custom servers?

lets say someone has the knowledge, money and time to make their own custom/private server.

what would say person have to do for the service to be allowed to exist without breaking any laws?

or will the idea get rejected no matter what and only ggg themselves and time will tell if custom servers will exist?
I usually do not read popular posts again after i made a comment on it, unless it's one of my own. I wish to have a Black robed Grim Reaper micro set in game one day, grant my wish, GGG
Last bumped on Feb 14, 2018, 1:39:47 PM
Yes, private servers would be breaking the ToS and GGG would not be ok with it for any reason.

You would also be breaking copyright laws
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Feb 12, 2018, 10:54:23 AM
"
VoidExilePoE wrote:
lets say someone has the knowledge, money and time to make their own custom/private server.

what would say person have to do for the service to be allowed to exist without breaking any laws?

or will the idea get rejected no matter what and only ggg themselves and time will tell if custom servers will exist?

It is entirely illegal pretty much anywhere in the world to create a server that replaces the GGG version. So, your final comment is accurate: GGG are the only people who can determine if private servers are permitted.

If you really, really think you have some sort of winning idea about them, I'd suggest you get in touch with GGG with an appropriate business proposal and see if they are interested in working with you on it.

Expect this to require lawyers and contracts, though. This isn't a casual undertaking.

(You are, of course, absolutely welcome to build your own game, just as GGG did, in the ARPG genre, and it can do whatever you want. Just don't copy anything directly from GGG or any other company, of course.)
both of you are missing the point! i made the post with the intention that whoever has the money, time and wisdom will work something out with ggg and i don't feel like wasting email supports time by asking them directly, this is only a "what if" somebody had all of these.
i really wish custom servers existed, i really do, but i don't have the power to do it myself, neither do i want to deal with any legalties, i just wish there was support for some of these enjoyable events that could be made from it.
I usually do not read popular posts again after i made a comment on it, unless it's one of my own. I wish to have a Black robed Grim Reaper micro set in game one day, grant my wish, GGG
If GGG allowed it, there is nothing stopping anybody from making a custom PoE server. In fact one already exists: the PoE servers in China are run by a separate company and according to (for the most part) their own rules. The Garena servers in eastern Europe used to be the same before they were merged with the "main" PoE servers.

But as far as some random person waving a stack of cash at GGG and asking for permission to make their own server for themselves and their three friends just because they want to make some small change to the game rules, that's not going to happen in a million years.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Feb 14, 2018, 6:59:29 AM
I think the word "server" may have been a bit of a distraction.

Is this the kind of thing you were thinking of? It's an idea which GGG is open to, though would occur on servers they themselves own - which is likely something they'd insist on.

"
Chris wrote:
Why are you withholding the option to create a Custom League with a player's own set of modes?

This isn't a case of withholding an option - it's a system we haven't implemented yet. There's quite a lot of player demand for custom leagues, so we're likely to assign it to an update in the future. As I'm sure you can imagine, there's quite a lot of work that would need to go into the interface for creating and managing these leagues.

Source: Developer Q&A - Answers Part 3 (Apr 3, 2017)
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
VoidExilePoE wrote:
both of you are missing the point! i made the post with the intention that whoever has the money, time and wisdom will work something out with ggg and i don't feel like wasting email supports time by asking them directly, this is only a "what if" somebody had all of these.
i really wish custom servers existed, i really do, but i don't have the power to do it myself, neither do i want to deal with any legalties, i just wish there was support for some of these enjoyable events that could be made from it.

Oh. I'm sorry, I thought you actually wanted to know how this could be done. You should consider, in future, posting your custom league ideas in the "Feedback and Suggestions" section, rather than asking oblique questions about third party licensing issues.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info