[3.0] MAGMAFROST INQUISITOR | Farm Shaper/UberAtziri and fast-clear maps on a Budget!

Welcome to Build-Guide for the MagmaFrost Inquisitor!

As all my other builds I always aimed at creating a well rounded kit that feels good to play, from leveling to the absolute Endgame. This Build uses the Spells Frostbolt for its solid map-clearing-potential alongside Magma Orb for heavy single-target damage.

If you have played my ELE CLAW INQUISITOR BUILD, I can assure you, that this is at least as good in overall performance.

What is this Build and what can it do?

This build comfortably farms all the hardest content in the game with little effort. Shaper and Uber Atziri as well as all Guardians pose no threat at all. By strickly using spells and mostly affordable items this build is very cost effiecient and scales largely by just leveling everything. You need very little expensive stats on most rare items and you dont even need to have 6L for the hardest content. This is all backed up with the same great defensive layers that already backed up my claw build.

Disclaimer: Unfortunately I will NOT respond to private messages. I will only do gearchecks in this thread, so others can step in to help as well. I cant respond to everyone here but I try my very best.

Pros:

- fast map clearing
- strong single target damage
- fantastic league starter
- fantastic league finisher
- tailor made for Abberath's leveling
- budget friendly
- deals well with reflect
- Hardcore viable

Cons:

- you still have to dodge some things
- no overpowered clearspeed like Vaal Power Siphon
- no overpowered bosskills like magma/cascade Mines
- Tempest Binding not confirmed to stay in the game in 3.1
- hexproof and no-leech maps are quite painful and should be rerolled

Important Information:
Spoiler
I encourage everyone to NOT ONLY follow along for the guide but to UNDERSTAND what your building.

If this is one your first characters and you want to improve as a player, this a great oppurtunity to dig into the machanics of PoE.

Understanding where your damage is coming from and how your defenses click together is very important in this game.

I will GLADLY help anyone in this thread with questions regarding the mechanics. If you can undestand what where doing, you can in return help me with fresh ideas for further improving this build

Path of Building Pastebin (for advanced users who dont require a full guide):

Required Items:
Spoiler

None actually, but highly recommeneded are these:

Doedres Ring is very nice and saves 3 points for getting the additional curse. Alternativly you can use Windscream boots (see build section for further information).

If GGG decides to rid us of Tempest Binding the build works just on MagmaOrb alone. You need to switch some gems around to turn into an effiecient map clearer (more on that in the Gems and Links Section).

The boot enchant is your tier1 priority to get since your would otherwise only leech off your Warlords Mark aura wich doesnt hit far away enemeys, wich makes the playstyle very uncomfortable.

Video Content (Shaper/Uber etc.):

How the Build works (Offense/Defense:
Spoiler

Offense:
The builds clearspeed is achieved by using Frostbolt alongside its threshold jewels that enables us to scale it without having to take less-multipliers from GMP. The jewels also greatly enhance the range of frostbolt to basically always off-screen large groups of monsters. Socketed into the Tempest Binding Helmet, Frostbolt generates Frenzy charges to speed us up.

Magma Orb has the ability to hit the same target multiple times, if it has slow enough projectile speed. Getting about 500k dps in Path of Building against Shaper means we can hit him three times with the same projectile, resulting in effectivly 1,5 million dps.

Defense:
Frostbolts have hard hitting cold damage and will freeze and chill any monster up till T16 and even some high tier Bosses. But it never hits hard enough to oneshot you on a reflect monster if youre using the Yugol-Pantheon Power.

As a life-based caster-build it was traditionally very hard to get good defenses especially against large packs of extremely hard hitting monsters (like in Alluring Abyss). Evasion alongside Blasphemy/Enfeeble) was rarely utilized in the past so I tried to give it a shot. My other build (ELE CLAW INQUISITOR) already faired extremly well with this method. It turned out to work quite nicely so you can even withstand the huge barrages of Vaal Constructs in Alluring Abyss or hard rolled T16 maps. Enfeeble complements Evasion builds extremely well since it reduces the enemys chance to hit and also reduces the already rarely occuring crits they have. Face Tanking Minotaur is even possible with no flasks up.

My Gear and Stats:
Spoiler

Offensive-Hideout-Stats Magma Orb: Golem UP, NO Istruments, No Charges

Offensive-Hideout-Stats Frostbolt: Golem UP, NO Istruments, No Charges

Defensive-Stats-Hideout: Golem UP, NO Istruments, No Charges

How to Gear your character:
Spoiler

In General you should aim to always get your life values as high as possible on any piece of gear. With my gear I was able to achieve 6,1k HP. Survivability is the utmost important factor of your enjoyment. Your resistances should be at 109%, so you can safely run Maps with the "Elemental Weakness" mod.

Weapon:

Doryanis is the best weapon for scaling elemental damage of any-kind. A well rolled rare sceptre or dagger can do the trick until you can afford one. Dont use wands cause those dont work with shield charge.

