Suggestion - GGG do AMA on Reddit / QA at Exilecon on Tencent Acquistion

Hi GGG team. First, I'd like to really say I have really appreciated the journey of POE from pre 1.0. I know that there are many people that have journeyed longer and invested more in supporting a game that was refreshing in the way its staff handles its decisions -- responding to community feedback, frequent communication, and ultimately making decisions that aim to reach that tricky balance of player expectations and company vision both in the short and long term for the overall health of the game.

As a rule of thumb, I play any F2P game without investing money in cosmetics or quicker unlocks, etc. POE is my one exception out of all the games I played over many years. This came after having built a certain level of trust --the trust in the company to utilize financial support to take care of its staff and grow the company.

There have been many decisions that I have seen for the game that I really agreed with but at the time seemed to be "bad decisions" from people who would panic and not take you at your word. I've always been in the "wait and see" crowd, willing to trust in a decision and see how things play out.

Unfortunately, many people have had many gaming experiences corrupted or shaped to the point it becomes another gaming experience entirely. That is THE point in which long-time supporters cease financial support and put in less and less time investment until they leave the game entirely.

With all that said,
Spoiler
I tend to provide too much context before getting to a major point- I am well aware :D
this is a pretty big decision that many people have seen change the entire trajectory of companies before GGG. I really hope you understand that a simple post no matter how transparent isn't enough. A post is one way communication. Initially, I found myself replying to the post like everyone else, but I started to feel as though it might not be read - imagine how upsetting that can be for people here.

As part of the "wait and see what happens" crowd, even I have many, many questions not listed in the announcement. These questions range from lack of knowledge of how this all works, conflicting information on Tencent, and worry about many potential scenarios in which despite your best intentions, it doesn't go as expected.

Random list of questions/scenarios I had:
Spoiler
what is meant by investment? what is defined here as a majority stake? doesn't a majority ownership give a lot of power for making decisions? which CEOs were talked to? how many is "many CEOs? what would have not been possible if GGG didn't have this investment? how long is the contract legally binding? what happens if remaining owners lose their shares? what happens if GGG doesn't meet financial goals? does Tencent get to take more control in decision making? can a powerful company like Tencent artificially and indirectly cause GGG to not meet said goals with the purpose of taking control discreetly? what rights and IP are given to Tencent if any? what if your company grows so big so fast that it can't be managed? what happens if IP and ideas get shared to other Tencent games like have been reportedly done in the past? doesn't that seem easy to do when smaller companies grow so big that they can't see what goes on within their own company anymore? was GGG doing well in Asia? was it taking away from other Tencent games and revenue? was GGG dependent on that revenue to continue with its current staffing and business plans? is Tencent making it difficult for POE to continue to be successful, knowing that it needed that revenue to function? where did my capital letters go in these questions?

When you care about something, you think a lot on it, ask questions, and explore possibilities. And these were only the ones I had as I read the post. Some of these may have definite answers, but this should also reflect that a lot of people will have similar questions.

Since a post isn't sufficient at answering the red-button questions -the underlying reason beneath why a question is being asked in the first place, I would like to see a discussion/forum in some form. I'm not a petition starting type of person, but I am posting to express my feelings, thoughts, and to see if anyone shares it.

Until then, I'm going to wait and see how this all pans out.

Last bumped on May 21, 2018, 8:24:20 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
No they shouldn't. No matter what they say, we would still have every league 40 challenge nolife business analysts thinking they know everything and ignore what has been said.

I've been grinning and reading for half an hour already, absolute top comedy!
Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506
ExileCon is currently scheduled for November 2019.

That's a year and a half away. A Q&A on it there may do more harm than good.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Chris did the right thing selling out, as a business owner myself if someone bought my company when I was 40 for millions I would 100% retire, see the world etc.
"
chanlinexile wrote:
Chris did the right thing selling out, as a business owner myself if someone bought my company when I was 40 for millions I would 100% retire, see the world etc.

Yeah,hell if i got 500k profit from selling my,I'd not think twice.
That is 140euro to spend DAILY for 10 years.
You could travel with that just fine for years.

He can always make new company anyways,if there is not some "non-compete clause"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info