Tencent has Invested in Grinding Gear Games

Our Chinese publisher, Tencent, has acquired a majority stake in Grinding Gear Games. We will remain an independent company and there won't be any big changes to how we operate. We want to reassure the community that this will not affect the development and operations of Path of Exile, so we have prepared answers to some questions you may have about this investment.

Why Tencent? Why not another company?

Tencent is one of the largest companies in the world and also one of the largest games publishers in the world. Tencent owns giant franchises like League of Legends and Clash of Clans and has a strong reputation for respecting the design decisions of developers and studios they invest in, allowing a high level of autonomy in continuing to operate and develop their games.

We have been approached by many potential acquirers over the last five years, but always felt that they didn't understand Path of Exile, or that they had other agendas (like signing users up to their services). Tencent's agenda is clear: to give us the resources to make Path of Exile as good as it can be.

Is Grinding Gear Games becoming part of Tencent?

Grinding Gear Games is still an independently-run company in New Zealand. All of its developers still work for Grinding Gear Games and have not become Tencent employees. The founders (Chris, Jonathan and Erik) are still running the company, just like we have been for the last 11 years. Going forward, we will have financial reporting obligations to Tencent but this will have minimal impact on our philosophy and operations.

Will Tencent try to change Path of Exile?

No. We spoke to CEOs of other companies that Tencent has invested in, and have been assured that Tencent has never tried to interfere with game design or operations outside of China. We retain full control of Path of Exile and will only make changes that we feel are best for the game.

Will Path of Exile become Pay to Win?

No. We will not make any changes to its monetisation on our international servers.

Will Grinding Gear Games prioritise the Chinese version of Path of Exile?

The Chinese version of Path of Exile currently has its releases a few weeks after the international version. We are working hard to reduce this gap so that they come out closer together (or even simultaneously), but are not planning to prioritise the Chinese version of Path of Exile ahead of the international version. We want to treat all of our customers equally without any of them being frustrated at missing features or delayed releases.

Will the Chinese version get some features ahead of the international one?

We develop almost all features on the international version. But sometimes, Tencent will request features that they want to try in the Chinese version that we don't plan to roll into the international version. If those features turn out to be a really good fit for both versions, then we of course port them back into the international version.

Will I have to have some type of Tencent account to log in?

No. Nothing is changing with the way you access Path of Exile on the international servers.

What's next for Grinding Gear Games?

A lot more Path of Exile! We are committed to our current schedule of four releases per year, and we have some really big plans for future expansions. If you like what we've done so far, you'll love what we're working on next. As well as multiple 3.x expansions in 2018 and 2019, we've just started development of 4.0.0, which is currently targeted to enter Beta testing in early 2020.
Posted by 
on
Grinding Gear Games
subb'd
Yikes. I knew you were partnered already, but Chinese money is the dirtiest you could possibly take.
(2-3-2019) Buff underused skills (3.23?!)+ selfcast, stop nerfing defense, build in threshold jewels (3.23?!), implement D3-style looting, add death log + MTX preview, actually rework flasks, stop balancing around the .01%, unnerf Harvest, ADD NEW WAYS TO LEVEL, finally implement Loot 2.0
omg so happy!

edit: nvm idk - sounds supa sketch! hope ggg stays on the right PATH (of exile).

skeet
trolled Fox News in an interview... wound up famous. thx for the virility humans!
https://youtu.be/hkK-gI7xAP4
"...I'm one of the heroes." lol
Last edited by Smoke_Dawg on May 20, 2018, 9:21:37 PM
Yikes, this made me nervous when I read the headline. Thankfully, you answered most of the most important questions with regards to how GGG is going to operate. I have PTSD from games dying the moment a Chinese investor gets a majority stake in a gaming company. 99% of the time they turn into pay-to-win unplayable garbage with no new content. Hoping you guys are that 1%...

I can't help but think you guys were still tricked though... looks like I'm not touching any more supporter packs.

*You can tell from the knee-jerk reactions from most of the comments that this is not generally considered a buff.
Last edited by XNtrysyti on May 21, 2018, 2:53:34 AM
In before all the drama follows...
Screw Tencent
Congrats GGG :)
No
great to hear and it's nice to see your commitment and transparency in all of this. Great game and looking forward to 4.0.0 as the next big thing in POE. Incursion looks fun too, good luck to the team and to your game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info