Cold Snap

Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Last bumped on Feb 27, 2023, 11:21:59 PM
I made a Cast on Crit build for fun with a Cospri's Malice trying to have it auto cast Cold Snap, but it doesn't / won't consume a power charge (I'm using the threshold jewel that changes it from using frenzy charges to power charges) to bypass the cooldown. I'm not that far with it, just got to maps but damage seems fine, I just wish it'd use charges with auto-casting.
On the Vortex wiki page, there's a mention that Hypothermia will only support the initial hit, not the DoT. Is it also the case for Cold Snap?
PoE forums ignore list script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/162657

0.4: added "ignore" button. ignore list is now saved locally.
"
kodr wrote:
On the Vortex wiki page, there's a mention that Hypothermia will only support the initial hit, not the DoT. Is it also the case for Cold Snap?

Which modifier of Hypothermia are you talking about?

Supported Skills deal (20-39)% more Damage with Hits and Ailments against Chilled Enemies
The Damage over Time portion of Cold Snap (or Vortex) is neither a Hit nor an Ailment. Thus this does not apply in either case.

Supported Skills have 10% chance to Freeze Enemies which are Chilled
Supported Skills have 20% increased Effect of Chill on Enemies
Damage over Time can not inflict ailments such as Chill or Freeze, so neither of these affects the DoT component. I don't think the increased chill effect applies to the chilled ground either, but I am not 100% sure on that part.

Supported Skills deal (20-39)% more Cold Damage Over Time
This correctly benefits the cold DoT component of both Cold Snap and Vortex. If the wiki says otherwise, it is outdated. (This modifier was added in 3.3.)
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Jun 19, 2018, 7:37:40 PM
Yeah I was talking about the last modifier, which I found strange.
I'll update the wiki accordingly then, thanks for the clarification.
PoE forums ignore list script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/162657

0.4: added "ignore" button. ignore list is now saved locally.
Cold-snap, and Vaal Cold Snap Counterpart, DOT effects do not count toward the Ascendancy Trickster node Patient Reaper for the 70% recovery (in respect to energy shield recharge nor regen as I am running a CI build).

Also I am using Steppan Eard Sorcerer Boots that grant 2% life regeneration on chilled ground, and despite standing on the Chilled ground created by my cold snap, this Regen does not interact with Cold-Snap (again I am CI and maybe this bug only applies to energy shield). I have taken the Zealot's Oath Node on the passive tree so this should interact correctly.
Edit: With further testing, it seems Steppan Eard also does not interact with desecrated ground propertly (i.e. ignore desecrated ground).

This is all per the in game UI not updating once the interaction should take place.

Does the Cold Snap degen not act as a DOT and/or Chilled ground effects?

Character: Fauxton_ColdSnapTrick lvl 75 trickster, CI Cold Snap and Vaal Cold Snap Build.
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Per7tion/characters.
Last edited by Per7tion on Jun 24, 2018, 2:30:40 PM
"
Per7tion wrote:
Cold-snap, and Vaal Cold Snap Counterpart, DOT effects do not count toward the Ascendancy Trickster node Patient Reaper for the 70% recovery (in respect to energy shield recharge nor regen as I am running a CI build).

Life Recovery is not the same stat as Life Regeneration. Your character sheet shows only Regeneration. Life (or Mana/ES) Recovery rate is not shown anywhere, but it is indeed in effect. A 70% bonus should be quite noticeable if you watch or time how fast your life recovers.

"
Also I am using Steppan Eard Sorcerer Boots that grant 2% life regeneration on chilled ground, and despite standing on the Chilled ground created by my cold snap, this Regen does not interact with Cold-Snap (again I am CI and maybe this bug only applies to energy shield). I have taken the Zealot's Oath Node on the passive tree so this should interact correctly.

Your own Chilled Ground does not count for the purpose of this modifier. You must stand on "hostile" Chilled Ground.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Jun 24, 2018, 10:36:09 PM
From my understanding, Life Recovery applies to all recovery related to life (recovery applying same for ES). This includes regeneration, leech, potions, etc. With the Zealots Oath node, the increased life recovery should apply to life regeneration (which transforms into energy shield) AND energy shield regeneration the way Patient Reaper reads as it increases both by 70%.

Again, per the tool tip, I do not see a change, and there is not a change in energy shield regeneration, only ES recharge rate.

GGG please fix the Steppan Eard Explanation to outline the hostile only interaction mechanic, or open up the piece for all interactions to make it more build enabling.
"
Per7tion wrote:
From my understanding, Life Recovery applies to all recovery related to life (recovery applying same for ES). This includes regeneration, leech, potions, etc. With the Zealots Oath node, the increased life recovery should apply to life regeneration (which transforms into energy shield) AND energy shield regeneration the way Patient Reaper reads as it increases both by 70%.

Again, per the tool tip, I do not see a change, and there is not a change in energy shield regeneration, only ES recharge rate.

Increased Life (mana, ES) Recovery Rate applies to the total sum of all over-time life recovery from all sources. This includes regeneration, leech, non-instant flasks, various unique item modifiers, and so on. This total number is not displayed anywhere in your character screen.

The value of the "Life Regenerated per Second" stat, which is displayed in the character screen, is not changed by Life Recovery Rate modifiers. This stat is just one of many that contributes to the total pile of over-time life recovery. This whole pile is then together boosted by Life Recovery Rate modifiers.

"
Per7tion wrote:
GGG please fix the Steppan Eard Explanation to outline the hostile only interaction mechanic, or open up the piece for all interactions to make it more build enabling.

While I agree that the description of the modifier doesn't explicitly mention it; all "while standing on X ground" modifiers work in the same way: They only activate when your character has the "on X ground" debuff. (Whether it is affecting you or not.) You don't get the debuff from your own ground effects for obvious reasons.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Jun 29, 2018, 11:36:07 PM
After the fix in 3.3.1, where you couldn't overlap/stack the dot effect anymore, Cold Snap became close to useless for killing bosses. Cold Snap is build around the dot and not the actual hit. The dot last for 5 seconds and it has very little damage in itself. So you basically run around like a headless chicken for 5 sec and then reapply the dot, which does extremely low damage on it's own. It's not fun and it does so little damage on bosses.

Cold Snap has some major downsides to. You even have to use power/frenzy charges to bypass the 3 second cooldown. Already here, it should scale better than skills, which doesn't consume charges. On top of this, you need to actually kill mobs to generate charges, which is not possible in all encounters, so to get around this, you probably have to use the Winter's Bounty Threshold jewel, so it consumes Power Charges instead, taking up a jewel slot and use something like Orb of Storms, with Power Charge On Critical Support, Increased Critical Strikes Support, to generate Power Charges without killing any mobs, taking up 3 gem slots to.

My point is. You need to invest and sacrifice so much to get this skill to run smoothly and then the dot does almost no damage on bosses. So many downsides and absolutely no rewards in regards of damage or other cool interactions.

GGG saw the stacking as the problem. To me it was the solution. It helped scale the damage, so it was viable against bosses and it made it so much more fun to play, because we didn't have to run around doing nothing for 5 seconds before we had to recast.
About time for Dark Pact and Abyssal Cry to get some love?
Last edited by Zicon on Jul 6, 2018, 2:52:32 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info