EA Origin may have been hacked

https://www.reddit.com/r/origin/new/

Lots of people reporting that they're getting Password Reset emails and that the password and other details on their account have changed without the original owners permission.

If you still have access to your account, now is a good time to set up 2 Factor Authentication: https://help.ea.com/en-ca/help/account/origin-login-verification-information/
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Sep 17, 2017, 9:53:20 AM
Last bumped on Sep 18, 2017, 11:29:00 AM
As with most hacks, if the user was secure to begin with there wouldn't be much of an issue.

And the only pic i've seen so far shows the email sent to be a confirmation for the request to change the password, unless the users email was compromised it wouldn't be a problem.

If people need to do anything with the account security it should be from a secure device.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Thanks for the heads-up!

I'm more inclined to believe that it's a case of someone reusing e-mail addresses and passwords from another breach, but I decided it was a good reminder to boost account security.

I tried enabling e-mail-based log in verification, but the website said it would send me a security code I didn't receive. So yesterday I reached out to @EAHelp. I thought I was getting somewhere with them today until he abruptly said the reason it doesn't work is that I've the setting turned off. Er. Duh? To activate it I need to receive the security code they e-mail out. Me not getting that is the reason I'm contacting CS in the first place. This is dire...
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
Sarno wrote:
I tried enabling e-mail-based log in verification, but the website said it would send me a security code I didn't receive. So yesterday I reached out to @EAHelp. I thought I was getting somewhere with them today until he abruptly said the reason it doesn't work is that I've the setting turned off. Er. Duh? To activate it I need to receive the security code they e-mail out. Me not getting that is the reason I'm contacting CS in the first place. This is dire...
It's well written paragraphs like yours that confuse tech support and causes everyone to be infuriated with tech support :/
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Sep 18, 2017, 11:23:52 AM
"
It's well written paragraphs like yours that confuse tech support and causes everyone to be infuriated with tech support :/

Appreciate the compliment, but it turns out I was making an ass of myself;

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/email-problems-hotmail-outlook-may-last-another-24-hours/

I've no ill will towards @EAHelp. That Brad guy spent over 30 minutes talking with me, and probably just forgot why I contacted him initially because he was in ~5 conversations at once. He never tried to get rid of me, and when I later got in touch to tell him about Microsoft's e-mail issue he was really polite and thanked me for letting him know.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info