Grim Dawn

I'm hearing good things about this game so it's sparked my interest.

Does anyone here play it? If so, could you share your opinions on how it compares to POE? If you like it, what does GD get right that POE doesn't? If you don't like it, what does POE do better than GD?
Last bumped on Oct 9, 2017, 1:23:41 AM
There's a few of us pretty excited about the expansion. :)

Warning: The multiplayer for the Steam version and the GoG version are separate; make sure any friends you want to play with get the game in the same place you do. If you'd like to play multiplayer without an organised group, the Steam version has a larger playerbase.

What I like about Grim Dawn;
  • It's a lot slower than Path of Exile is at the moment.
  • The music is excellent; I sometimes turn off Spotify when playing it (rare for me).
  • It's quite atmospheric, like Diablo II was. I never felt that about PoE.
  • You're not expected to trade with other players to get viable gear. I've never traded a single item or played in a group. I've sank approximately 500 hours into GD.
  • If you've ever enjoyed a game mode like The Last Stand in Dawn of War 2, The Crucible DLC is well worth the money. It's a fun mode which stands on it's own without having silly rewards making it feel essential. If you don't want to spend that much on the game you won't be at a disadvantage at all. Only get it if you think you'll enjoy it.
  • Extreme mod support. It's mostly considered a single player game - the devs don't give a damn if you decide to create a level 85 character, a BiS weapon, or anything else. While they're not the only kind of mods available, that some of them have sticky threads on the forum kind of gets the message across. These guys think once you pay for a game, you should be able to play it your way. That and the offline play get Crate a lot of respect in my book.
  • I appreciate what GGG's intentions with skill gems, but I've never really felt like a Necromancer (or any other class) when playing. Grim Dawn is better at class identity / the fantasy of a class due to the class-specific skills, art on relevant windows, and so on.
  • You can get some pretty great pants.

What I dislike about Grim Dawn;
  • The engine is Old™. It's not great at utilising modern hardware... you get enough FPS. I don't know anyone who gets less than 60 FPS or more than 100.
  • It feels harsh to complain about an ARPG expecting you to play through the same content on three difficulties, but after Fall of Oriath, it does feel worse than before...
  • There is no Map / Rift style endgame. You kill the boss and there's a few dungeons you can play through, but that's about it. Once you're there you either grind the same stuff for better gear, or you create a new character and start over. This is my main gripe with the game.
  • Not all pants are as pleasant a surprise.

Looking to the future;
  • The expansion is adding an "illusions" NPC, which is just transmog by another name. It'll be good to have that visual customisation without having to open your wallet for every skin.
  • With Path of Exile I often think items' base skins are a bit dull, and the MTX are a bit too far down the opposite end of the spectrum. Grim Dawn strikes a nice balance. Putting this here because it ties in with the previous point; without transmog it doesn't matter as much.
  • There will be a patch released on the day the expansion launches featuring a new renderer and other optimisations. Hopefully this nets us a couple of dozen extra frames.

tl;dr; I'm a fan of the team at Crate. GD is one of the better ARPGs, it's priced extremely fairly, and I appreciate that it doesn't require an internet connection to play. You won't get as many hours out of it as you have PoE, but you also won't get hourly "please press M" messages in the chat window, either. It's up to you to decide if that's a trade-off you'd like.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
I am pretty much with Sarno on what is liked about Grim Dawn, though the dislike I have for Grim Dawn is a bit less.

I do agree that the games needs better optimisation with the game engine and I hope the improvements that are coming is enough that I can play with some builds that litter the screen with a lot of particles without too much lag. As for the three difficulties system, I never found to be a turn off, but more like I can easily tolerate it just as long as I can feel sense of progress in the gameplay, that is what mostly matter to me.

While Grim Dawn does not have that type endgame content we know off from PoE, it contains a couple of endgame contents like D2-style fighting the act bosses in the highest difficulty. Rogue-like dungeons are to some extent feels like a rift type endgame but on a much higher scale (closely like Atziri endgame content). Faction grind reps is another endgame content which from your allies rewards you better faction gears and augments and your enemies rewards you more mobs, hero mobs, and an endgame type boss which are really strong. Crucible DLC gives you an alternative mode to play the game and takes you right into the action and it almost feels like an arcade game. Then there are mods which can be treated as another endgame content and check out the creativity of the Grim Dawn community (I think someone is trying to replicate D2 with Grim Dawn mod supports).

I think any ARPG fan, more specifically, any fans that play the Diablo style games, will find a special spot for Grim Dawn. If they lean more toward games like D1, D2, and TQ, GD falls right up their alley easily.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Oct 9, 2017, 1:34:44 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info