Another take on ZiggyD's RNGsus challenge

I've had quite a long break from playing PoE, I think the last patch I played before this one was Awakening beta! However, I happened to watch ZiggyD's RNGsus challenge videos on Youtube and I immediately fell in love with the concept! I just had to try it myself as soon as I had finished them all (we need more of those btw!).

The rules themselves weren't all that consistent all the time, which is completely understandable since they were pretty much created on the spot so I decided to give myself a go to write down a comprehensive set of rules for this challenge. I give full credit to ZiggyD Gaming for coming up with such an awesome challenge and if ZiggyD is the prophet of RNGsus I might humbly call myself an evangelist who is trying to spread the word!

The core of these rules are taken from ZiggyD:s playthroughs, but I have made some modifications. The whole skill focus system is meant to eliminate some of the "yes or no" rolls that I don't find to be particularly interesting especially if you have to make them all the time. You can use it if you like or just go the true random route. I have played now few games using the rules below and I have had a blast! I hope you find the rules interesting and if you have any suggestions or ideas how to improve them please share! Also, post what kind of characters RNGsus blesses you with!

Lastly, you have to watch ZiggyD:s RNGsus challenge videos. Just do it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQp6v36X2NM

Spoiler
Poe RNG(sus) challenge

1. Class

Roll 1-7 which class you will be playing. Naturally, the only way to play this challenge is hardcore!

2. Name

Roll 3-10 for the number of letters and then randomize the alphabets.

3. Skills

You have to choose how you want RNG(sus) to dictate the skills you will be using throughout the game. You can either go with the true random route or let RNG(sus) choose a skill focus for you. Of course, the true way to decide this is randoming between the two options.

3.1 True random

Every time you acquire a skill gem either from a quest reward or from a drop you roll to see if you can use it or not. If you want to replace a skill in use you have to have rolled to see if you can use the new skill gem in the first place and then roll again to see if you can replace the gem with it. You have to make a real effort to use all the skill gems you have socketed!

3.2 Skill focus

If you choose (or random) skill focus to be your way you are letting RNG(sus) to determine a path for you to follow. You roll 1-4 which type of skill gems you can use throughout the game and you have to interpret to the best of your knowledge which skill gems fit the description. E.g. if you roll melee focus you can only use skill gems with melee or melee support in the description. You can use aura, curse, warcry and golem skills without restrictions. If you don't get the right skill gems as quest rewards you have to buy one from a vendor as soon as it becomes available and rolls for all the right type of skill gems available. This purchase does not count towards your skill gem purchasing limit! For some class/focus combinations (looking at you melee witches!) the true path will be decided later in the game. If you have reached Act 3 without finding skill gems for your focus you can buy 3 skill gems from Sosa after completing the Fixture of fate quest.

1 melee
2 ranged
3 spellcaster
4 mixed

3.2.1 Mixed focus

If the mixed focus was rolled, roll again for primary and secondary focus:

1 melee/ranged
2 melee/spellcaster
3 ranged/melee
4 ranged/spellcaster
5 spellcaster/melee
6 spellcaster/ranged
7 all

You have to use the skills from your primary focus as your main damage dealing source, but you can support them with the skills from your secondary focus. If you rolled all you have to use melee, ranged and spell skill gems as your damage source evenly.

4. Passives

You have to roll for your passive skills. You start by rolling all the possible choices and then continue to follow the path RNG(sus) determined. You only have to roll again when the path branches to multiple nodes. If you complete a circle and the path closes you have to roll again on every possible node that is available to you.

5. Respec points

The respec points you get throughout the game from mission rewards or orbs of regret drops are a way for RNG(sus) to give you a chance to express your free will. You can use these when you want and give you a reroll on the passive tree.

6. Quest rewards, bandits, ascendancy etc.

You have to roll for all the choices the game gives you from quest rewards and bandits to the ascendancy class you can take. You can make your own rules how you roll for league mechanics etc.

7. Currency usage

If you want to use currency on an item, roll for all the applicable currencies which one you can use. Alternatively, you can call for currency usage on a drop. For example, if a transmutation shard drops, you can call to use it on the next dropped belt or if a ring you want to use drops, you can call to use the next dropped applicable currency on it.

8. Item drops

Item drops are already fully controlled by RNG(sus) so you can use all the items and skill gems you find with the restrictions mentioned above.

9. Buying from vendors

You can buy items and skill gems from vendors, but you have to roll from all the choices the vendor has to offer. For example, if you want to buy a dagger and the vendor is selling 4 different ones, you have to roll 1-4 which one you get. You can only buy one skill gem per area and you have to roll for all the possible gems of the type you want. For example, if you want a ranged support skill, you have to roll from all the ranged support skills the vendor is selling. You can buy skill gems from the masters more than once but you have to roll for all the gems the master is selling to determine which one you get.

10. Having doubts?

If you ever find yourself in a situation where you don't know if a skill gem is applicable to your skill focus, if you can use currency for an item or anything at all you make a roll for it. Let RNG(sus) decide!

11. Making new rules

You can add to these rules, but only if they increase the randomness in some way!

12. Breaching the rules

Mistakes do happen, but in order to redeem yourself you have to make a sacrifice. If you brake the rules above in any way you have to destroy a random piece of equipment you are wearing, not including the socketed gems.

13. Tools to use

You can use any method you choose to make the rolls, but here ar some useful links to get you started:
https://www.random.org/
http://www.dave-reed.com/Nifty/randSeq.html
https://poebuildroulette.github.io/
Last edited by Vindicare114 on Apr 22, 2018, 10:44:24 AM
Last bumped on Apr 22, 2018, 11:40:06 AM
You're wrong. I don't have to watch anything.

Can't understand the guy. He talks wrong.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Apr 22, 2018, 11:06:28 AM
"

That is your free will speaking. Somewhere when you least expect it, it will happen!
Last edited by Vindicare114 on Apr 22, 2018, 11:05:02 AM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

Can't understand the guy. He talks wrong.

What, in a foul mood b/c of having some shitty exams to mark again Shags?
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
Nope. Don't need an excuse to be in a foul mood. My ground state.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info