What is wrong with Buddhism?

Google sucked so now I ask you.
Last bumped on Jul 28, 2017, 3:25:21 PM
As someone who's spent more than half of my life living in a predominantly Buddhist country (Cambodia), I can offer the following answers;

1. Not a lot, when compared to Abrahamic religions.

2. There is a common belief (rooted in the Buddhist notion of rebirth/reincarnation) that if a person is born with disabilities, it's because they did something to deserve it in a previous life. This can be considered to be a misunderstanding of Buddhism itself, but it is still prevalent in Buddhist societies, and it's part of the reason why disabled people are so readily cast out by their families which is a common occurrence.

3. Like most religions, there are different splinters of Buddhism, each with differing views on certain subjects. I'm not going to go off into the pros and cons of each, needless to say some are more or less harmful than others.

4. Like all religions, the institutional arm of it generally seeks to exploit people's stupidity/ignorance for financial gain. This is in no way unique to Buddhism, but Buddhism isn't exempt from it either. "I know you don't have enough money to feed your family, but if you donate a couple of dollars to my Wat then you'll be rewarded with endless riches in your next life, so it's a great deal bro" (my wife's family got very angry when I suggested giving less money to the local pagoda in order to have enough money to send their kids to school).

As a sidenote, I should add that the whole thing about reincarnation/rebirth is widely misrepresented in Western culture, look into it if you haven't already. The basic premise is that life is suffering and that by achieving Nirvana (a mental state where suffering isn't possible), you break the cycle and stop being reborn.
It's less nutty than Christianity/Judaism/Islam, IMO.
Nothing that I know of.
Censored.
Both everything and nothing at all.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
It's less nutty than Christianity/Judaism/Islam, IMO.

Please don't list them up like they are the same. Some things may be a bit crappy, but some are utterly fucked up.

Christianity is a joke nowadays. If anything, they welcome their own doom with open borders, I mean arms. Hell, 99% of those who have "Christian" in their passport, don't give a flying fuck about its teachings.

Judaism is overrated. There are not enough of them to cause any real trouble. Some have power through money, but that doesn't change the fact that the religion itself poses no threat to humankind.

And then there's Islam. Oh my...

Buddhism is cool, though.
Kuduku, you majestic, magnificent, pulsating, wooden shaft of a man. - ZiggyD
Last edited by MinasMorgul on Jul 28, 2017, 3:59:58 AM
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
2. There is a common belief (rooted in the Buddhist notion of rebirth/reincarnation) that if a person is born with disabilities, it's because they did something to deserve it in a previous life. This can be considered to be a misunderstanding of Buddhism itself, but it is still prevalent in Buddhist societies, and it's part of the reason why disabled people are so readily cast out by their families which is a common occurrence.

The step-by-step process as envisioned by yours truly:
step 1: cast out your disabled nephew.
step 2: be reborn disabled for having cast out your nephew.
step 3: get cast out by family for being disabled.
step 4: repeat forever.
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.
"
Upandatem wrote:

The step-by-step process as envisioned by yours truly:
step 1: cast out your disabled nephew.
step 2: be reborn disabled for having cast out your nephew.
step 3: get cast out by family for being disabled.
step 4: repeat forever.

This, I read and heard Buddhism can hurt a lot of people because of those kind of cycles. There are also kids who pass their time learning mantras or whatever instead of going to school.

Better than semitics religions but still got some bad stuff inside.

Also Richard Gere and steven seagul.

I also read somewhere the Dalai Lama can t condemn the act of self immolation from monks because it would curse them or something and it would be worst than their death. So he let them do it :/
Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Jul 28, 2017, 6:24:54 AM
"
lolozori wrote:

I also read somewhere the Dalai Lama can t condemn the act of self immolation from monks because it would curse them or something and it would be worst than their death. So he let them do it :/

You think ritualistic suicide is the same as common suicide and should be banned/stopped?

And if so, for what reason.

I think there is nothing wrong with ritualistic suicide if it's restrained to the self as much as possible karma wise.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
dont they follow jabba or something?

I dont see any any key!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info