(3.2) Crab People,Crab People! - Full Physical Sunder Jugg - [Stun, 75% Bleed DPS, Budget 5L <2EX]

Necessary Intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV5wmDhzgY8

Good day exiles, welcome to the guide. Before we get into it you need to ask yourself a couple questions. Have you ever felt the need to unleash your inner crab? Do you sometimes feel the urge to shuffle sidestep everywhere? Do you habitually form claw-like pincers with your hands just because? Well do I have the build for you! Join the calling and look like crab, but talk like people.

Why is being a crab so cool? See below!
-Juggernaut
-Sunder
-100% physical damage
-Stun/Bleed focused (uber izaro stunlocked with 5L & level 17 sunder, 75% total DPS is bleed)
-Utilizes an interesting off-hand stat stick to greatly improve stun
-Crab weapon/Crab armor
-Aspect of the Crab

Stun Explained:
There are three major components to stunning an Enemy:
1) Stun threshold
2) Stun chance
3) Stun duration

For all intents and purposes this is how you could look at it in terms of stats on items.
1) Reduced enemy stun threshold
2) Damage
3) Increased stun duration on enemies.

For further intents and purposes '1)' is the most important stat, I cannot stress that enough. Followed closely by '2)' and a little further off but still important '3)'.

If you have 0% reduced enemy stun threshold you have to do 10% of enemies life in one hit to have the minimum chance to stun (or 50% of an enemies life for a 100% chance to stun). For example with a boss like shaper, which has 20 million HP, you would need to do 2 million damage to him in one hit to even have a chance at stunning him. There is no build out there that is currently capable of this.

With 125% reduced enemy stun threshold, which being a crab makes entirely possible, you need to do about 0.82% of an enemies life in one hit to reach that minimum threshold. That's 164,000 damage to shaper in one hit, which is still a lot, but entirely possible if the ruthless support gem is triggered and you hit into the higher regions of your damage on hit standard deviation curve. Stacking reduced enemy stun threshold is our number one priority.

'2)' doesn't need much explaining from the damage perspective, the more damage you have the better. The formula for stun chance (%) = 200 * (Damage / Defender's Max Effective Life). If the stun chance is less than or equal to 20% damage is ignored.

'3)' stun duration = 0.35 seconds * (attacker's stun duration - defenders stun recovery). A defender's stun recovery is effectively none as far as ive found searching the forums so stun duration = 0.35 seconds * (our stun duration). i.e. if we have 6 endurance charges with Juggernaut's unflinching node we 60% increased stun duration so a stunning hit will last 0.35 * 1.6 = 0.56 seconds. It's important to note the swirling stun animation does not appear above the enemies head unless you stun for 0.7 seconds or longer , despite the minimum stun duration being 0.35 seconds (which still gives you all the benefits of stunning). As you can probably decipher, '3)' is only important if you actually stun the enemy in the first place.

In order to stunlock an enemy (i.e. enemy is in a permanent state of stun and can't perform an action) you need to meet the following criteria:
(Stun Chance) * (Stun Duration) > 1 / (Attacks per Second * Chance to Hit)

If you stun an enemy for say 1.3 seconds on average and have a 50% chance to stun then you are stunning an enemy for 0.65 seconds on average. if you have 1.5 attacks per second and a 90% chance to hit you are hitting the enemy every ~0.74 seconds on average. In this case the enemy would not be stunlocked.

Bleed Explained:
Overwhelmed by the stun explanation my fellow crabile? Thats OK because bleed is a lot simpler.

With crimson tide we can stack up to 8 bleeds on our enemies.
In order to optimize this:
(% Bleed Chance) * (Attacks Per Second) * (Bleed Duration) * (% Chance to Hit) = 8 or close to it as possible. This build has the goal of getting as close to that number as possible.

With Crimson bleed we get 8 * 35% of weapon damage = 280% of weapon damage. Layered on with chance to bleed/vulnerability skills (including a reduction for some stats on our tree that only add to hit damage and not ailment [bleed] damage) bleed becomes about 75% of our total damage per second (once a consistent 8 bleeds are applied onto the enemy through auto attacking)

I have to highlight this again because yes you read that correctly, we stun everything (that can be stunned) yet 75% of our DPS comes from bleed which has nothing to do with stun.

