Breaches are killing the frame rate

I have indisputable proof that the PoE 3.0 game engine still has major performance flaws in many areas that flat out kill my frame rate. Here is one carefully documented example of such a frame rate killing problem.

I'm running Orchard map no problem:

when all of a sudden my frame rate crashed.

Hmm... no mobs around at all so WTF just happened. I change direction and fps is back to normal. I go back down the path I'm on and the frame rate tanks again. Go back the other way and the frame rate is normal again. I finally notice a red symbol on the mini-map every time my frame rate tanked and when I moved away and the red symbol was out of my mini-map view I'm back to my normal 60 fps. So what the hell is that red symbol? I go over to it and it's a Breach.

To be 100% sure I go back up the path until the red symbol is off the mini-map. My frame rate is back to normal again. I decided to go counter-clockwise around the map and kill all the mobs.

60 fps with the usual micro-stutters and fps slowdowns due to the mob packs. All normal all the way around until I come back to the Breach from the left side (remember I went counter-clockwise from the breach to clear the rest of the map). As soon as the red Breach symbol shows up again on the mini-map:

Crash... my frame rate just tanked again because my Frame Time jumped up to near 100 ms. I didn't want to lag die so I skipped the breach. I had a hard enough time with just killing the Essence boss because of it's close proximity to the breach.

In all the time my Internet latency stayed under 100ms so my Comcast link from SW Florida to Miami to WDC was normal speed and 100% not the cause of the frame rate crash. Also the fact that I have a gaming rig that plays at 60 fps everywhere in the map except when the breach symbol shows up on my mini-map 100% proves that my gaming rig is not the cause. GGG and anyone posting here can't blame the fact that I have an AMD R9 270 GPU (2 GB of ram). Sorry, no troll replies stating "AMD gpu sucks compared to nVidia". That isn't the problem here. Whatever server side extra code that needs to be run per frame iteration when the breach is present is what is killing my frame rate. So it's all on the server. Whether playing Monday morning at 10:00am meant the WDC realm was overloaded and my session wasn't getting enough CPU processing time I don't know but the fact that for everyone that posts feedback on playing performance problems and only gets a "Mute Marine" response from GGG tells me that there are many server performance problems that players have to contend with and GGG clearly knows what they are. It is GGG's dirty little secret to pretend that QoP is great for PoE.

EDIT: If the breach needs more memory to locally store all the breach graphic elements than my 2 GB R270 has and it must go to main memory to get some of the 3D elements I don't know. If someone who has access to a 2 GB and a 4 GB AMD GPU (like a 470 or 480) can run tests that would be helpful.

My hardware:
1. Intel 870 GPU @ 3.5 GHz
2. 8 GB DDR3-1600 ram
3. 500 GB Samsung 840 SSD
4. Gigabyte Windforce R270 GPU with 2 GB DDR5 vram
5. Windows 7 Pro SP1 + updates
6. LG wide screen monitor running full screen @ 2560 x 1080
7. PoE is set to DirectEX9 mode with latest AMD Crimson video driver
    (GGG still hasn't debugged PoE 3.0 for Directx11 yet. FoO is still beta for DX11 on AMD.)
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Sep 4, 2017, 3:57:47 PM
Last bumped on Sep 8, 2017, 11:55:11 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
A lot of stuff that killing frame rate...
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
Opening maps in your hideout with the breachlord portal effect causes this, too.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info