Skill gems...transferable?

Say you create a new character.
Can you immediately start using a fully upgraded gem that say, a friend gave you?

Or is there some sort of a level requirement?
There will be requirements:

Gems have attribute requirements based on their type and level. For example, a higher level cleave skill gem requires more strength than a low level one.

From their Skills page:

http://pathofexile.com/world/skills

Edit: No super-twinked powerlevling for you :) Though perhaps there's another way...
I am a poor freezingly cold soul
So far from where
I intended to go
Sorry to dig up this older thread but I had an idea how transferring skill gems to a lower level character could work without twinking issues...

Lets say a character gets a level 20 skill gem but cannot meet its requirements he could still equip it but only use it as a level X skill gem (where X is the top level still supported by his attributes)

This way you could transfer some really useful skill gem to a new character and wouldn't have to level it up. But it would still not give that character any direct advantage in combat.
Cannot run out of time! There is infinite time...
You are finite. Zathras is finite. This is wrong tool...
GGG is looking into allowing the player to decide which level to use a skill at. There are a number of reasons you may want to use a skill at a lower level than it currently is.
Forum Sheriff
"
tpapp157 wrote:
GGG is looking into allowing the player to decide which level to use a skill at. There are a number of reasons you may want to use a skill at a lower level than it currently is.

So the functionality of a skill changes a great deal as the skill level increases?
Most likely you would opt to keep it at a lower level due to mana drain. personally I hope they don't allow this.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
"
Wittgenstein wrote:
Most likely you would opt to keep it at a lower level due to mana drain. personally I hope they don't allow this.

At 1st, I was for it, but now I clearly see it would conflict with few things, like TRADES! Level gem once and have it for all chars, and all times - unless you need higher level one asap, or right now. Bad deal.
"I am The Banisher, the ill will that snuffs the final candle." - Seal of Doom (MTG)
"
tormenta wrote:
"
Wittgenstein wrote:

At 1st, I was for it, but now I clearly see it would conflict with few things, like TRADES! Level gem once and have it for all chars, and all times - unless you need higher level one asap, or right now. Bad deal.

I agree, but if they don't include this then I hope they have an option to stop your gem from levelling up.

Also they could add a currency item that lets you inverse level your gem by 1 level.
RIP Bolto

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info