Gear:

Can't find a rare offhand stat stick/rare belt? Don't be crabby, below items will work almost exactly the same!

Jewels:

Gear Explained:
Callinellus Malleus:
Gets us 50% of the way to crab transfiguration. Is a 350 DPS weapon with slow attack speed that gets up to 200% local increased physical damage which synergizes well with the large amount of flat physical damage added by other items. Can roll up to 40% reduced enemy stun threshold which on its own takes us to only requiring 6% of enemy life per hit to have a chance to stun (instead of the base 10%). Bonus of allowing our physical damage to chill is nice too.
Cost: 1-5 chaos
Alternatives: None

Craicaenn's Carapace:
Gets us the remaining 50% of the way to fully crab glory. This armor is simply ... STRONG. +2600 base armor, 60% resistance, 120 life, and cannot be inflicted with bleeding is pretty ridiculous to start with. Aspect of the crab with the armor gives the equivalent physical reduction of 7.5 endurance charges! Then once we take that hit we get a lengthy immortal call which prevents us from taking physical damage so the charges build right back up for the next hit we take (this is assuming we take a big enough hit to trigger immortal call which is often the case in dangerous situations). The endurance charges come back quickly as we stun.
Cost: 20 chaos for a 5L

Rare off-hand Mace:
The main stat you must have on this are 15% reduced enemy stun threshold implicit and at least 13% reduced enemy stun threshold explicit. I got increased stun duration on mine as i think that is the 2nd most important for the offhand. Other nice stats are increased bleeding damage, increased area of effect if you have stunned recently, increased aoe per 50 strength (if you manage to get both of the latter two it will be about 60% AOE at 500 strength, crazy good for clear speed), increased physical weapon damage while dual wielding, +strength or +resists.
Cost: depends, found mine for 5 chaos
Alternatives: Gorebreaker

Redblade Tramplers:
10% reduced enemy stun threshold, +flat physical damage along with +life, movement speed, resists. Not much to say here these are best in slot for a stun build.

Rare Life/Res/Mana Leech Gloves:
Get your life/res requirements here.
Cost: depends, found mine for 20 chaos
Alternatives: Haemophilia (for the bleeding enemies explode dealing 5% of life as physical damage, downsides are no life and 25% reduced bleed duration which needs to be made up)

Impresence:
Every stat is useful. 100% reduced vulnerability curse mana reservation gives us a free aura when paired with blasphemy support.
Cost: <10chaos

Rare Fortify on Stun/Reduced Enemy Stun Threshold Belt:
No explanation needed, try to get life/resists too. If you can't find a decent one use perseverance.
Cost: depends, found mine for 15 chaos
Alternatives: Perseverance (no reduced enemy stun threshold but provides free onslaught while you have fortify)

Warden's Brand:
Frenzy Charge generation and adds great flat DPS (35 average) for stun/bleed.
Cost: <1-5 chaos

Abyssus:
Best in slot with flat DPS (50 average) added for stun/bleed.

Rare Life/Res/Physical Damage Ring:
Get your life/res requirements here.
Cost: depends, found mine for 15 chaos

Pros/Cons:
Pros:
- 100% Crab certified
- Capable of stunning everything
- Bleed adds some serious DPS for minimal investment
- Very tanky
- Easy to level
- Easy to gear (mainly uniques worn + if needed some resistance node nearby in passive tree)

Cons:
- If you play another build you may turn into a Crabby McGee

Passive Skill Tree:
Level 80:
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/3.2.1/AAAABAEBAQHnBS0Gxg48EuEUIBRxGJEZ6RpVHHUhNCFgKCoshS_XMZ41kjXvNug6UjrhOu07O0CgQT9FmkZpRrdKyE3jUEdR5ldUWK9aGlqfXhNfP2CRYMRhUma2Z1hoZW6qbzt07XZ_dqx3U3gNeu97jHvDfXN-4IFBggeC5ITEhVKGYIqvirOLT5ARkc6S0JOolIeXeZgKm2qeV57FplenMKlurQmtjbQvtfK2pLvtvJ--vMABwBrBi8sez37SONNv2L3ZYdl83Cfelt-y5FHkreoY7dfvDu9O843z3fSD-Ov-jw==?accountName=link1313&characterName=AspectOfTheCrabPeople

