Woah man, Shaper is HARD!

I've played POE for 5 years and today I tried Shaper for the first time...

Well firstly, I killed Phoenix and Chimera pretty easily. Minotaur totally owned me... I don't know how people kill him... I was getting one shot by I got no idea what. And Hydra, well, Hydra was the only map I didn't have and it's 40c?! So I thought I'd just buy the Hydra fragment for 10c to go to Shaper.

Anyway, I'm playing Ngamahu Cyclone and I'm level 91. In all my time playing it's the furthest I've ever managed to push a build so I'm breaking new ground. My first character to kill Uber Izaru, and kill guardians... and I REALLY wanna kill Shaper.

So I reach Shaper, and man that guy is totally crazy. There is so much stuff going on in the fight it was hard to get to him. Also, playing cyclone maybe makes it harder because it's pure melee?

I made it to Shaper phase 2.

Those voids just smashed me... I ended up having 3 voids totally taking up all the space in Zana's shield so it was pretty much game over... I couldn't do anything about it.

This guy is just crazy... I mean Streamers and build creators make these fights look so easy, but after 5 years of playing this game I still don't know how people do it... crazy stuff!!!!
Last bumped on Jun 22, 2018, 4:44:38 PM
Haha, good fight man! Win or lose it was fun right?

I actually really really like that hes waiting there in every league like a wall to climb.

Good on you for going further this league than ever!

The thing I like about fighting shaper is his kamehameha that skill so hilarious
Last edited by zipZAP_182 on Jun 22, 2018, 1:56:22 AM
Cyclone definitely makes the fight a lot harder, especially if you've never done it before. Mostly it comes down to practice. If you want to trivialize it, do a miner, summoner, or blade flurry.
Shaper is a very mechanical fight, yeah. Try again and again until you have the mechanics down then it becomes a lot easier. Of course good dps and defenses help, but most of his stuff can be avoided if you know how to.

The voids are something you should keep a constant eye on. Have a good movement skill ready and proc them at the edges of the map so they don't get in your way later on. Killing Shaper fast makes it easier on that part of the fight, because not as many voids are going to spawn if you wittle his HP down fast enough.

My first ever Shaper kill was on a Ngamahu cycloner too, but you definitely have to make good use of your leap slams for it to be a smooth fight. I'd add a faster attacks to yours.

Your gear seems ok, you could probably use a little upgrade on the rings to boost your dps more. Opal rings crafted with a fire damage essence is what you want to be going for eventually.

Your helmet gem setup seems a bit weird. I personal used maim as a support on my totem, can recommend that. (Damnamneus in my profile if you wanna check it out. By no means perfectly geared, but might have a few improvements over your dude you can consider. Gear is a little outdated because last I played it was before Abyss jewels/stygian vise were added to the game)
"
trixxar wrote:

I actually really really like that hes waiting there in every league like a wall to climb.

haha thanks man... but I play standard! Making it to Shaper on Standard is hard enough for me :) Been playing this Cycloner for the past year.
"
Burgingham wrote:
Shaper is a very mechanical fight, yeah. Try again and again until you have the mechanics down then it becomes a lot easier. Of course good dps and defenses help, but most of his stuff can be avoided if you know how to.

The voids are something you should keep a constant eye on. Have a good movement skill ready and proc them at the edges of the map so they don't get in your way later on. Killing Shaper fast makes it easier on that part of the fight, because not as many voids are going to spawn if you wittle his HP down fast enough.

My first ever Shaper kill was on a Ngamahu cycloner too, but you definitely have to make good use of your leap slams for it to be a smooth fight. I'd add a faster attacks to yours.

Your gear seems ok, you could probably use a little upgrade on the rings to boost your dps more. Opal rings crafted with a fire damage essence is what you want to be going for eventually.

Your helmet gem setup seems a bit weird. I personal used maim as a support on my totem, can recommend that. (Damnamneus in my profile if you wanna check it out. By no means perfectly geared, but might have a few improvements over your dude you can consider. Gear is a little outdated because last I played it was before Abyss jewels/stygian vise were added to the game)

Thanks man... I'll check it out... I feel like I may have to level a few more.. maybe to 93/94? But that will probably take me a few months :)
Nah, you should be fine at 91. The last few levels should not be a very substantial improvement for a build anymore. Sure, you can a few hp here, a bit of dps there, but by level 90'ish most builds are "finished" in terms of what they are trying to achieve.
"
brunowa wrote:
"
trixxar wrote:

haha thanks man... but I play standard! Making it to Shaper on Standard is hard enough for me :) Been playing this Cycloner for the past year.

All the same, its progress. Nothing but respect! And agree hes a big step in difficulty.
Same here. I tried shaper twice and failed both times because of the voids. It's a fight that requires quite a bit of practice, but exactly there is my problem: I need like a full league to even obtain the 4 keys, mainly because of lvl 14+ maps hardly dropping for me.

No maps, no practice. No practice, no Shaper kill.

This is the current state of PoE for me. But I can live with the fact that I'm just too much of a casual for beating Shaper.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info