Why bother with Red elder?

When watcher's eye doesn't drop? Is bigger probability to drop watcher eye on red map than yellow? I killed T15 red elder it was pain as hell for nothing. So I will not push elder to high red map for nothing. It's not worth it or am I wrong?
Last bumped on Jun 25, 2018, 9:11:24 AM
You can have higher ilvl bases (amulets and rings even with trash mods are worthy) , but if you cant manage to take it down easy there is nothing wrong with taking him down on yellow maps. The maps will cost you less to setup and run them and most probably you will have more fun.
I have the same problem as yours but lets say one tier higher as I get owned really hard by Uber Elder and the two times I killed him after wasting lots of sets learning the fight , he dropped a cool watcher eye with penetration/hatred that I could have bought and saved a crapton of $$$$ on sets and another one that if I can get 30c for it I will be very lucky. So for now Im going for red tier Elder and normal Shaper.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2844110
Last edited by kikeuy on Jun 23, 2018, 10:14:51 PM
"
kikeuy wrote:
You can have higher ilvl bases (amulets and rings even with trash mods are worthy) , but if you cant manage to take it down easy there is nothing wrong with taking him down on yellow maps. The maps will cost you less to setup and run them and most probably you will have more fun.
I have the same problem as yours but lets say one tier higher as I get owned really hard by Uber Elder and the two times I killed him after wasting lots of sets learning the fight , he dropped a cool watcher eye with penetration/hatred that I could have bought and saved a crapton of $$$$ on sets and another one that if I can get 30c for it I will be very lucky. So for now Im going for red tier Elder and normal Shaper.
Me too red elder but not higher than T12. I think higher is not worth it for me. Especially when it drops nothing.
Last edited by Kastmar on Jun 23, 2018, 10:28:09 PM
All comes down to how easy you find the fight.

If you're good at avoiding his mechanics, there isn't much difference in the fights besides more damage.

Uber Elder on the other hand.
Divination Card - Emperor's Luck.
Not really worth , I killed uber elder 12 times. Only a single watcher eye dropped, and ofcourse with horrible mods. Better to farm elder at minimum tier 6 (watcher eye started able to drop at tier 6).
Tried uber elder for the first time and got him on the last portal decent watcher's eye dropped so I might try for it again, the good part is that you can spawn him quite easily I think, the bad part is two sets of t16 maps cost an arm and a kidney these days.

If I had to choose which elder to do for money, I'd do yellow elder too, only difference between yellow and red elder is Impresence which, let's be honest..

http://poe.ninja/challenge/unique-accessories?filter=impresence
Second-class poe gamer
Thank you all.
"
Kastmar wrote:
When watcher's eye doesn't drop? Is bigger probability to drop watcher eye on red map than yellow? I killed T15 red elder it was pain as hell for nothing. So I will not push elder to high red map for nothing. It's not worth it or am I wrong?

Literally zero reason to farm non-uber elder because the meta is all about maintaining shaper/elder influence for as long as possible for maximum drops.

None of the elder guardians even drop anything good, watcher's eye isnt even a guaranteed drop if you keep shaper alive AND the odds of it getting a high value combination are very low.

Re-generating elder influence and moving it onto the shaped map of your choice takes quite a while so thats time wasted not running your perfect shaped map with max sextants for max drops.
Watcher;s eye is a separate loot roll over his guaranteed unique roll. So if you are after Watcher's eyes yellow or red does not matter. Just how you do the portal phase (don' let Sharper dies)

In the current meta where Shimmeron is so expensive I do agree that Red Elder is a bit moot because you only include all the amulets in the equation. Ideally you want a Yellow Elder spawn. Unless some hidden number affect the chance of watcher's eye the higher the map is.

That all said I can confirm he drops eyes on red tier. I did do like 12-18 Elders now and last 2 were very rewarding:

That said some of the Impresence amulets sell quite well: The chaos and fire one specifically.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will take you down to their level and beat you trough experience."
Last edited by Bone2flesh on Jun 25, 2018, 9:12:36 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info