Maps and Portals

I'm playing on Linux, which sadly has the problem of the game crashing every now and then, because that happens whenever virtual memory for the process reaches 4GB. This means I need to restart the game quite frequently, and it's always a fear that a Lab run will end abruptly (no way to re-enter those).

I've just completed the story line and about to start on Maps. Therefore I wonder if it's possible to re-enter a Map if the game crashes (similar to normal areas, if you do it before the instance resets). Furthermore, is it possible to use the portal scroll to drop off loot and head back, or will that not work for Maps?
Last bumped on Jun 21, 2018, 3:59:41 PM
You can use a portal scroll to drop off loot but you lose one of your 6 portals when you do. I've had the game crash and once I got back in my remaining portals are there, but the way the game has been acting lately with the constant DC and crashes who knows
Arguing on the Internet: What's the point when you can't punch them in the face when they really piss you off?
Thanks. Tried it out and as you say it worked, although I 'lost' one portal. Wish there was a Stash in that room, but suppose that can be sorted later when it's possible to get Zana to the hideout.
You should be able to invite Zana to your hideout as soon as you complete your first mission. (Unless your hideout is currently full, in which case you might consider dismissing one of the other masters.)
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Jun 17, 2018, 6:22:31 PM
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
You should be able to invite Zana to your hideout as soon as you complete your first mission. (Unless your hideout is currently full, in which case you might consider dismissing one of the other masters.)

It is currently full and it's quite a while until I hit level 7, so I may have to kick somebody out. Would have to be Vorici as the other crafting benches are more useful (if only to check what's possible).

Thankfully it works fine to use portals without ending maps, unlike the Labs, though it would be quicker if I didn't have to waypoint back to the Hideout first. Hopefully it's possible to get Zana and this device of hers to the Hideout eventually.

If I may ask another question about this Map business. A few times I have touched a pillar or totem of some sort, which results in an expanding circle of seemingly death. What is that? Been some very close calls, but I got out and away in time to heal up. Seems to me, either the circle itself is dangerous, or I get totaly hosed by enemies while inside it.

Not sure why that Shaper-thing on the Maps keep moving about either. Been fun so far though, and I can kind of see now why people say the game truly begins with Maps.
"
Pangaearocks wrote:
Hopefully it's possible to get Zana and this device of hers to the Hideout eventually.

Once you invite Zana to your hideout, she will give you a personal map device that you can place in the hideout. In addition to that, Zana herself sells Maps - this is probably more valuable than any other Master's trade offer. She is definitely worth having in your hideout, even if you have to kick someone out.

"
A few times I have touched a pillar or totem of some sort, which results in an expanding circle of seemingly death. What is that? Been some very close calls, but I got out and away in time to heal up. Seems to me, either the circle itself is dangerous, or I get totaly hosed by enemies while inside it.

It sounds like you have encountered a breach.

"
Not sure why that Shaper-thing on the Maps keep moving about either.

Here: Atlas of Worlds.

"
Been fun so far though, and I can kind of see now why people say the game truly begins with Maps.

Glad you like it! Welcome to PoE!
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
Once you invite Zana to your hideout, she will give you a personal map device that you can place in the hideout. In addition to that, Zana herself sells Maps - this is probably more valuable than any other Master's trade offer. She is definitely worth having in your hideout, even if you have to kick someone out.

I've bought a few maps from her in the templar place, including a rare, but having her in the Hideout would be useful. Especially the map device for loot drop-off purposes :P

"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
It sounds like you have encountered a breach.

Oh. So that's a Breach? Thought it was the earth cracking and spitting out monsters over a fair distance. It certainly looked like some kind of breach to me. But the actual Breach is even more dangerous. I really had to get out asap or die.

But if you then manage to stay there without dying, at some point the Breachlord bosses mentioned in some achievement will pop out and have a stab at you?

"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
Glad you like it! Welcome to PoE!

