[3.3] Generic Fire Trapper - League Starter - Budget Friendly

Hello all so before you read this, i would like to say this is not 100% my own work, i mostly found sources that explained really well how you start out this new league and then compiled the information.

Now before you follow this i would like to point out this is my first guide and i mostly made it so i have all the info i need for when the league starts.

I do hope some of you can use the guide though and that you can come with suggestions if you have some good ones.

Quest Rewards

- Kill Hillock: Explosive trap gem

- Mercy Mission: Quick Silver Flask + Onslaughter support

- Breaking the eggs: Bear trap gem

- Arrival at Prison(Return to Lioneye's watch): Multi Trap Support

- Killing Brutus: Flame Dash

- Arrival at Cavern of Wrath(Return to Lioneye's watch): Fire trap, lightning trap is also a decent choice

- Sharp and Cruel: Trap and Mine damage support

- Intruder in black: Herald of ash

- Kill Gravicius: Flamethrower Trap

Levelling Guide

Starting Out

From the Hillock drops, or from the vendors, try to grab a blue and green linked item, if you get more links that is fine.

Buy a freezing pulse gem and put it in the blue and green item you just bought together with poison support from the tutorial. Keep the viper strike in case you need it for crafting later.

We will be using freezing pulse rather than explosive trap for progress for a while. Still do try and socket it in somewhere in your equipment to level it up as you go.

Do the mercy mission, grab all valuable items you see, but only identify those you can use, sell the rest for shards.

Now we should have an onslaughter support gem, socket this so it is linked to the freezing pulse skill gem and continue on.

When you reach the Mud Flats and find Alva you should follow my "Early Incursion" section on what to do.

At this point look out for wands with blue-blue-green linked sockets and/or green-green-blue linked sockets. This is so you can add either arcane surge to your freezing pulse, or put poison support back onto it, unless you sold poison support.

Additionally you can start using bear trap as a support skill for crowd control and damage buff.

Into the prision

This should last you all the way until you enter the prison where you can start using explosive trap with multi trap to level rather than freezing pulse.

It is at this point you should start looking for a weapon(mostly found on wands) with +1 fire gems, or follow the "wand recipe" down below to make one, alternatively Nessa is the one that sells such items, to make a wand with the following skills socketed:

Explosive trap - Multi Trap support - Combustion Support

With this explosive trap is ready to be used and you can do whatever you want with freezing pulse.

After Merveil's Cave

At this point you can retire Explosive trap to being more of a secondary skill, and replace it with fire trap. We will keep on using bear trap for support. It is at this point you should be able to feel comfortable about doing the incursions.

Ascendency

While you have Defensive and Offensive options depending on if you want survivability or damage, there is also a mandatory ascendency path you should take for this build. I would recommend you pick it for your 2nd or 3rd ascendency first though, as you might want some quick damage or quick survivability.

Recommended:
- Perfect Crime

Defensive Options:
- Born in the Shadow
- Pyromanic

Offensive Option:
- Explosive Expert

To beef up your super traps:
- Chain Reaction

Bandits
Kill them all or Alira

If you are feeling experimental and want to try one of the less taken paths you can take whatever you want. Just remember that to reverse the effect you need 20 orbs of regret and an amulet.

When you get to cavern of wrath you will want to get a want or a weapon with +1 fire gems on the weapon and a socketing that goes green - green - blue and socket fire trap, multi trap and combustion support into it

If you still want to use explosive trap, just link it to whatever damage support you have

Wand Recipe

By selling a ruby ring, alteration orb and magic(blue). This will give the wand +1 to fire gems.

If you don't have a ruby ring you can always make one by selling an iron ring and a red skill gem.

Early Incursion

Skip the early incursion, unless it is a room choice you do not care about, as you are likely not strong enough yet, and since Alva will have the same room choice the next time you meet her.

After you get to prisons gate you should be able to do the incursions, you may wish to wait a bit if you want to be sure that you can handle the rooms.

Once you have finished the first acts boss you can reset the with map in act 2 till you have done your first incursion as at this point you should be able to handle it.

