before the Herbalism cluster in Ranger area in your actual tree.

You seem to focus on elemental damage too much while your Wise oak only applies lightning penetration (based on your pob). Unless you are actually using a shaper stat stick in offhand...

The tooltip is not really practical, I doubt you can shock shaper constantly.

thanks mate^^ i'm quite surprised it didn't see the dualwield nodes myself^^
its from when i played around with a dualwield version of the build,
as for the elemental damage.. i do have far more elemental damage then physical. in the case of the rings, i do agree that Steel rings would give me better results, but i dont have any such rings yet.
However increased the elemental damage types are quite important as the acendency gives a great increase to physical damage.
as for the wise oak, i am working on balancing my resistances ^^ but i dont quite have the budget to do that in one sitting^^
As for the shocking shaper theory, i can't prove you wrong, but i can say that his life does burn down, seemingly in line with the dps showed on PoB

hope that answered some fo your concern.
Last edited by TasteMyCriticalHit on Jul 18, 2018, 7:12:38 AM
Since it's a shield build, shouldn't you get Precise Interception instead of Aspect of the Panther?
"
Since it's a shield build, shouldn't you get Precise Interception instead of Aspect of the Panther?

Most certainly ^^ had earlier played around with a dualwield version of this build.
Thought i had gotten all the notes ^^ thanks for pointing it out
You stated you have 4.7M shaper DPS but your build in PoB with only realistic configuration options on has 2.3M shaper DPS on 'Release at 6 Stages' mode or 1.7M shaper DPS on much more realistic '6 Stages' mode. Shaper is not shocked because you have no sources which can apply 50% shock on him. Your PoB link has lvl 100 character which is ridiculous because your maximum level is 93 and your gladiator level is 90. So DPS was calculated with lvl 93 character. And all damage is based on your insane 477 pDPS 1H sword which means for real builds with realistic 300 pDPS 1H sword this build will have 1.5 times less DPS. Also you enabled option "always on full life" which gives you 50% more DPS but you are not always on full life so your real shaper DPS is even lower. And last, but not least: all legacy items was replaced by their non-legacy counterparts. Long story short: actual shaper DPS of this build is roughly ~1M.

On level 93 your build has only 4.6k life which is too low especially for "Abyssus" user.

You stated your build has "Max Block" but your block chance is only 71(72)% which is not only beyond 75% achievable by any character but also far beyond 79% which gladiator with "Violent Retaliation" ascendancy can have.

And why you marked your build as 3.3 patch in title? You are using "Craiceann's Carapace" unique body armour which was exclusive to 3.2 bestiary league and is inaccessible in 3.3 patch.

Your passive tree choices are below "perfect" or even "good" and there is much more things about this build far away from "good" (for example absence of life flask). I realize sharing a build you like is a good thing but before share it you need to make is realistic and playable, and, to be honest, you need to learn game mechanics better before you can make good build guide to share it with others.

Best regards.
retired from forum because of censorship and discrimination
Last edited by DivineChampion on Jul 27, 2018, 9:12:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info