Tencent's Paragon finally declared terminally ill, to be euthanised in April 2018.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/26/16937922/paragon-offline-date-april-2018

...All because Tencent didn't want their precious LoL challenged by another of its own MOBAs. They 'let go' of the creative lead behind Paragon from when it was solely owned by Epic Games, and replaced him with a Tencent expert in free to play mobile game monetisation methods.

I suppose Fortnite probably has something to do with it but Paragon was heading towards the gutter long before that game was announced. Tencent's involvement likely started as a cash-grab for a troubled IP with a solid engine behind it, as represented by the addition of blatant pandering characters like the K-Pop inspired Shinbi, but once it became clear they had no idea what to do with Paragon they just started spinning their own bullshit about how all these changes would 'fix' the game when all they did was overcomplicate it, drive players away and make it less and less of the Smite-style MOBA with shiny-ass graphics everyone signed up for. It was so incompetently handled that I genuinely can't believe it wasn't deliberate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/paragon/comments/6yax64/for_those_wondering_how_we_got_to_this_point_i/ -- I've read this beefore, but in light of what's happened since it was posted, it seems almost prescient.

And this is the same Tencent that GGG are currently in bed with...

While I believe the relationship between GGG and Tencent is currently a good thing for all involved, I do not for a second allow myself to forget how fucking evil and soulless Tencent really are. I hope Chris can keep on top of this one. I don't imagine it's easy to hold onto the tail of a fully-grown, rampant Chinese dragon when you're also trying to steer a much smaller but no less demanding Kiwi Hydra...

edit: Interesting and almost certainly related, gacha-style mtxes are being cracked down in China, so it'd make sense that Tencent would want to use their Western properties to keep pushing that button. Paragon definitely got more gacha over the past year and that definitely drove players away, since Western gamers just aren't as forgiving of gacha as Asian players, as evidenced by the number of angry loot-box threads we've seen around here.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jan 26, 2018, 8:45:47 PM
Last bumped on Jan 26, 2018, 8:07:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info