Credit

I would like to thank ZiggyD for his Leveling Guide

User Empire_ over on reddit for his "generic trapper" passive tree

ZakkyTheNinja for answering all of my path of exile, even the stupid and obvious ones.

Last edited by Ichiorochi on Jun 2, 2018, 3:02:09 PM
Last bumped on Jun 2, 2018, 5:40:07 PM
Did some editing and clarified some quests rewards
for bandits?
"
Nippur32 wrote:
for bandits?

Excellent point, Alira, kill them all or what you want. But i would recommend the first two the most
IMO I don't think chain reaction is mandatory anymore. Traps have no cooldowns (except for super traps), so you can literally throw as many as you want. I don't think it is required for them to all trigger when the first one does. Looking at streamers playing traps, it seems good enough without that.

This give room to grab born in the shadows, pyromaniac, AND explosives expert for all defensive qualities. This is coming from a HC player though, so I doubt it matters when playing SC.

Let me know what you think about this.
"
CircAGG wrote:
IMO I don't think chain reaction is mandatory anymore. Traps have no cooldowns (except for super traps), so you can literally throw as many as you want. I don't think it is required for them to all trigger when the first one does. Looking at streamers playing traps, it seems good enough without that.

This give room to grab born in the shadows, pyromaniac, AND explosives expert for all defensive qualities. This is coming from a HC player though, so I doubt it matters when playing SC.

Let me know what you think about this.

I would not say chain reaction is for the trap cooldown, but for the "20% chance traps will trigger an additional time" and chain reactions damage increase as well as its aoe increase.

But you do have a point if you rather want to focus on a small area and be HC viable it might be better to drop chain reaction.
Chain reaction doesn't give "20% chance traps will trigger an additional time", which is why I think it would be important for the 4 ascendancy points to go into:

Perfect Crime
Born in the Shadows
Pyromaniac
Explosives Expert

Though you are very correct that chain reaction's aoe can be a very good QoL. I think it would either be explosive expert or chain reaction depending on which you want to go. Again, this would all be for HC as SC would probably use both explosives expert and chain reaction.
"
CircAGG wrote:
Chain reaction doesn't give "20% chance traps will trigger an additional time", which is why I think it would be important for the 4 ascendancy points to go into:

Perfect Crime
Born in the Shadows
Pyromaniac
Explosives Expert

Though you are very correct that chain reaction's aoe can be a very good QoL. I think it would either be explosive expert or chain reaction depending on which you want to go. Again, this would all be for HC as SC would probably use both explosives expert and chain reaction.

You are right i was just hurrying too much to explain why to pick Chain reaction. For clarification Perfect Crime is the ascendancy that gives 20% chance for an additional proc on traps. Chain reaction buffs, AoE, damage and also makes your trap trigger at the same time. I have edited the guide to reflect this
"
Ichiorochi wrote:
"
CircAGG wrote:

Perfect Crime
Born in the Shadows
Pyromaniac
Explosives Expert

You are right i was just hurrying too much to explain why to pick Chain reaction. For clarification Perfect Crime is the ascendancy that gives 20% chance for an additional proc on traps. Chain reaction buffs, AoE, damage and also makes your trap trigger at the same time. I have edited the guide to reflect this

Thanks so much for talking with me! I haven't played PoE since before there were 10 acts so I am excited to get back into it. I have been looking forward to fire traps and your guide has helped me out a ton. I just am trying to make sure I will have enough defense for HCSSF :)
"
CircAGG wrote:
"
Ichiorochi wrote:
"
CircAGG wrote:

Perfect Crime
Born in the Shadows
Pyromaniac
Explosives Expert

Thanks so much for talking with me! I haven't played PoE since before there were 10 acts so I am excited to get back into it. I have been looking forward to fire traps and your guide has helped me out a ton. I just am trying to make sure I will have enough defense for HCSSF :)

Isn't that the thing with defences, can't have enough of them :D good luck on your journey. Hope you are having better luck finding decent equipment than i am.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info