Been quite a ride so far, and I see the Atlas is freakin' huge! I'll surely not be able to clear out all that, would probably take way more skill and an OP build. But it's fun for now. Certainly more fun than those pesky incursions I'm doing my best to ignore. Only been to Tier 2 Maps so far, and even those can be tough at times, so T16 must be unreal!
Last edited by Pangaearocks on Jun 17, 2018, 7:23:55 PM
"
Pangaearocks wrote:
Oh. So that's a Breach? Thought it was the earth cracking and spitting out monsters over a fair distance. It certainly looked like some kind of breach to me. But the actual Breach is even more dangerous. I really had to get out asap or die.

That would be an Abyss.

"
But if you then manage to stay there without dying, at some point the Breachlord bosses mentioned in some achievement will pop out and have a stab at you?

There is a (quite low) chance that the Breachlord himself will pay you a visit. If that happens, I would suggest you pick a direction and start running.

Additionally, monsters and Clasped Hands (those are like chests, if you haven't figured that out yet) in a Breach can drop Breachstone Splinters. Collect 100 of one kind, and you can open a portal to the Breachlord Domain, and pay them a visit in their own home. If you manage to defeat one, he can drop powerful unique items that can't be obtained elsewhere.

"
Only been to Tier 2 Maps so far, and even those can be tough at times, so T16 must be unreal!

I have not done a Tier 16 map in the three or so years I've been playing PoE actively. The difficulty curve is real. (Although truth be told I like experimenting and rerolling more than focusing on progression with one character.)
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Jun 17, 2018, 7:32:12 PM
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
That would be an Abyss.

Aha. All the things we can learn here :) I've quite enjoyed Abysses, although I didn't know there was a timer to them, and that I needed to follow them in a certain timeframe. I've just killed what comes out, and generally moved a little away from the hotspot early on. Which is probably why not all of them have played out, because I haven't always seen a Trove at the end of it. Was concerned about trigger an Abyss in the first Map I played, but it turned out okay in the end (i.e., I didn't die).

"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
There is a (quite low) chance that the Breachlord himself will pay you a visit. If that happens, I would suggest you pick a direction and start running.

Noted! :D It's generally what I do when in trouble. Sometimes it leads to "panic mode" when Whirling Blade doesn't work because my left pinky toe is lodged up against a plank or something. It can be quite finicky.

"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
Additionally, monsters and Clasped Hands (those are like chests, if you haven't figured that out yet) in a Breach can drop Breachstone Splinters. Collect 100 of one kind, and you can open a portal to the Breachlord Domain, and pay them a visit in their own home. If you manage to defeat one, he can drop powerful unique items that can't be obtained elsewhere.

I have not done a Tier 16 map in the three or so years I've been playing PoE actively. The difficulty curve is real. (Although truth be told I like experimenting and rerolling more than focusing on progression with one character.)

Had no idea about that, but then I've not been able to do these Breaches anyway. Way, WAY too dangerous. I've found a few Abyss jewels though, so do they only spawn when an Abyss starts spewing out monsters? I've noticed that most jewels are a bit crap (1% block chance and suchlike), but some of them are thankfully useful.

Kind of encouraging to hear that very experienced and knowledgeable players haven't completed T16 maps too. Hopefully I can deal with most of the so-called "white" ones at least. The build guide I'm following talks about Über Elder as a 'maybe', but I'm going to make a not-so-wild guesstimate and say that is way out of my league.

I'm liking the game a lot more than I thought I would (never played one like this before, apart from Torchlight I guess), so that is definitely positive.
I have another question, about Chaos resistance. When should I start to worry about this, and how do you increase the resistance when nigh on nothing I see have any? The "All resistances" on gear doesn't apply either.

Secondly, I wonder if an enemy I came across used this stuff, because I died before you could blink. It was a 2x Rogue Exile daily mission from Zana (she was at level 2) with a timer. My Chaos resistance is at -60%... Does that mean they do 1.6x Chaos damage, or is it capped at 1x if you have negative modifiers like that?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info