Brainstorm - Templar or Scion?

Hi, I'm planning an Ancestral (or maybe Lightning Tendrils?) totem build for the new league, and I'm having trouble deciding between going Templar-Hierophant or Scion-Hierophant.

Note that I'm currently planning to go full Life with Blood Magic in any case, as well as Kaom's Heart, and possibly Roots as well, with a shield. This has been an ambition of mine since Roots got a whole lot better.

Templar-Hierophant has the advantages of:
1) Being able to easily generate endurance charges with Romira's Banquet - in fact it's the only way I know to get them up fast enough for my liking at the start of a boss fight (since Juggernaut doesn't always work);
2) Getting 3 totems through his ascendancy and retaining the ability to deal damage himself, which is needed to apply certain debuffs;
3) With the new rares in the league he can potentially get a soft 7L (note: I say soft, because there's no way to get quality on the supported by affixes that I've seen). 3 Totems with 40% AoE [or 20% (extra) elemental penetration for Lightning Tendrils] is no joke.

Meanwhile the Scion:
1) Saves the ring slot for something more useful, like a second rare ring with life, maybe some relevant damage, and elemental resistances (relevant bases: steel, coral, unset if needed);
2) Can still get a soft 6L with 3 totems (with Ancestral Bond) in the helmet slot, during the new league;
3) Has more skill points and an easier time maxing out Dex and Int for support gems;
4) Has access to another useful half-ascendancy, whereas the pure Hierophant with blood magic wastes all that mana regen and 2/3 of Illuminated Devotion.

Which one do you guys think has the advantage?
Last bumped on Nov 23, 2017, 11:04:26 AM
I think that both are perfectly viable, and really, your decision point is likely: do you enjoy the voice acting of one or the other more? (...because you don't have a compelling advantage on either side otherwise.)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info