Exp penalty change

Wanted to suggest an experince change to allow people who die more often than they should to eventually be able to reach lvl 100 in their lifetime.

Basicly when you die instead of losing a flat 10% of your current xp, make it so you lose either 10% flat or half of the xp earned since your last death (whichever is lowest)
EX:
rip at 50%xp-> 40%-> grinds to 45%-> rips to 42.5%->rips again still at 42.5%
currently 50%->40%->45%->35%->25%

advantages:
* No xp is ever trully lost, you are always making progress towards the next lvl while deaths are still penalized. Therefore no more feeling of despair because you just wasted all the exp you just earned the last 3 days and you will never actually reach the next level.
* encourages revenge. Currently there is no xp penalty when you are at 0%, by this change is is also no penalty right after a rip so you are free to go right back in and take revenge on that beyond boss without worriest of losing even more. AS you get back into mapping you'll progressivelly get more penalties so this changes has no effect on people who don't rip very often (unles they were below 20% of a level, then they lose less xp than normal)
* Give the common player the lvl 100 experience, yes it will take a while to get there but for a consistent ripper would still be able to achieve it with twice the effort.
* no effect in HC characters...

disadvantages:

* none imo since encouraging people to go back and maybe rip again is only a plus in my book
Last bumped on Jan 26, 2018, 11:06:36 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
i could live with this iteration of exp loss.
currently the system is quite demoralizing as you have to choose to have fun or grind easier content

I want to give ggg more money but i am holding off until they address some of the more archaic practices and perhaps breath some more life back into diversity.

they need new "experts" who actually play the game.
The XP penalty should go back to being 15%.

It's easy to get better at the game.

But these artificial impediments to progessing need to go, as well. No sliders for effects, visual and audio clutter that really reduce immersion, RMT, and the secondary market manipulators, and lastly no documentation explanations rules-delineating nor a paper doll that works like Path of Building.

The original vision for the game is great, now it just need to take into consideration the new exigencies, the new world that GGG and the game live within.
I dunno, I can see how this would reduce frustration, but it is exactly that frustration that makes leveling up feel like an accomplishment.

Earlier I died twice to some map boss just as I was close to leveling (it was the green labyrinth goddess with extra projectiles + twinned, the amount of green balls was crazy), and it was really demotivating... but a few hours later I launched the game back up, ran some maps, got back the exp and leveled. And it was the best level up I had this league, just because this one wasn't easy, and I was aware that if I played badly, I wouldn't level up at all.

Your change would remove this, as you'd always level up, like you already said. I don't see that as a good thing. It means levels can be simply "grinded out", without any risk other than slowing it down a bit. I'd find that boring.
Can we just put in an XP penalty slider, going from 0 to 100%, that anyone can adjust to fit their playstyle?

Would kill these discussions off for good.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Jan 23, 2018, 8:18:55 PM
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
Can we just put in an XP penalty slider, going from 0 to 100%, that anyone can adjust to fit their playstyle?

but then people would complain that "casuals" were having fun and there was nothing they could do about it!
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:

That's the dumbest idea I've seen in a long time
"
Miathan51 wrote:
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:

That's the dumbest idea I've seen in a long time

Thanks!
This is how it is supposed to work.

You die = lost exp
You die = lost exp
You die = lost exp
You die = lost exp

Thats fucking annoying .

You die = lost exp
You die = lost exp
You die = lost exp
You die = lost exp

WTF am i doing wrong here, why do i keep dying.
Study build, tweek it, improve it.

Do the content you were dying at and not die

WOO lesson learned.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
It is already possible to push content without risk when you hit a new level, since you can not delevel then. I think that is the time to experiment fully and do rebalancing of your character so that it can deal with the stuff you're about to throw yourself into.
Within a finite leveling system it should definitely be harder to obtain the final points, I'd even go as far as saying it should only be possible for a small percentage of players that really dedicate themselves towards that goal, after all, it's the ultimate leveling reward in this game, besides it does already seem to be very obtainable within the 3 month league period as has been proven by many.

You might want to gain a new insight by playing hardcore for a change and discover a perspective of interacting more with the game mechanics when you find yourself mindlessly pushing into content that slaughters you over and over. After all, the softcore exp penalty is already far more forgiving compared to the hardcore experience.

There can certainly be a rush in pushing beyond calculated security with potentially higher reward and interesting encounters, but I think it's great that the exp penalty keeps that in check the way it does now.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info