Shield:

A good rare shield with Spelldamage, Spellcrit and Castspeed alongside alot of Life and some resists is the way to go.

Helmet:

Tempest Binding is imho one of the greatest additions to the game. This is for our frostbolt but should have the Magma Orb enchant.

Armor:

Either a good Rare Armor or Carcass Jack are viable. I prefer having a higher life pool and good resists. Also such rare Armors can extremely cheap even as a 6L. I payed 14 chaos for mine and 6L it myself.

Gloves:

Rare Fingerless Gloves are great and even better when enchanted with a Loathing Essence. Just some well statted rare gloves or Maligaros are ok if you can afford to drop some stats.

Boots:

I usually advise against using Atziris Steps cause those are quite overrated by some. However in this particular build they fit quite well since our character is dealing long range with monsters that fire alot of spells. So dodging those projectiles helps alot.

Mutewind Wispersteps are great for boosting our damage and are really nice while mapping in safe content.

Windscream are an alternative to using Deodres Rings and even have some Elemental Dmg. However they have overall get outmatched by Doedres + Atziris Step combination. But its quite close!

!!! The Enchant should always be Life and Mana Leech so you can sustain your casting while out of range of our Warlords Mark Aura !!!

Rings, Amulet, Belt:

One of the Rings needs to be Doedres Damning if your not using Windscream Boots. It can have nice 6% castspeed corruption if you can get it.

Ideal Rare Rings should be Opal Rings and can have some Life/Resist> Castspeed> FireEleDmg. You can enchant them with Spellcrit on an open Suffix.

Amulets can have an additional curse corruption wich is pretty hard to come by on a well rolled piece. Other than that you should look for Life/Resist> CritMulti> Castspeed> Spelldmg> Critchance

Belts should have tons of Life and Resists. Note that strenght also gives life.

Jewels:

We use two Frozen Trail Jewels to boost our Frostbolt performance. Those have some Projdmg on them and benefit Magma Orb a bit as well. If youre not lazy like me you can swap those for some good rares if your doing shaper etc (but you dont need to)

Rare Jewels have have a large variety of stats. I have a link to poe.trade to check for jewels. Just increase the "count" under each column to look for more or less stats of each type. Basically all viable critmulti stats alongside life are pretty good.

If you want to use Magma Orb alone you want to use those instead of the Frozen Trails:

Gems and Links:
Spoiler

!!! Gems that are worth as Level 21 I pointed out in the first digit like this [21/20]
the second digit represents the optimal quality. For Frostbolt and especially Magma Orb this makes a huge difference in damage.

Also all gems are sorted by their priority from top to bottom!!!

Frostbolt (in Tempest Binding):

[21/20] Frostbolt
[20/20] Spell Echo
[20/20] Increased Critical Strikes
[20/20] Controlled Destruction

Just Frostbolt opted for best possible Damage. No Ele focus to benefit of freeze and Tempest Binding supports wich are dependant on Ailments.

Magma Orb (in Chest):

[21/20] Magma Orb
[20/20] Slower Projectiles
[20/20] Concentrated Effect
[20/20] Spell Echo
[20/20] Elemental Focus
[20/20] Increased Critical Strikes

Magma Orb opted for best Single Target. Slower Proj enables three hits on big bosses.

Magma Orb opted for clearing (if you prefer this):

[21/20] Magma Orb
[20/20] Greater Multiple Projectiles
[20/20] Increased Area of Effect
[20/20] Spell Echo
[20/20] Elemental Focus
[20/20] Controlled Destruction

So for big bosses you need to basically swap out three gems to get the above setup

Shield Charge (4L):

[01/01] Shield Charge
[20/20] Faster Attacks
[20/00] Fortify
[20/00] Blood Magic

Shield Charge is a really good Movement Skill and procs Inquisitor's "Instruments of Virtue".

Orb of Storms (4L):

[20/00] Orb of Storms
[20/20] Power Charge on Critical Strike
[08/20] Arcane Surge
[20/20] Increased Duration

This setup buffs us with the powerful Arcane Surge buff. A Level 20 Orb of Storm with all Supports in a 4L can power a level 8 Arcane Surge(its restricted to mana cost). The Orb also quickly collects us some juicy power charges to boost our crit chance. Since were a spell crit build this pretty much instantly caps out the charges.

Blasphemy Setup (3L):

[20/20] Blasphemy
[21/20] Enfeeble
[20/20] Warlords Mark

We run Warlords Mark for the leech and some juicy Endurance Charges. Enfeeble is one of the large pillars of our denfesive power. So its important to get a feeling of where your "sweet spot" is to affect your target with curses but stay out of harms way.

CWDT Setup (3L):

[20/00] Cast When Damage Taken
[20/20] Lightning Golem
[20/00] Immortal Call

A classic! We get very lenghty Immortal calls with our endurance charges and have a lightning Golem aka the best golem of them all. I like a level 20 CWDT cause I want some large spell supported. You can scale it down to your liking if you want.