Gems:
Armor:
Sunder + Melee Physical Damage + Chance to Bleed + Brutality + Maim (Ruthless is 6th support)

Weapon 1:
Cast When Damage Taken + Firestorm + Blind

Weapon 2:
Blasphemy + Vulnerability + Arctic Armour

Helmet:
Cast When Damage Taken + Immortal Call + Increased Duration + Flame Golem

Gloves:
Leap Slam + Faster Attacks + Fortify + Blood Magic

Boots:
Vengeance + Bloodlust + Brutality + Purity of Fire (can be swapped for another Purity if you need)

Leveling/Gameplay:
Leveling is fairly straightforward considering we are a crab. I actually preferred to use cleave until level 36 (it instinctively felt like cleave was a more crab-like skill than sunder).

Below can carry you to level 36:
-take resolute technique keystone for leveling (use past level 36 , use until you get undeniable ascendency point)
-2x blackheart rings --> 2x kaoms sign (or kaom's way if your rich)
-2x redbeak swords --> 2x aurumvorax swords
-overwhelmimg odds jewel (for free fortify with cleave)
-endurance charge on melee stun support
-onslaught support
-3x quicksilver flasks, 1 life flask, 1 mana flask
-hatred/herald of ash

At level 36 you can equip hrimnor's dirge and sunder will pretty much stun everything (don't use brutality support until end-game gear is on at ~level 66, use elemental damage with attacks until then). Kitava can be an issue as he has unwavering and cannot be stunned.

Pantheon:
Soul of Solaris:
Very effective at further mitigating damage from AOE, elemental, critical strikes, and ailments. Captured shadow of the vaal is the best part as it's like a poor man's unrelenting.

Soul of Shakari:
An extremely underrated node. Most players have -60% chaos resistance. The 5% reduced chaos damage taken really puts in some high numbers when we are in the negative. Immune to poison is great as 'monsters poison on hit' is a common map mod and physical damage is the most common damage type.

Ascendancy Passives:
1) Unflinching:
Mainly used to crab shuffle our way to the unyielding node. +1 endurance charge is nice. 25% to instead gain max endurance charges instead of 1 charge keeps our average endurance charges higher than it otherwise would have been which helps for the next time immortal call is triggered and increases the benefits on average from unyielding.

2) Unyielding:
Our bread and crab meat spread as a stun build. Minor node leading to it gives 20% increased stun duration Endurance charge on stun allows us to drop the endurance charge on melee stun support. With 6 endurance charges we get a further 60% increased stun duration. 30% increased area of effect transforms sunder into an even more viable trash clear speed skill and effectively is the same AOE as a level 1 increased area of effect support gem.

3) Unbreakable:
This node is just ridiculous for us. Not only does the minor node leading to it give 20% increased stun duration but unbreakable itself effectively provides physical immunity by doubling our crab shell armor by ~+2600 base armor and providing insane life regen against physical attackers. 5% further all damaged reduced is just icing on the crab cake.

4) Undeniable:
A case could be made for going resolute technique and going for unrelenting or unstoppable instead. I don't like unrelenting because although we are very much often at max endurance charges we are not always at max endurance charges so the best part of it is not always active due to immortal call. (8% reduced elemental damage taken at max charges) - and we don't need any more physical reduction and for chaos damage we do have Soul of Shakari taken. Unstoppable is only good for certain situations i.e. Elder's slow, temp chains maps, or against significant cold damage.

Bandits:
Because pledging our allegiance to the almighty Craiceann is not an option we must eliminate his competition for 2 more passive points.

Offense:
Although this is more of a defensive build we can stun everything and have good offensive options, such as:
-Stun (the most important)
-Bleed
-Maim
-Frenzy Charges on stun
-Vulnerability
-~175 added average flat physical damage through gear/chance to bleed support
-Lion's roar flask
-Flame Golem
-Offhand stat stick

Defense:
We are basically an armored crab on crack, the layers of defense are listed below:
-Stun (the most important)
-5k+life at level 90 (may seem low on paper but our EHP is much higher)
-Blind
-Maim
-Fortify on stun
-Endurance Charges
-Juggernaut Skills
-Arctic Armour
-Purity of Fire
-Aspect of the Crab charges
-Immortal Call with up to 6 endurance charges
-Chill from Callinellus Malleus
-Life Leech is easy to obtain as a 100% physical damage build (Hematophagy node, gloves, ring, jewels, etc.)