Passive Tree, Ascendencies, Bandits, Pantheons:
Spoiler

Endgame Passive Trees:

Level 93 Tree (recommended Endgame level)
Potential Level 100 Tree

Ascendencies:

Order: Istruments of Virtue > Augury of Penitence > Righteous Providence > Inevitable Judgement

Bandits: Kill all (my choice) or Alira (if you enjoy leveling to level 95 for optimal passives)

Pantheons:

All of them are really good and should be maxed and swapped around depending on the content your up against. But here are some general recommendation if dont know where to start.

Soul of Lunaris: Works great for mapping and provides some "real" phys-mitigation that Evasion builds didnt have before.

Soul of Yugol:

Yugol is the best choice by far. Reflect can kill you otherwise!

Leveling your Character:
Spoiler

If you have enough budget and want to level a quickly as humanly possible. I highly recommend watching this video by Cutedog. I used this mathod and thinks its really damn good.

Leveling Trees:

25 Points

I recommend starting with Spark and Orb of Storms. Also you can level with Frostbolt. Unlike most builds I recommend going for crit even while leveling. For sustaining Mana you most likely have to run a Mana Flask while leveling alongside Clarity Aura.

You should also grab every Gem possible at the exact time they become available and start leveling those in your gear and off-gear. Blasphemy + Emfeeble + Warlords mark greatly help sutaining Mana.

50 Points

At 50 Points you should be close or past act 5 whre you can buy two "Frozen Trail" Jewels. Thats why we pick up those two sockets. Also we pick up "Wispers of Doom" given you dont have a Doedres Damning yet. You need to start running Blasphemy Auras as soon as possible.

75 Points

We travel to "Doom Cast" and commit further into the crit ascpect of our build.

101 Points

We grab Vaal Pact and Acrobatics pretty much by the time you start mapping.

116 Points (Level 93)

At this point we complete the Build. If you still dont have a Doedres Damning you need to drop one of the 3 point jewel sockets to keep "Wispers of Doom".

Last edited by GornoDD on Oct 29, 2017, 12:06:20 PM
Last bumped on Dec 12, 2017, 5:46:29 PM
looks interesting. Going to give a shot for the new events.
"
raniva wrote:
looks interesting. Going to give a shot for the new events.

Yeah I hope you like it. I wrote the guide before they annouced that Tempest Binding wont have a comeback in the next league. The build works very well on Magma Orb alone (Mathil did a MorbInquis a while ago). I feel I have greatly improved apon mathils version in terms of servivability by only cutting about 5% damage.

I have a PoB Pastebin for the full MOrb version here: https://pastebin.com/yG5em20u

One question:
I'm a lazy player, and changing 3 gems before a bossfight is a little bit, umpf.
So perhaps there is a possibility: There are gloves with integrated concentrated effect, Wyrmsight:

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Wyrmsign
Perhaps socketing a clearing configuration into this gloves as a pseudo 5 link, and keeping a single target version in the body armor would allow to fight more beefy things on the map (beyond bosses, triple essence monsters...) without switching gems around.
The Rampage can be fun too, when clearing a map fast. At 200 kills+ the fun starts. I used them in the breach league, it was nice counting the monsters in a breach.

Perhaps I will get this version a shot next season - I played a Cast on channeling / Magma orb build already, but it's a bit more clunky and doesn't work well with Inquisitor.

"
Llyrain wrote:
One question:
I'm a lazy player, and changing 3 gems before a bossfight is a little bit, umpf.
So perhaps there is a possibility: There are gloves with integrated concentrated effect, Wyrmsight:

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Wyrmsign
Perhaps socketing a clearing configuration into this gloves as a pseudo 5 link, and keeping a single target version in the body armor would allow to fight more beefy things on the map (beyond bosses, triple essence monsters...) without switching gems around.
The Rampage can be fun too, when clearing a map fast. At 200 kills+ the fun starts. I used them in the breach league, it was nice counting the monsters in a breach.

Perhaps I will get this version a shot next season - I played a Cast on channeling / Magma orb build already, but it's a bit more clunky and doesn't work well with Inquisitor.

You dont really need to change those for your average map bosses. Only for the t16/shaper/uberatziri you wanna swap em.

Wyrmsighn are kinda cool and could work quite well
Hey there ! In the new league, this helmet is not available anymore. Also, there is new stuffs and uniques that could be great with this build !

What kind of changes are possible, in your opinion ?
I'd like to play this build but it seems done :(
Last edited by Xelliriaaaa on Dec 11, 2017, 4:00:39 PM
Re hi.
Just saw about changes in the skill tree.

What about this changes at the ranger side ? Few things changed, Vaal Pact moved far away... Hmm..

Hope yo'll take some time for this :)
Thanks !
Xelli
Last edited by Xelliriaaaa on Dec 12, 2017, 5:47:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info