Flasks:

Videos:
level 81 - 5 link (no ruthless):
https://youtu.be/y_rzhsCSOcU
https://youtu.be/8PuAO-mi0Qg
https://youtu.be/lQkdGBSgebM

FAQ:
Why not Tidebreaker?
Tidebreaker can only get 30% reduced enemy stun threshold, our dual weapon gets us 70%. Tidebreaker also adds massive flat damage instead of % increased damage on the weapon itself. This doesn't synergize well with the flat damage added by gear and support gems as added flat damage gets further boosted by the % increased damage.

Why not stun support gem, doesn't it add more DPS when you're trying to stun?
Yes, yes it does you smart crab padawan you! in fact 50% extra threshold reduction it provides assuming we were at our max would be the equivalent of doing 100% more damage! I decided against adding it because we already can stun everything and i did not want to take away from the bleed DPS.

Is reduced enemy stun threshold implicit global?
Yes.

Is "increased % physical damage while dual wielding" on your offhand global?
Yes

Your offhand does no damage, shouldn't I get one with higher damage?
The weapon damage and attack speed properties have no effect as sunder attacks with the main weapon only. You still get dual wield bonus's to your main hand though.

What if I don't care about bleed DPS or actual DPS and want to just straight up stunlock everything?
Well then you are in the wrong build! But seriously here's the steps:
0) Change to berserker for more DPS
0.1) Put in the stun support gem in main skill
1) Put on loreweave armor
2) Take off purity of fire/arctic armor/aspect of crab and put in hatred/aspect of the spider (with fenumus gloves)
3) Use an off-hand stat stick such as below:

The Sign-Off
Well that is it exiles, thanks for reading! I won't have a lot of time to answer questions as IRL is getting pretty crabbed.

Last edited by link1313 on Apr 6, 2018, 10:31:14 PM
Last bumped on Apr 6, 2018, 9:39:46 AM
Been there, wasted time, damage is atrocious.
Psst, the idiom you are trying to use is "for all INTENTS AND PURPOSES." #eggcorns
I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief; because there will be so much to look forward to.
"
Psst, the idiom you are trying to use is "for all INTENTS AND PURPOSES." #eggcorns

Hahaha , well thank you, fixed! My strength is not grammar.

"
Been there, wasted time, damage is atrocious.

I don't feel like this is true. I take more offensive nodes than defensive nodes and add lots of damage from gear. I wouldn't have posted the build if it couldn't clear red tier maps comfortably. Its not like im reaching those stun thresholds by socketing the stun support like a prior build you have used might have.

Its not a 3 million DPS blade flurry glass cannon build I didn't advertise it as one. But that's because it only needs 10% of that damage to stun everything so that's what i aimed for. The character is defensive focused too. (I see from your other characters you play a Ngamahu's Flame cycloner and a kinetic blast wander, this build is not going to reach that kind of clear speed)
Last edited by link1313 on Mar 27, 2018, 10:23:18 AM
"
link1313 wrote:
(I see from your other characters you play a Ngamahu's Flame cycloner and a kinetic blast wander, this build is not going to reach that kind of clear speed)

You're snooping my profile for whatever reason. I forgot to make it private last time I used POB...

The chracters you bring up are many many months old, and in standard. But I digress. The trash clear with Sunder and the crab set is decent, it's single target that's really bad.

By bad I mean compared to...well, most any other build.
Last edited by DamageIncorporated on Mar 29, 2018, 2:12:30 AM
Found time to post a few videos, signing off again for awhile!
I am currently leveling this build and am loving it! However, do you think it is worth to take Resolute Techniques for this build? Or does accuracy not matter?
"
Borothos wrote:
I am currently leveling this build and am loving it! However, do you think it is worth to take Resolute Techniques for this build? Or does accuracy not matter?

Glad your liking it!

Yes , take resolute technique for leveling sorry that should have been in the guide added now. Respec out of it once you get undeniable.

Nice offhand weapon! The physical damage crafted on it is local, you should craft physical leeched as life or mana instead.
Last edited by link1313 on Apr 6, 2018, 9:47:18 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info